• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's New Bowling Coach

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Simons to exit, Dawes to be bowling coach - Hindustan Times

The Australia series would be the last assignment for India’s bowling coach Eric Simons and the South African would be replaced by Australian Joe Dawes. A decision to this effect was taken at the BCCI’s working committee meeting in Chennai on Monday, a Board source revealed.

Although the official line has been that Simons has been replaced, he has been under fire since India’s inconsistent bowling show in England and in the four-match Test series in Australia.

The conditions in both the countries were favourable for seamers but the Indian bowlers failed to make an impact.

Simons, who joined the Indian team in January 2010, was also criticised for his inability to get the best out of Ishant Sharma, who was the find of the last Indian tour to Australia in 2007.

Injury management was also an area of concern during Simons’ tenure. India suffered heavily when Zaheer Khan limped out on the first day of the Lord’s Test and missed the entire England series.

In the West Indies prior to that, Munaf Patel was kept in the squad despite nursing an elbow problem and looked pedestrian after he was picked for the final Test in Dominica.

Recently, former Australian fast bowling great Jeff Thomson had raised questions over Simons’ performance during a chat with Hindustan Times.

“I thought Ishant bowled well, although I don’t like the length he’s bowling, it’s about a few yards too short. I also think India need a bowling coach to guide the young fast bowlers. You’ve got a bloke who hasn’t played a single Test. If you had someone like Dennis Lillee or Craig McDermott it would do a world of difference to bowlers.”

Simons is also the head coach of Delhi Daredevils.
Anybody knows about him??? Good selection or bad

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Joe Dawes, one of the best bowlers of the past 20 years to never play for Australia. Pretty sure he's been a bowling coach for the Bulls since retiring so I think he'll make the step up pretty comfortably.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Did the paper really try to imply Zaheer Khan's poor injury record was his fault?

I mean come on its not his fault the guy doesn't have the sense to rest up at his age and likely workload ahead of a big series.

Some of the comments on cricinfo were funny, based around hirong Akram on the basis that he'll be good for SC conditions, because clearly that's where the bowlers are struggling...

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dawes was a very, very good bowler. I remember back to the days in the early 2000s when the Queensland attack could almost comfortably represent Australia. Bichel, Kasper, Dawes, Dale, Muller (:ph34r:).etc

He does have quite a bit of experience coaching around the Australian circuit, and was very good at getting people out. Should be a good appointment for India.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dawes, being a recently-retired player, has that advantage. If he can supply tactical as also technical inputs to the bowlers, it will be very useful. He will, of course, need bowlers and a captain who will comply. Some bowlers will bowl exactly as they're told, while some others (Munaf- will not crank up pace even when it's a necessity/Ojha- will not turn the ball) will not listen. The captain himself does not listen or adjust. A coach who does his homework and research is more useful than someone with an impressive record or capability in his playing days of bowling over 150k. Too often, we hear of calls to hire Akram, whose abilities are never questionable, but it's not a feasible solution now.

Since Dawes was a part of a successful Bulls attack, he can help in getting top batsmen out. He will, however, also handle the aspect of keeping the bowlers at hand in prime condition over time.