• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jos Buttler Appreciation thread

Is Jos Buttler better than Bradman?

• Total voters

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't want there to be an England cricketer who is younger than me, and so picking 21-year olds sets a dangerous precedent. Buttler only makes the cut by a mere couple of months. Sorry Jos, too close for comfort.
I'm sorry but Danny Briggs is still 20.

Think Finn was the first younger than me, certainly was in tests. It's only then you admit that is unlikely that you will be an international cricketer.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm sorry but Danny Briggs is still 20.

Think Finn was the first younger than me, certainly was in tests. It's only then you admit that is unlikely that you will be an international cricketer.
Starting a campaign to keep Briggs out of the side aws.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Makes you realise its downhill all the way from then - I've never liked Norman Cowans
He was the first England player born after me.

I thought you were slightly older than me though?
Maybe Graham Dilley in your case?
or maybe you got into the game at a slightly younger age than me.

fredfertang

He was the first England player born after me.

I thought you were slightly older than me though?
Maybe Graham Dilley in your case?
or maybe you got into the game at a slightly younger age than me.
Perhaps we are the same age then - my dob does appear on my public profile so, unlike me, you have the means of knowing :)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps we are the same age then - my dob does appear on my public profile so, unlike me, you have the means of knowing :)
So I do - and I'm five months older than you. :cool:
You must have got into the game younger than me then. I don't remember anything before the summer of 1971, but you saw bits in the late 1960s didn't you?

fredfertang

So I do - and I'm five months older than you. :cool:
You must have got into the game younger than me then. I don't remember anything before the summer of 1971, but you saw bits in the late 1960s didn't you?
I have vivid memories of watching Derek Underwood winning the Oval Test in 1968. According to my mother I watched cricket with my Dad from as soon as I was old enough to walk but I can't clearly remember anything before 68

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I have vivid memories of watching Derek Underwood winning the Oval Test in 1968. According to my mother I watched cricket with my Dad from as soon as I was old enough to walk but I can't clearly remember anything before 68
Yes, that's the test I remember you writing about previously. At least, I thought it was you, but I know that I'm quite capable of getting these things wrong. For me, I never watched a thing before 1971, when I started watching it avidly. I don't know why. Maybe it was the images of Illingworth being chaired off the pitch when we regained the Ashes down under, and the thought that we had the best side in the world. That didn't last long, of course. Similar to football really. I didn't watch anything before 1970, so I knew we were world champions when I started watching but that didn't last long either. It's all my fault really.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Haven't heard a huge amount with regards to his 'keeping - is he any good with the gloves?
Question - Is Craig Kieswetter the best one day wicketkeeper batsman in England?

Answer - He probably isn't even the best one day wicketkeeper batsman in Taunton.

fredfertang

Yes, that's the test I remember you writing about previously. At least, I thought it was you, but I know that I'm quite capable of getting these things wrong. For me, I never watched a thing before 1971, when I started watching it avidly. I don't know why. Maybe it was the images of Illingworth being chaired off the pitch when we regained the Ashes down under, and the thought that we had the best side in the world. That didn't last long, of course. Similar to football really. I didn't watch anything before 1970, so I knew we were world champions when I started watching but that didn't last long either. It's all my fault really.
I think I'm right in saying that Dave Wilson (chasingthedon) was at the Headingley Test in 68 with his Dad so he's a couple of years older than thee and me, and he may have said something similar

stumpski

International Captain
He's got one, and no doubt to Howe's anguish, so has Briggs. :)

First England player younger than yourself, always a good one. Phil DeFreitas in my case. Then in '87 there was a slew of them - Farbrother, Capel, Jarvis. In no time at all I was older than half the team. :(

Howe_zat

Audio File

I don't even rate Briggs as all that, and he's going to have to make up for it by being a legend now. Pressure on the lad.

Pothas

I don't even rate Briggs as all that, and he's going to have to make up for it by being a legend now. Pressure on the lad.
He is going to be good, in my entirely unbiased opinion.

Still I think you should just claim he is foreign and therefore doesn't count.

grecian

I have to say this entire "younger than me to play for England" thing passed me by at the time. I don't know, nor for Somerset, Exeter City, or the England football team. Guess I could look 'em up, but seems pointless now.

Anyway, good to see England are guaranteeing a long innings for Jos, by bowling garbage:)