View Poll Results: Who is the better bowler?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dale Steyn

28 48.28%
  • Allan Donald

26 44.83%
  • Shaun Pollock

4 6.90%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    10.don everybody
    Yeah I actually think we're better off not being able to decipher what it says easily.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Think it's Hoe's multi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Akram? Goodness no.
    17 MOM
    had best stats in early 90s
    2 hat-tricks
    7 MOS
    ..etc

now think about controversies , injuries , diabetics , pak team's unity , fielding standards..etc

ESPN 25 legends
    no:3 pace bowler behind lillee and marshall
    a panel member said , he is among 3 best fast bowlers he has seen . marshal , akram and lillee , akram had more weapons than those two.
    ask akram's contemporaries , who is their best fast bowler..

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    I would rate Wasim behind Imran and more often than not Waqar, but that is just my opnion and it was Waqar who was one of my favorites growing up, just though he was the more dangerous of the two.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

State Vice-Captain
    He was a great fast bowler, there's no doubt. But he isn't the best. I can think of at least 5 off the top of my head who I consider better than him.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    I agree that there should be a separate thread for this, but anyway, just a thought on the whole Akram topic: Taking the batch of the 90s bowlers - Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose and McGrath (McGrath to a lesser extent as his skills reached their peak in the 2000s according to me) - The most destructive peak was, I think most will agree, Waqar's. Ambrose, McGrath and Pollock were the ones who would give you great results day in and day out with their enormous range of subtle variations which required as enormous a skill package as the reverse swinging erotica of the Ws. And the thing about Donald and Wasim was that both of them would consistently through the years produce those incredible spells of bowling which looked (and were) magnificent, breathtaking, and unplayable. They were special because they could produce those kind of wondrous spells quite regularly through the year, but of course not in every test. I think that's how I think of these guys.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    My dream opening combo would be to see Steyn and Waqar bowling together. One has the best outswinger I have ever seen and the other the best inswinger.

Incidentally Waqar has been hired to coach in the IPL and Steyn is playing for that team. Maybe he could learn a few tricks from Waqar.

the inswinging yorker please

State Vice-Captain
    It's been so long since Waqar's prime, but did he even have any tricks in his armoury other than the yorker? He's synonymous with that for good reason, but rarely do you see footage where he's doing something else with the ball. Steyn is a far more complete fast bowler IMO, especially now that he's obviously working more effectively with the one that nips in. Definitely has a nastier shorter length for one.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 09-03-2013 at 02:41 AM.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar

Banned
    the video quality is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Cricket is the only sport where fans can claim with a straight face the standard is getting progressively worse and be taken seriously.
    Not at all. There are certain aspects of cricket that have improved over the past 20 years and others that have declined. In the same way that certain aspects of basketball have declined. The argument is about how relative the improvements are and how important the declines are. The answer is that the players of today are better suited to the game of today but that doesnt mean that they would be better suited to the game of a generation or so. Separate to this point, Donald is hardly Pathe news material.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    It's been so long since Waqar's prime, but did he even have any tricks in his armoury other than the yorker? He's synonymous with that for good reason, but rarely do you see footage where he's doing something else with the ball. Steyn is a far more complete fast bowler IMO, especially now that he's obviously working more effectively with the one that nips in. Definitely has a nastier shorter length for one.
    Thing with Waqar is that they all swung out with the new ball.All swung in thereafter. Until the 2nd new ball (when needed) when they all swung out again. He was a superb bowler but Akram's unpredictability made him the one to fear for mine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Thing with Waqar is that they all swung out with the new ball.All swung in thereafter. Until the 2nd new ball (when needed) when they all swung out again. He was a superb bowler but Akram's unpredictability made him the one to fear for mine.
    yep, that was what pretty much happened

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Tbh, I don't see how anyone could find Pollock attractive.

What other SA bowlers do people rank better than Steyn?
    Well for me, Steyn is our best bowler ever. That said, I'd say Proctor could have been rated > Pollock if he'd had more chances. I'd definitely take Proctor as a cricketer over Pollock though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Steyn's overtaken Donald ever so slightly IMO, just in the last series or two. It'd been obvious to me for a little while that it was likely he would eventually do it in my estimation but I think I'd now be happy enough, if Steyn retired now, to put him ahead of Donald, ever so slightly. My earlier posts in this thread from 2010 or whenever it was started actually ranked Pollock ahead of Donald which is something I don't even quite remember myself thinking, but there you go. I'd have him marginally behind now as a bowler, but still comfortably ahead as the best cricketer of the three.
    Yeah, for me Steyn>Donald. There will always be the nonsense about Steyn playing against weaker batsmen than Donald, but bare in mind that for a large part of his career Steyn orchestrated his own wickets, whereas Donald had Fanie/Shaun to build pressure. Up until a year ago, Morkel really couldn't create enough much pressure to help Steyn. If anything, Morkel's stats were boosted by Steyn's pressure.*

The difference between the two goes beyond stats, imo. Why is Marshall rated the best ever by most? I mean, his stats are pretty similar to most of his competition, so what makes Malcolm stand out? There is something that goes beyond stats that gets someone like Marshall recognition over his statistical rivals, and to me that is the same something that makes Steyn more valuable than Donald as a bowler. Who would you want to take the new ball for you in a crucial match?

*I feel dirty for that little excerpt insulting Morkel. I don't know if I'll forgive myself.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread Information