Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Book Help?

Cricket Spectator

Icon3 Cricket Book Help?

Hi all,

I'm a writer and have been asked to look into writing a book about cricket for a publisher I work for. I need to come up with some new interesting 'different' angles on cricket / a fresh approach and thought this might be a good place to ask about it. Are there any books about cricket that you would like to get hold of but have never seen / are not available? Any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks so much. Kate

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    If you want to sell enough copies to keep your employer happy then I'd suggest that you need to ghost an autobiography for a big name current player - on the other hand you could write a good book, but that probably wouldn't be a commercially viable proposition

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's an interesting question. I'm sure our book review team have a broader knowledge of the extant books on cricket, but one field I've always been interested in is first-class cricketers who've excelled in other fields.

There can't be too many other sports that those who've played at first class level include a noble laureate, a British Prime Minister & the only man to score a hat-trick in the FIFA world cup.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Spectator
    Brilliant, thanks...

Hi Kate.

From a personal point of view, I'd love to see a full and detailed account of the Victory Tests in 1945 - not simply from a cricketing point of view (there are plenty of accounts of individual players' experiences in those matches, and it's easy enough to look up the scorecards), but rather from a wider social and historical perspective. These matches played an important role in bringing cricket back to England after the war and I think the full story - as far as it can be told - of how this series of matches assisted in the public's recovery from the horrors of the previous six years and into a new, more positive age, would be a fascinating read.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Hi Kate.

From a personal point of view, I'd love to see a full and detailed account of the Victory Tests in 1945 - not simply from a cricketing point of view (there are plenty of accounts of individual players' experiences in those matches, and it's easy enough to look up the scorecards), but rather from a wider social and historical perspective. These matches played an important role in bringing cricket back to England after the war and I think the full story - as far as it can be told - of how this series of matches assisted in the public's recovery from the horrors of the previous six years and into a new, more positive age, would be a fascinating read.
    Been done mate - we reviewed it here

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Been done mate - we reviewed it here
    FFS Fred, you ruin everything.

Fine, I guess I'll just read that one then. Kate, you're on your own...

FFS Fred, you ruin everything.
    I'm just bitter and twisted 'cos no one has ever asked me to write a cricket book

I'm just bitter and twisted 'cos no one has ever asked me to write a cricket book
    Now that you mention it, I've been searching desperately for a searing ghosted autobiography encompassing the complete life and career of Eoin Morgan...

On a more serious note, I'd also be interested in a book about cricket's diaspora, as far as it is. My favourite cricketing reference work as a young bloke was the 1985 edition of the monumental Barclay's World of Cricket, which dedicated a large portion of the book to cricket around the world outside of the traditional Test playing nations. Likewise, I always enjoy reading Cricinfo's Beyond the Test World blog.

A book that tracked the history and development of cricket across the non-traditional cricketing world (I'm particularly fascinated by such obscure cricketing footnotes such as the Norris Trophy that used to be contested between Argentina and Brazil - does it still exist?) would be a treasure IMO. And yes, I acknowledge that I may be the only person in the world who would actually buy it.

Now waiting for Fred to draw my attention to a book covering exactly this topic that was released last week.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Now that you mention it, I've been searching desperately for a searing ghosted autobiography encompassing the complete life and career of Eoin Morgan...
    Careful what you wish for
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

On a more serious note, I'd also be interested in a book about cricket's diaspora, as far as it is. My favourite cricketing reference work as a young bloke was the 1985 edition of the monumental Barclay's World of Cricket, which dedicated a large portion of the book to cricket around the world outside of the traditional Test playing nations. Likewise, I always enjoy reading Cricinfo's Beyond the Test World blog.

A book that tracked the history and development of cricket across the non-traditional cricketing world (I'm particularly fascinated by such obscure cricketing footnotes such as the Norris Trophy that used to be contested between Argentina and Brazil - does it still exist?) would be a treasure IMO. And yes, I acknowledge that I may be the only person in the world who would actually buy it.

Now waiting for Fred to draw my attention to a book covering exactly this topic that was released last week.
    Well you did ask - there is Rowland Bowen's "Cricket - A History of its Growth and Development throughout the World" although it's not been updated since it was published in 1970

Well you did ask - there is Rowland Bowen's "Cricket - A History of its Growth and Development throughout the World" although it's not been updated since it was published in 1970
    Well it sounds to me like there is a 42-year gap in the market...

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar

Would love to read a book on this subject. Great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Cricket Spectator Capt Blackadder's Avatar
    Maybe Cricket in the Associate Countries. What drives these people who get little money for it? Similar to Out of the Ashes but a larger scope. I was interested in how these native people of countries that care little for cricket how did they get into it. Another one might be Cricket in the POW camps during the war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information