• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Copycat bowling actions

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Trent Boult started off imitating Wasim Akram, but now there's more Chaminda Vaas to his action (which his build is definitely more suited to).

subshakerz

International Coach
Vaas later in his career add a few styles (like hiding the ball with his hand at the last minute or having the bowling arm slowly creep up as he approaches the crease) that certainly look like they came from the Akram handbook.

Walsh in his early part of his career seemed to have a very similar action to Holding.

Phil Tuffnell and Vettori have similar actions a bit, not sure if thats on purpose.

Ntini I think also modelled his action after Marshall.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Trent Boult started off imitating Wasim Akram, but now there's more Chaminda Vaas to his action (which his build is definitely more suited to).
No-one should try imitate Akram's action, he was awesome despite his action rather than because of it.

Anyone else picked up on Kyle Jarvis being a pretty obvious McGrath imitator?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
To casual appearances, I suppose he seemed like a spent force towards the end, but he was MUCH better than Kapil and Botham at the fag end. His stats aren't too shabby either.
Yes, and more importantly unlike most other fast bowlers with very long careers his speed didn't drop too much. That's why I think he is a unique case of longevity for fast bowlers in the modern era.

smash84

The Tiger King
Can agree with this (yeah fitness and athleticism are two different things though there's a thin line between the two), but think that the qualities of Walsh are required more for a bowler.

Give me a Glenn McGrath over a Shoaib Akhtar (or a Kapil Dev over a Shane Bond, for that matter)...

I never made that comparison.
In the analogy aren't you equating McGrath to Walsh and Akhtar and Bond to Holding?

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, yeah but there is a difference between Usain Bolt and your average long distance Kenyan runner. Endurance and explosive atheleticism are two different things. It's not just about Holding's pace; one look at his run up and you'd be hard pressed to say he wouldn't have made a pretty good track & fielder himself.
I think he was in contention as a 400 m runner for Jamaica before he turned his attention to cricket

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Holding was a well-known fitness fanatic. Apparently he had weights strapped to his lower legs during all non-game activities and trainings, theory being that when he took them off for game days running around would become comparatively easy. From that, you can understand how he made bowling look so smooth and effortless.

smash84

The Tiger King
Holding was a well-known fitness fanatic. Apparently he had weights strapped to his lower legs during all non-game activities and trainings, theory being that when he took them off for game days running around would become comparatively easy. From that, you can understand how he made bowling look so smooth and effortless.
LOL.........just NO.........that was Marshall and Holding narrated that about Marshall