• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Book – Help?

statcus

Cricket Spectator
Hi all,

I'm a writer and have been asked to look into writing a book about cricket for a publisher I work for. I need to come up with some new interesting 'different' angles on cricket / a fresh approach and thought this might be a good place to ask about it. Are there any books about cricket that you would like to get hold of but have never seen / are not available? Any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks so much. Kate

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you want to sell enough copies to keep your employer happy then I'd suggest that you need to ghost an autobiography for a big name current player - on the other hand you could write a good book, but that probably wouldn't be a commercially viable proposition

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's an interesting question. I'm sure our book review team have a broader knowledge of the extant books on cricket, but one field I've always been interested in is first-class cricketers who've excelled in other fields.

There can't be too many other sports that those who've played at first class level include a noble laureate, a British Prime Minister & the only man to score a hat-trick in the FIFA world cup.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi Kate. :)

From a personal point of view, I'd love to see a full and detailed account of the Victory Tests in 1945 - not simply from a cricketing point of view (there are plenty of accounts of individual players' experiences in those matches, and it's easy enough to look up the scorecards), but rather from a wider social and historical perspective. These matches played an important role in bringing cricket back to England after the war and I think the full story - as far as it can be told - of how this series of matches assisted in the public's recovery from the horrors of the previous six years and into a new, more positive age, would be a fascinating read.

fredfertang

Hi Kate. :)

From a personal point of view, I'd love to see a full and detailed account of the Victory Tests in 1945 - not simply from a cricketing point of view (there are plenty of accounts of individual players' experiences in those matches, and it's easy enough to look up the scorecards), but rather from a wider social and historical perspective. These matches played an important role in bringing cricket back to England after the war and I think the full story - as far as it can be told - of how this series of matches assisted in the public's recovery from the horrors of the previous six years and into a new, more positive age, would be a fascinating read.
Been done mate - we reviewed it here

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm just bitter and twisted 'cos no one has ever asked me to write a cricket book
Now that you mention it, I've been searching desperately for a searing ghosted autobiography encompassing the complete life and career of Eoin Morgan...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
On a more serious note, I'd also be interested in a book about cricket's diaspora, as far as it is. My favourite cricketing reference work as a young bloke was the 1985 edition of the monumental Barclay's World of Cricket, which dedicated a large portion of the book to cricket around the world outside of the traditional Test playing nations. Likewise, I always enjoy reading Cricinfo's Beyond the Test World blog.

A book that tracked the history and development of cricket across the non-traditional cricketing world (I'm particularly fascinated by such obscure cricketing footnotes such as the Norris Trophy that used to be contested between Argentina and Brazil - does it still exist?) would be a treasure IMO. And yes, I acknowledge that I may be the only person in the world who would actually buy it.

Now waiting for Fred to draw my attention to a book covering exactly this topic that was released last week.

fredfertang

On a more serious note, I'd also be interested in a book about cricket's diaspora, as far as it is. My favourite cricketing reference work as a young bloke was the 1985 edition of the monumental Barclay's World of Cricket, which dedicated a large portion of the book to cricket around the world outside of the traditional Test playing nations. Likewise, I always enjoy reading Cricinfo's Beyond the Test World blog.

A book that tracked the history and development of cricket across the non-traditional cricketing world (I'm particularly fascinated by such obscure cricketing footnotes such as the Norris Trophy that used to be contested between Argentina and Brazil - does it still exist?) would be a treasure IMO. And yes, I acknowledge that I may be the only person in the world who would actually buy it.

Now waiting for Fred to draw my attention to a book covering exactly this topic that was released last week.
Well you did ask - there is Rowland Bowen's "Cricket - A History of its Growth and Development throughout the World" although it's not been updated since it was published in 1970

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you did ask - there is Rowland Bowen's "Cricket - A History of its Growth and Development throughout the World" although it's not been updated since it was published in 1970
Well it sounds to me like there is a 42-year gap in the market...

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

Would love to read a book on this subject. Great idea.

Capt Blackadder

Cricket Spectator
Maybe Cricket in the Associate Countries. What drives these people who get little money for it? Similar to Out of the Ashes but a larger scope. I was interested in how these native people of countries that care little for cricket how did they get into it. Another one might be Cricket in the POW camps during the war.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Might have to release it as an e-book in the underground literature scene, Tangy.

Pierce Brosnan to do the voice over obv.

fredfertang

Might have to release it as an e-book in the underground literature scene, Tangy.

Pierce Brosnan to do the voice over obv.
Tricky that - you do realise the publishers will demand the return of that substantial advance you received don't you?

.... and I've already been told that the chapter with kiss and tell stories about CW notables won't be allowed, nor the one with your theories about forum dynamics between members from different countries

Your theories on crime and punishment seem not to have found favour either

We may just have to serialise it on cricsim