• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dual Internationals...

Craig

World Traveller
Greg Chappell played for Australia at age level at baseball, (I think his brother Trevor did it as well).

Sobers played for Barbados at football, table tennis and dominos (I kid you not), a mate of Sobers when he played league cricket in England once managed to get him a trail as a 'keeper at Everton, but he said no.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ian Buxton captained Derby County Football Club and Derbyshire County Cricket Club.

Oh, sorry. You said sportsmen!

Craig

World Traveller
The bloke whop faced the last ball when Trevor Chappell bowled underarm to, played for the All Blacks.

Herschelle Gibbs was a schoolboy rugby star (I think he played for South Africa).

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
:) You missed maybe New Zealands most well-known dual international (other than the Golden One Jeff Wilson): Mr Brian McKechnie of New Zealand was a dual international lucky enough to be involved in two of our nations most controversial sporting moments.
The first was the infamous underarm ODI in which McKechnie was the reciever of the dubious bowl when playing for the Black Caps against Australia.
The second is still well know in New Zealand. It was 20-30 years ago and the All Blacks were playing Wales and were behind by 1 or 2 points I don't remember the exact details as I wasn't born at the time. Anyway the All Blacks had a lineout withing kicking distance and on commencing the throw Andy Hayden dived out of the lineout and feigned a push was given by the opposition. The referee gave a penalty to New Zealand which McKechnie kicked and the All Blacks won the test against Wales.

Last edited:

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh you do have that one, I seem to have arrived on the late bus. Oh well better luck next time...:P

anzac

International Debutant
yeah the penalty was actually given for a different & legitimate incident in the lineout, not for Hayden's dive.....

1978 All Black Grand Slam Tour of Great Britain Captained by Graeme Mourie - the last time The All Blacks have played all the Home Nations on the same tour, and this was the last Test - v Wales to secure the Grand Slam

I seem to recall that Mark Burgess may have actually Captained both the NZ cricket & soccer teams in the early '70s.......

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Shane Warne was a budding AFL player, but gave cricket a go in the end when he was rejected by St Kilda.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
A rather random bump. Anyway, on Tindill (who played test cricket and test rugby for NZ), I'd say he's the only dual international/dual official. Not only did he do the test cricket and rugby combo, but he also refereed a rugby test match and umpired in a cricket test in NZ.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not international but Errol Stewart, who played 6 ODI for South Africa (the last in 2002) also played for the Natal Sharks in the Currie Cup and Super 12 rugby for the Sharks franchise. Stewart won both the Currie Cup in rugby and cricket in 1995.

When Stewart wasn't playing cricket or rugby, he was a lawyer and would have played more cricket for South Africa and gone to the 2003 World Cup but burned his bridges with the then UCB for not touring Zimbabwe (as captain on an A tour) on "moral grounds".

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adam Gilchrist captained the Australian under 15's soccer team.

WG Grace held some hurdles world record for a time.

Viv Richards played soccer for Antigua.

Steve Waugh , at age 19 was offered a contract to play soccer profesionally , he turned it down , opting for cricket.
Graham Thorpe was in much the same situation.

Jonty Rhodes played hockey for South Africa at the olympics.

Micheal Slater was in various underage Australian teams as a hockey player.

Adam Griffith (Tasmanian fast bowler) was a member of Australia's under 19's basketball team.

Curtley Ambrose always considered himslef a basketball player , his dream was to play in the NBA , only took up cricket seriously at age 18.

Shane Watson was in a few Australian under age Rubgy teams.

Mark Waugh was a very handy 400m hurdles runner in his younger days.

Micheal Clark (the WA one) played under age AFL for WA.

Im a member of ACT rep sides for cricket & Rugby league , not exactly a dual international but getting there:D

How did he possibly survive that?

Howsie

International Captain
Brendon McCullum played first-five for the NZ Sec Schools team, he forced Dan Carter onto the wing. Broom also played in that team I think?

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I believe Dirk Nannes may have represented Australia at skiing. Although I'm not too sure cause in Aus, skiing has a similar profile to tiddlywinks.