• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig mad with power while Channel Nine request cuddles, compensation

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
TV executives know full well the best sides won't be put out when they sign deals. And as a fan, I see the bigger picture. It is one game out of how many this summer? If Tendulkar wasn't on 99 hundreds, it wouldn't be an issue.

First off, Greig shouldn't be allowed to be associated with international cricket. He was a big player in a league that threatened the future of the game.

Secondly, whoever this McNamara character is, he can jog on as well. I'm sick of TV execs who now think they are bigger than the game and have it by the plums simply because they have the bucks.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah read that.

If that influences the decision as to whether Channel 9 show Australia vs. Sri Lanka on delay for the ****ing rugby league, rather than put it on Gem, I'll ****ing blow my top.
It's going to happen IMO, though the talk about stars not playing is just bluster. The NRL opener will rate way higher than a bog standard ODI, particularly if it's a dead rubber. The decision won't be any more complicated than that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's going to happen IMO, though the talk about stars not playing is just bluster. The NRL opener will rate way higher than a bog standard ODI, particularly if it's a dead rubber. The decision won't be any more complicated than that.
Come on Ausage, once again I am not saying the cricket should be on 9 ahead of the NRL.

I am saying the cricket should be live on GEM when the NRL is on. Not on bloody delay after the rugby.

This thread is proof NRL fans can't read :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Come on Ausage, once again I am not saying the cricket should be on 9 ahead of the NRL.

I am saying the cricket should be live on GEM when the NRL is on. Not on bloody delay after the rugby.

Has there actually been any suggestion at all of Nine showing the ODI on delay though?

They'll show the ODI either side of the NRL game on Nine, and while the NRL is on they'll stick the ODI on GEM. I haven't heard any suggestion of a delay so far from anyone other than you.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Has there actually been any suggestion at all of Nine showing the ODI on delay though?

They'll show the ODI either side of the NRL game on Nine, and while the NRL is on they'll stick the ODI on GEM. I haven't heard any suggestion of a delay so far from anyone other than you.
Why would I make this up? It's in the article Nnanden linked to.

Concerns over the rotation policy have come at an inopportune time for CA, with the last game before the tri-series finals shown on delay in NSW and Queensland because of a clash of scheduling with round one of the NRL.
Nine is debating whether to show both the Friday-night clash at the MCG and the NRL blockbuster between Brisbane and Parramatta on its main digital channel rather than offload the game to one of its secondary channels and leave viewers with analogue televisions unable to watch. However, this would mean the cricket would be shown on delay, angering CA.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I can't really see them putting it 'against' each other, so delay seems likely, which is a disgrace obv.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

Nah, we just have a problem with clear communication ;)

My point was more about the fact that 9 do what they want due to ratings. If they feel they'll get higher numbers by putting on the cricket after the NRL then that's what they'll do. They likely feel that putting the cricket on alongside the footy will cause a drop in numbers for both shows, and I reckon they're correct. I for one am more likely to watch the cricket because of this. Doesn't make it right, and it sucks for the cricket fan who isn't interested in RL but they're just looking at numbers.

Isn't there a law that having the rights to sporting events of national signifigance forces you to use them live (or close to) if you have the capacity? Would have thought an international cricket match fell into the national signifigance category, and with Gem they're certainly capable.

EDIT: or what benchy said above me.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
Isn't there a law that having the rights to sporting events of national signifigance forces you to use them live (or close to) if you have the capacity? Would have thought an international cricket match fell into the national signifigance category, and with Gem they're certainly capable.
It has to be on the main channel, but not sure about the live aspect. I think that's why they are talking delay, cause they can't put cricket on gem and footy on 9. they would need to do it the other way around, which they don't want to. I think.

And nobody wants to watch parra anyway.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm pretty sure they can show one live on Gem and one live on 9, if they ask permission from the minister in charge of whatever profile it falls under and they get it. However, the one that gets played live on Gem still has to been shown on 9 at some point within the next 24 (or 12, or 6. I dunno know) hours

Spark

Global Moderator
I prefer the cricket on GEM tbh. Much better quality video.
Ditto. If you don't get GEM fair enough (but only to an extent, why the **** don't you have digital yet? hurry up before your TV dies), but they're both free to air channels, they both require the same amount of effort to access. There's really no difference.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ditto. If you don't get GEM fair enough (but only to an extent, why the **** don't you have digital yet? hurry up before your TV dies), but they're both free to air channels, they both require the same amount of effort to access. There's really no difference.
Well we have a digital TV here (several in fact) but our antenna is rooted so we don't have any GEM reception. In fact we don't actually get reception for any FTA stations other than through Foxtel, which will only give you GEM if you subscribe to Foxtel HD.

Last edited: