• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Currently who is the best player of spin in Tests?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bit hard to forget he's a middle order batsman when he constantly reminds us of the fact.

STFU Sehwag, you're an opener, deal with it.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also interesting considering a high quantity of spin bowlers are left arm spinners, who you would think, would do better against right handed batsmen.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ganguly was the best batsman I have ever seen when it came to dealing with left arm spin bowlers.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ganguly was the best batsman I have ever seen when it came to dealing with left arm spin bowlers.
Asanka Gurusinha was a beast against them. Usually was a very sedate batsman. But whenever he did put his massive frame behind a shot it usually stayed hit.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I don't think I've seen anyone over the past 20 odd years with better footwork, especially in terms of coming down the track to smother the spin OR work the ball around, than Michael Clarke. Brian Lara would be the only other one that comes to mind.

Spark

Global Moderator
Asanka Gurusinha was a beast against them. Usually was a very sedate batsman. But whenever he did put his massive frame behind a shot it usually stayed hit.
I can't be the only one when I honestly say I've never, ever heard of him, surely?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I can't be the only one when I honestly say I've never, ever heard of him, surely?
Gurusinghe batted at no. 3 for SL for a fairly long time. He batted at no. 3 throughout their '96 WC win as well. He was an average batsman without any spectacular qualities. Like many SL batsmen, he was a decent player of spin.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think I've seen anyone over the past 20 odd years with better footwork, especially in terms of coming down the track to smother the spin OR work the ball around, than Michael Clarke. Brian Lara would be the only other one that comes to mind.
If you are going that far back then you must have missed Miandad.

uvelocity

International Coach
I read the first page and then skipped. Would say Clarke of course, footwork, lofting, can cut off the stumps when it's short.

Just wanted to ask whether anyone mentioned Ponting at all? I know he isn't the best but I've read and heard plenty of hate for his play against spin, but I think he has been pretty effective overall. Or maybe I'm tripping.

TumTum

Banned
Just wanted to ask whether anyone mentioned Ponting at all? I know he isn't the best but I've read and heard plenty of hate for his play against spin, but I think he has been pretty effective overall. Or maybe I'm tripping.
Good against leggies, **** against offies.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sidhu was pretty much better than any batsman against spin if you are going to go back 20 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting is without question the most improved player of spin in the world, is very much competent and effective without necessarily being brilliant (although he obviously has the capacity to dominate if need be). Plays with much softer hands nowadays and is very decisive in his footwork, although still leads with and plays around the front pad at times a little too much for my liking (esp. with DRS) but hardly the worst in this regard. Very much competent, would hold his own against any attack IMO.

But you'd expect no less from an ATG.