• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thami Tsolekile succeeds Boucher

rza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
After a couple of years of fraught speculation, we finally know who Mark Boucher's designated successor is - Thami Tsolekile.

Tsolekile's inclusion in the list of 22 nationally-contracted players announced on Monday is not only a reward for how well the bizhub Highveld Lions wicketkeeper/batsman has done domestically, but also a clear indication that the national selectors have earmarked him as the successor to Boucher when the world record-holder hangs up his gloves after the tour to England ends in September.

"Yes, Thami wouldn't be getting a national contract if we didn't think he was the successor," convenor of selectors Andrew Hudson told SuperSport.com on Monday. "There's obviously still a selection process that has to happen before any series, so you can't take anything for granted, but it's a decision based on his SuperSport Series performances over the last two or three years and also on the fact he's never let the SA A team down."

Finding Boucher's successor has been a complicated business, with Dane Vilas, Heino Kuhn and Daryn Smit all making strong challenges as well, but Tsolekile has seemingly won the race thanks to his no-frills glovework and tenacious batting.

"Thami's been a serious contender for a while, he's 100% as a gloveman plus he's been scoring runs. He made 58 against Australia in November on a difficult pitch and that showed he has some serious ability," Hudson said.

http://www.supersport.com/cricket/sa-team/news/120213/Now_we_know_Bouchers_successor
What do you think about Thami succeding Boucher? I think he was a logical choice since Van Wyk messed up his chances in the World Cup, and the fact that Thami has been around the SA A team for quite some time now. It's disappointing for De Kock, Kuhn and others, but I have no problem with the guy except that he's 31 years old and his batting record is not really awesome.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given how long Boucher was around the scene for, I'm pretty surprised they've gone for an older bloke and not someone like de Kock who's still a teenager.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know if you blokes are serious or just making de Kock jokes but the bloke can't even make his franchise side so he was no hope here.

rza

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't know if you blokes are serious or just making de Kock jokes but the bloke can't even make his franchise side so he was no hope here.
I don't think Tsolekile's batting will sustain him in the team, so we might as well see Kuhn taking over, plus Tsolekile is old so De Kock looks more like the one for the future, when he plays.

kingkallis

International Coach
A 31 year old Thami will be 32-33 when Boucher quits so I dont see any point in giving him a chance. Jeez!

Marius

International Debutant
I was pretty surprised too.

I thought they could give any of Kuhn, Darren Smit, or Dane Vilas a go.

Tsolekile probably only has two to three years in him, tops.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Can't do worse than Kieswetter.
Actually yeah he could do much worse than Kieswetter. I'm not a bit Kieswetter fan but if he's not better at one day cricket than Kuhn I'm not here. They also have Buttler and Davies to try out of Kieswettter fails so they're hardly lucky in the OD wicket keeper department.

And thinking about it they can return him in exchange for Kuhn too. Good return *** exchange deal and Kieswetter might make the SA team.
That would be the stupidest trade ever from an England perspective. Yeah, lets trade away our ODI keeper for a keeper who is worse at one day cricket than him and worse at four day cricket than our Test keeper. Can't lose...

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I was pretty surprised too.

I thought they could give any of Kuhn, Darren Smit, or Dane Vilas a go.

Tsolekile probably only has two to three years in him, tops.
And those three all average more than Tsolekile in FC cricket.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Would Kieswetter have made the SA side right now, had he stayed? Doubtful, i guess.