• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does no one seem to consider fielding when picking ATG teams?

Jager

International Debutant
Despite the undeniable brilliance of many players frequently chosen in ATG test squads, no one seems to consider that half of the teams they choose have maybe 3-4 excellent fielders. Bowlers can't take wickets as frequently and as economically if the field doesn't support them. Here comes the controversy... to me, that rules players such as Tendulkar out. Generally, half of the game will be spent in the field, and I'd want players with excellent slipping and ground fielding, for example Richards or Ponting. Just a thought I wanted to bring up. So, it raises the question... which great batsmen and bowlers were also excellent in the field?

bagapath

International Captain
many of the usual suspects in ATG teams were indeed outstanding fieldsmen. hobbs, hammond, sobers, richards, warne and murali were all capable of a match turning catch or a lightning quick razor sharp throw that could turn a certain run into a runout. gavaskar was a very good slipsman. malcolm marshall's athletic ground fielding in the deep was supplemented by his ability to take well judged skiers.

bradman and tendulkar were probably never as brilliant as the rest but they were always such reliable figures in the playing arena and that a superhuman catch or a runout from them wont look out of the ordinary. only lillee, hadlee, imran and barnes were ****all fielders; but again, there are not too many bowlers who could bowl better than them.

so, to answer your question, fielding ability is a factor taken into consideration in dream team selections. but no one wants to have a team of 6 jonty rhodeses + 4 bowlers + 1 wicket keeper

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
"But, in a country of great fieldsmen, he stood out pre-eminent. His gathering and throwing approached perfection."

RC Robertson-Glasgow, writing about Bradman. He was a brilliant fieldsman.

Eds

International Debutant
It's only a matter of time before evidence comes out that proves that Bradman was in fact an extra-terrestrial.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
many of the usual suspects in ATG teams were indeed outstanding fieldsmen. hobbs, hammond, sobers, richards, warne and murali were all capable of a match turning catch or a lightning quick razor sharp throw that could turn a certain run into a runout. gavaskar was a very good slipsman. malcolm marshall's athletic ground fielding in the deep was supplemented by his ability to take well judged skiers.

bradman and tendulkar were probably never as brilliant as the rest but they were always such reliable figures in the playing arena and that a superhuman catch or a runout from them wont look out of the ordinary. only lillee, hadlee, imran and barnes were ****all fielders; but again, there are not too many bowlers who could bowl better than them.

so, to answer your question, fielding ability is a factor taken into consideration in dream team selections. but no one wants to have a team of 6 jonty rhodeses + 4 bowlers + 1 wicket keeper
+1.
Mostly agree. When I select teams I normally try to ensure that I have at least 3 good slip fielders and some good ground fielders. Also all things being equal if I have two players competing for one spot, I would normally select the player who brings something additional to the table, Slip fielding or captaincy in that order. For example that was the added deciding factor for both Warne and Imran in my first 11, even though Warne would probably have made it regardless.
So yes fielding and especially slip catching is important one it adds to the player and not the only skill on offer.

Last edited:

Flametree

International 12th Man
many of the usual suspects in ATG teams were indeed only lillee, hadlee, imran and barnes were ****all fielders; but again, there are not too many bowlers who could bowl better than them.
Hadlee was a **** fielder? Really? He was a regular at gully for NZ, and took a couple of absolute screamers there. I think one year the "sports photo of the year" was a great shot of him catching Gower, full length horizontal airborne, one-handed.... I've googled it but can't find anything, unfortunately.

On the general topic, I would say that most great batsmen have tended to be good to great fielders as well. Good eyesight and reactions, I assume.

bagapath

International Captain
Hadlee was a **** fielder? Really? He was a regular at gully for NZ, and took a couple of absolute screamers there. I think one year the "sports photo of the year" was a great shot of him catching Gower, full length horizontal airborne, one-handed.... I've googled it but can't find anything, unfortunately.
I don't remember hadlee as a great fielder but, obviously, that doesn't make you wrong. may be he indeed was a good fielder and that adds more credence to my main point that most dream teams are full of good fielders

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Murali? Murali is a terrible fielder. His throwing arm is weak, which is ironic. Especially early in his career he was absolutely atrocious under any sort of catch. And he's been slow as a wet week around the outfield for a while now.

And Hadlee? Hadlee was a magnificent gully fielder, never dropped a thing that came his way. Barnes I doubt you even know about fielding wise and while Lillee wasn't Rhodes, he didn't need to be hidden.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali was definitely not a terrible fielder. He was not an all-time great fielder, but he was far from terrible.

Debris

International 12th Man
The difference to the result between a good and great fielder is not enough to overcome other factors. Particularly in test cricket, which most of the ATG threads seem to concentrate on.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm keen to have a middle order of Colin Bland, Jonty Rhodes, Paul Collingwood and Trevor Penney represent my All Time team.

bagapath

International Captain
i would like to go with a team comprising of

hobbs, gavaskar, bradman (c), v. richards, lara, sobers, gilchrist (wk), botham, marshall, warne, garner. all bonafide ATGs and superb fielders too.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Murali? Murali is a terrible fielder. His throwing arm is weak, which is ironic. Especially early in his career he was absolutely atrocious under any sort of catch. And he's been slow as a wet week around the outfield for a while now.
The young Murali I remember was electric in the outfield. I don't know which one you're referring to.

Also, Sachin has been a very solid, if unspectacular, presence in the field. Can't think of too many outrageous muck ups from him unless he was gathering wool in the middle of a boring game.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
I'm keen to have a middle order of Colin Bland, Jonty Rhodes, Paul Collingwood and Trevor Penney represent my All Time team.

Pleased to see Bland mentioned there.Another middle order could include ANY Test player from 60/61 WI side that toured OZ and Derek Randall plus Symonds, O'Neill.Harvey and the list goes on:)