Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar

Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

Saeed Ajmal, Man of the Series as Pakistan whitewashed England 3-0 in the UAE, has sparked confusion over his bowling action by giving an interview in which he appeared to claim that he has special dispensation to exceed the 15-degree tolerance limit currently permitted by the ICC.

In an interview with the BBC, Ajmal volunteered the belief that the ICC has allowed him 23.5 degrees of flexion to compensate for an accident in which he injured his arm. The ICC, however, were quick to reject the suggestion.

Ajmal said: "Someone is telling me my action is bad because the ICC allowed me as a bowler 23.5 degrees, because my arm is not good. A few years ago I had an accident. Otherwise, no problem, the action was cleared by ICC."

An ICC spokeman denied that was the case. "There is no dispensation for anyone," he said. "It is worth remembering that his first language is not English and this may have been a slip of the tongue."

It may be that Ajmal, having bamboozled England's batsmen all series, was simply leaving his best trick until last. Renowned for his sense of humour, it could be that Ajmal, who started the series talking of a teesra delivery that never materialised, was simply joking.

Ajmal tormented the England batsmen in all three Tests, claiming 24 wickets in the series at an average of just 14.7. Their inability to distinguish between his off-break and doosra caused particular confusion and vastly reduced the effectiveness of England's much-vaunted middle order. Ian Bell, Eoin Morgan and Kevin Pietersen all failed to average more than 13.

While Bob Willis, the former England captain turned pundit, had raised concerns about Ajmal's action at the start of the series, the England team have been reluctant to be dragged into any controversy. Consequently, they have stuck to the line that it is job of the umpires and the ICC to scrutinise bowlers' actions.

However, Andy Flower, the England coach, expressed his surprise after being told of Ajmal's remarks. "If that's the degree, then there's a problem," Flower said. "That's ridiculous.

"That is an ICC issue, though. They are there to police the game, and make sure that it is played within the rules, so they've got to scrutinise his action. We've all got our own views, but our job is to combat whoever is put against us, and part of it is also to play the game in the right spirit."
    Pakistan v England 2011-12: Saeed Ajmal comment sparks action confusion | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Is there a provision for such relaxation in in the rule book?
    Last edited by ganeshran; 07-02-2012 at 05:58 AM.
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

wtf?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    He's pulling their chain, and fair play to him for doing so - stupid questions deserve stupid answers

Simon Champion!
    Think something has been lost in translation/comprehension or some sort of language problem.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    lol....

this statement doesn't even clearly say what he is trying to say

"Ajmal said: "Someone is telling me my action is bad because the ICC allowed me as a bowler 23.5 degrees, because my arm is not good. A few years ago I had an accident. Otherwise, no problem, the action was cleared by ICC."
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

His English isn't very good IIRC, so language problems are a good bet.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Mods please change the title if it was a comment made in jest.

didn't sound like jest if you watch the short video linked in the cricinfo article (interview)
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Where did the number 23.5 come from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I assume tomorrow's headline in one the English tabloids will be something along the lines of "**** ace cops to chucking charge"

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Where did the number 23.5 come from?
    ajmal

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    lolwut?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    He probably meant that the ICC allows him a bent arm of 23 degrees, but he can't straighten that more than the normal rule of 15 degrees. In fact IIRC Ajmal is incapable of straightening more than 8 degrees due to his accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    ICC should reply with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    He probably meant that the ICC allows him a bent arm of 23 degrees, but he can't straighten that more than the normal rule of 15 degrees. In fact IIRC Ajmal is incapable of straightening more than 8 degrees due to his accident.
    That concerns me if so. 23 degrees is ****ing enormous.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information