Cricket Player Manager
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 296

Thread: Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

  1. #106
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    The rules are the same for everyone, if you've got a better way without any massive problems apparent then let's hear it.
    well you don't need to know the solution to spot a problem, but having said that in the other chucking thread I posted some info I found which was from a NZ university group who has done a lot of work in this area. I found it interesting and complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  2. #107
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,664
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    well you don't need to know the solution to spot a problem, but having said that in the other chucking thread I posted some info I found which was from a NZ university group who has done a lot of work in this area. I found it interesting and complicated.
    Link us up then

    The thing is, there is no clear problem as far as I'm concerned. He's not just bowling within the limits, he's bowling WELL within them.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  3. #108

  4. #109
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yes, because everybody was so complementary about his action before this series weren't they?

    It just seems odd that this hasn't been broadcast as a reason why he's cleared to bowl when there's been so much speculation about it over the last few years - when Murali was cleared because of his defect, that was mentioned there and then.
    The only thing odd is English medias and fans reluctance to accept their beating like real men. There is a certain grace to lose with.
    All Time Test XI:

    Openers: S.Gavaskar V.Sehwag Middle Order: V.Richards S.Tendulkar B.Lara All Rounders: G.Sobers I Khan (C) WK: A.Gilchrist Bowlers: W.Akram M.Marshall M.Muralitharan

    All Time ODI XI:

    WK: A.Gilchrist S.Tendulkar V.Richards R. Ponting M. Dhoni M. Bevan Allrounder: K.Dev Bowlers: W.Akram J. Garner M.Muralitharan G. McGrath


  5. #110
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,664
    I honestly see nothing in either to support your point.
    EDIT: Heh, bit of editing madness there by me
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 09-02-2012 at 12:07 AM.

  6. #111
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,969
    I don't have a problem using angular velocity as a rule. As long as it's consistent, and it's scientifically verifiable, it's fine with me.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 09-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  7. #112
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,969
    I would test many more bowlers though, because as the article said, many bowlers do look like they are bowling fine while having a very high angular velocity (as much as or more than those with suspect actions).

    Because if you look at current rule, very few people whose bowling looks 'natural' end up straightening by over 15 degrees. So you are unlikely to be cheating if your action looks good (under the 15 degree rule) - which is part of the reason 15 degrees was chosen. If you switch to a rule that's going to be more consistent with what you see in terms of identifying cheaters, but will also let a lot more people get away with cheating, I think you have a bigger problem in many respects. Unless of course you test every bowler.

  8. #113
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    Look lots of things in cricket have changed over the years. Probably there were sticks in the mud who protested against covering up pitches overnight too. But in my ideal world the rule would somehow enforce the spirit of one of the defining parts of the game - the natural bowling action, round arm and perceptibly straight.

  9. #114
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,969
    I don't think the "spirit" of the law would say you should get to do something that others can't if you happen to look good doing it.

  10. #115
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    as per the current rules. I think people are entitled to have different views about the quality or effect of the rules, as opposed to whether or not whether Ajmal operates within them.
    he is not "throwing" by the laws of cricket. If you wanna apply something else, it just shows how baseless your argument is.



    And weren't you the one posting links to the MCC website to show that bowling with a bent arm = throwing?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  11. #116
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,721
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Look lots of things in cricket have changed over the years. Probably there were sticks in the mud who protested against covering up pitches overnight too. But in my ideal world the rule would somehow enforce the spirit of one of the defining parts of the game - the natural bowling action, round arm and perceptibly straight.
    you are just finding it hard to believe that bowling with a bent arm is, was and always has been legal in cricket..

  12. #117
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    And weren't you the one posting links to the MCC website to show that bowling with a bent arm = throwing?
    really getting sick of your trolling attitude tbh, but from memory someone (may have been you) mentioned what was written in the law, which was incorrect, and I posted the link to show. cbf looking it all up.

  13. #118
    International Captain Jacknife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by dhillon28 View Post
    The only thing odd is English medias and fans reluctance to accept their beating like real men. There is a certain grace to lose with.
    And how haven't the England fans been gracious in defeat, or as you put it accept there beating like real men. All the regular English posters on here haven't been anything but imo and readily point to the teams inept batting performance as the reason we lost.
    As far as the media, who gives a **** what they think, they don't represent me in any way shape or form, you should know this living in the UK.

  14. #119
    International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,020
    Agree with Jacknife. The English fans have been great. Please don't confuse the media with the fans.

  15. #120
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Haven't really noticed the media saying much either... maybe somewhere low visibility, but pretty much all the sports news is football right now. Apparently there's some kind of controversy going on.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. should bowlers be allowed to wear sunglasses
    By jouerducricket in forum Ashes 2010-2011
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
  2. Rule about fielders behind batsman
    By memphiscricket in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
  3. Rationale for the off sides rule in soccer
    By silentstriker in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 28-06-2010, 04:21 PM
  4. Reintroduction of the Substitute rule
    By aussie in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 17-07-2009, 08:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •