Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

Baby jesus gonna weep.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    "When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" - John Maynard Keynes

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Fmd, did you just compare a bowling action to nuclear science?
    FMD.. Biology is no longer part of science?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    The devil is in the detail, before people get too excited.

That doesn't tell us a great deal in actuality. He could bend his arm 12 degrees 15% of the time and that statement would be accurate. It also doesn't tell us anything about when he's tiring, when he's bowled his teesra or if he decides in a game to really 'rip' one early on in a batsman's innings as Warne used to and bends his arm a lot more to achieve it. It only tells us about his general bowling (excluding the teesra) in a general situation.
    you do understand that the same guys who can calculate the average can also see what was the upper limit and lower limit, right? And if the high was more than 15 degrees, he would have been reported after those tests. But then again, when was the last time you let facts get in your way?

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    you do understand that the same guys who can calculate the average can also see what was the upper limit and lower limit, right? And if the high was more than 15 degrees, he would have been reported after those tests. But then again, when was the last time you let facts get in your way?
    When he was tested in a lab, however long ago it was.

The nature of the testing means you're never going to exonerate a player. There will always be ifs and buts. Some people who posted previously to you may wish to actually acknowledge this instead of behaving like morons.

As I've said before I'm not happy with the ICC's decision to legitimise slow bowling chuckers by having a one-size fits all 15 degree mark. Which is in my opinion simply too much tolerance for slow bowlers. People are going to disagree over whether it should 15 degrees, 10 degrees, x degrees for one, y degrees for another and I don't see the point in arguing with that as it's mostly just a personal opinion. For me it has turned the art of slow bowling into something that is simply not cricket. Throwing is not a part of bowling.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 08-02-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

the only issue I have is why the **** we waited till he was 32 to give him a debut we potentially wasted a 500 wicket bowler. For those who are not aware it was Misbah who convinced then captainShoaib Malik to give Ajmal a chance as he's possibly the only one who actually sees domestic crickets as he spend a great chunk of his career playing it. Another feather in misbah's cap.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Is that why Misbah has requested that Malik joins the ODI squad. Time to pay back the favour.

Can someone get Scaly a free pass for the ICC lab test, the next time it takes place. He will get all his answers there, because no one here can explain anything to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Ajmal going for an average of 50 in his next series vs England might just shut him up.

As I've said before I'm not happy with the ICC's decision to legitimise slow bowling chuckers by having a one-size fits all 15 degree mark. Which is in my opinion simply too much tolerance for slow bowlers. People are going to disagree over whether it should 15 degrees, 10 degrees, x degrees for one, y degrees for another and I don't see the point in arguing with that as it's mostly just a personal opinion. For me it has turned the art of slow bowling into something that is simply not cricket. Throwing is not a part of bowling.
    awta
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Yea, cause having an arbitrary rule that's going to change for every player instead of a one size fits all that everyone has to follow is going to be completely controversy free.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I am not happy too with an arbitrary limit of 15 degrees, but I maintain that cut off should be equal to every bowler, not depending on how fast they bowl. Better would be to find out the natural extension of large number of bowlers and get a cut off. But deciding whether a player is a chucker using age old eye sight is a non-starter on this issue.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Throwing is not a part of bowling.
    I'm not sure how many times it has to be explained: HE'S NOT ****ING THROWING.
    Exit pursuing a beer

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The devil is in the detail, before people get too excited.

It also doesn't tell us anything about when he's tiring, when he's bowled his teesra or if he decides in a game to really 'rip' one early on in a batsman's innings as Warne used to and bends his arm a lot more to achieve it.
    Devil IS in the details:
    "Any umpire with any concern over Ajmal's action - or that of any other previously tested bowler - has the facility to freeze-frame any delivery from any international match and compare it to images taken during the test procedure at the University of Western Australia. It is understood that there has been no significant change in Ajmal's action since the tests in 2009."

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    I'm not sure how many times it has to be explained: HE'S NOT ****ING THROWING.
    as per the current rules. I think people are entitled to have different views about the quality or effect of the rules, as opposed to whether or not whether Ajmal operates within them.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    as per the current rules. I think people are entitled to have different views about the quality or effect of the rules, as opposed to whether or not whether Ajmal operates within them.
    The rules are the same for everyone, if you've got a better way without any massive problems apparent then let's hear it.
    Last edited by wellAlbidarned; 08-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information