• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Gayle Vs Michael Bevan - Who would you prefer ?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I would pick Bevan. Mind boggling that he wasn't as good at the highest level.

Gayle is the best T20 batsman in world.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I would take Gayle in ODI's 8000 runs @ 39
where Bevan made 6900 @ 54.
Bevans 67 not outs obviously make that 54 look alot better, also Gayle made 19 hundreds to Bevans 6. Sure Bevan was the ultimate finisher but if I had to pick I would take Gayle, you need runs at the top before you can finish:p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bevans 67 not outs obviously make that 54 look alot better, also Gayle made 19 hundreds to Bevans 6. Sure Bevan was the ultimate finisher but if I had to pick I would take Gayle, you need runs at the top before you can finish:p
So, will you take Ganguly ahead of Dhoni too?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
:wallbash:

I... don't even...

Surely Bevan being impossible to get out at the finish is a big plus for him, not something to be held against him. He was too good to get out FFS.

And, FTR, Bevan made his 6900 from about 30 less innings - he batted less times given his position, whereas Gayle has batted in all bar 5 games (IIRC, CBF looking up the stats again).

In an All Time XI to take on the Martians, Bevan would be the first name on the sheet, whereas Gayle wouldn't even cross my mind as a selection.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In an All Time XI to take on the Martians, Bevan would be the first name on the sheet, whereas Gayle wouldn't even cross my mind as a selection.
In such a match Viv, Muralitharan and Tendulkar will be the first 3 names on my mind.

Bevan might also be in the team, but will surely not be the first name on the sheet.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gayles has more reason to be selected in ODI dream teams than several others who get the nod, like Sehwag and the like. Not many players have that kind of average/strike rate combo when opening the batting for so long. And don't forget he can bowl. There are a few names in competetion, though, that could perform their secondary roles better, like Gilchrist and Jayasuriya, so I wouldn't select him personally.

Bevan, though, is an absolute must. There's not a single ODI bat who could do his job better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed. We've (Australia) had many great players in our period of absolute domination of ODIs but Bevan was the best. He's the kind of player where you could expect him to bat with the tail, score 100+ runs needed, and you wouldn't be laughed at...because he had done that kind of thing throughout his career...regularly.

Himannv

International Coach
If its ODI's the choice is quite clearly Bevan. He's easily among the top 5 best ODI batsmen of all time.

In Tests and certainly T20s it would probably be Gayle though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle's quality and his superhuman IPL performances suggest he's missing out on his best years at the moment but he's definitely not as good as Bevan was.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Depends on the team and which position. Gayle if we are talking about opening but from3-7 Bevan all the way.