• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Bell vs Thilan Samraweera

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

Xuhaib

International Coach

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Samaraweera's better at the moment and has had a better career so far but I'd be pretty surprised if I still said that by the time they both retired. Samaraweera is pretty close to the end.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Bell IMO. He is a joy to watch (when on song) unlike Samara who grinds his way to painful 50s.

However, off late Samara has been more effective and useful for Lanka than Bell has been for England

Teja.

Global Moderator
Samraweera by a comfortable margin if you're asking me who I'd pick right now. Would have him in a World XI.

My opinion did not change based on this series, ftr.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ian hell has been terrible playing spin this series and if I subscribe to CWB304's theory (which I am beginning to) then I would pick Samara

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Pointless comparison - Samaraweera is about 6 years older, so at a completely different stage of his career. I'd pick Samaraweera in Asia & Bell otherwise.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Pointless comparison - Samaraweera is about 6 years older, so at a completely different stage of his career. I'd pick Samaraweera in Asia & Bell otherwise.
Bell is only conclusively better than Thilan in England and Australia. Everywhere else they are too close to call or Thilan is better. Anyway its difficult to judge records in countries with very small sample sizes. Samaraweera has had the better test career so far and is the better batsman. At the end of their careers the question will probably who is better, a 50-55 averaging batsman who has scored 6000 runs or a 43-45 averaging batsman (where I expect Bell will end up) who has scored 10000 runs.

I'd go for the 50-55 averaging batsman personally. It's a bit like Cook v Younis. Cook will end up with way more runs, but is he the better batsman?

Spark

Global Moderator
If he scores 10000 runs with an average of 43-45 then that's a mindboggling number of Tests he's played.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Samaraweera is better, expecially considering he's had to overcome the notable handicap of being a victim of black pudding.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
If he scores 10000 runs with an average of 43-45 then that's a mindboggling number of Tests he's played.
England play so many test matches. Bell has been played around 70-75 tests to make his 5000 runs. I'm assuming he might play for another 6-7 years as he isnt 30 yet. In that time he could play another 70-75 tests and score another 5000 runs.

If you think Bell is scary, think about Cook. There is a chance he could end up playing more test matches than Sachin, despite starting at 21 as opposed to Sachin's 16.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, but he will have to play sooooooooo many more Tests than everyone else who's reached 10000 if he averages in the low-40s.

Averages 48-odd now, doesn't he?

Himannv

International Coach
Two players that I like a lot so its fairly close for me. Very different types of players but will vote for Bell despite the fact that Samaraweera is one of my favourites in the SL team at the moment.

I hate to compare stats and numbers and all that bull**** when I judge players, so going for which one I feel is better based on what I've seen of them. Aesthetically, I have always liked those classy players who are awesome to watch and do things differently from the rest of the crowd.

Samaraweera is great to watch in a sense that he is always a bloke who walks in when we are in a spot of bother and grinds out the runs and fights all the way; man to go to war with, etc. He's also got a great attitude when it comes to playing the game.

However, there is something so classical in the way Ian Bell plays that somehow it takes you back in time and gives you a brief look at the art that comes along with batting instead of the usual smacking around that T20 has brought about. I think he's not done as well as everyone hoped he would but somehow that seems the case for many of the players I tend to favour.

For those who like the shorter posts: Himannv votes for Ian Bell.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Art doesn't get you runs, art doesn't get you out of holes, art doesn't help you make comebacks after failures. All hail the grittiest player in recent years :wub: