• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Currently who is the best player of spin in Tests?

Spark

Global Moderator
In no particular order (read: half past midnight, sitting on bed with laptop, cbf working it out properly)

It's between

Clarke
Dravid
Amla
and there was another name which came to mind that I couldn't think of.

Notable exclusions:
Sehwag - never actually gets to face spin nowadays, so hard to tell :ph34r:
Tendulkar - would top the list if he could get his mindset right. Seems to be caught in a block/slog mode nowadays, which is sort of strange. But that word applies to a lot of his batting nowadays
de Villiers - jury still out for me for some reason
a dozen other subcontinental batsmen - they don't really stand out for me at this late hour beyond the others, but are all obviously very good
Hussey - as Spikey said, sometimes gun, sometimes rubbish. Usually gun, but on occasion will completely go into his shell and just push timidly at everything, such as in Brisbane this summer. His knock at Galle proves that he's very much class

note that I'm rating them as they stand right now.

EDIT: rankings wise, if I were to pick a team right now based on how they'd play an attack of Ajmal/Swann/Rehman/Ashwin (let's say)

Sehwag
Clarke
<gap>
Amla
Dravid
Rest

The reason I put Sehwag and Clarke in their own category is because whilst the others are fine players of spin, those two are without doubt the most destructive players of spin and by far the hardest to bowl to (largely due to their footwork)

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag, Clarke and Amla maybe.

Personally i'd take Sehwag because of the effect he can have and consistency in this regard, but right now seems to be going through a lean patch where surviving till the spinners come on is a problem. :p

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
Michael Clarke has been exceptional as of late... brilliant footwork, aggression and defense. He never looks in trouble when facing spin and accumulates his runs quickly

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Raina would be a good bet, if he were good enough against the rest to actually make the team.

Spark

Global Moderator
Younis probably a good shout too, but he fell into the 'dozen subcontinental players' category. There are quite a few of them (Mahela, Sanga etc etc)

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Gambhir is very good. That chip shot of his over cover is fantastic, beautiful control - don't think anyone in cricket places it as well as him.

Again, however, it's the Sehwag problem - it's actually getting to face spinners which is the challenge.

ganeshran

International Debutant
The entire Indian top and middle order plays spin very well. But by the time the spinner is introduced, we are already 4 down :(

DriveClub

International Regular
Clarke is a really good shout for us against spin but was terribly disappointed with him in '08 in India tbf. He could've made the difference between a drawn series and whitewash.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he hasn't been that great against the spinners both the last 2 times he toured India, even struggled at times. Though, i guess he was going through a lean patch too at that time. Playing wonderfully right now.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke is a really good shout for us against spin but was terribly disappointed with him in '08 in India tbf. He could've made the difference between a drawn series and whitewash.
There are some things/times about Clarke's batting which defy all cricketing logic. That tour was one of them. Absolutely no idea what happened to him there.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sehwag,Younis Khan, Sanga and Amla are clearly ahead of the pack. Michal Clarhe has had 2 very ordinary tours of India was good this time in SL but needs to do more to rebuild on that legacy which he had developed early on in his career.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke's good, but I wouldn't call in the best player of spin currently. He's been rubbish in his last 2 tours of India, particularly the one in 2010 where he literally came down the pitch every ball just to defend it. Everyone was like "ohh he's using is feet blah blah" but really he was out of it.

He is generally a good player of spin though I will admit. I also don't rate DeVilliers as highly either, for similar reasons.

Dravid in recent times has been excellent. Sehwag hasn't lasted long enough to show how good he is against spinners. Same for GG. Amla and Sanga also good shouts, Younis Khan as well. I'll throw in Kallis as well. Scored so much against us over the last few years.