• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Instances of series favorites being whitewashed?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I asked this in another thread but I thought it'd be interesting. The bookies thought england were better but they ended up getting whitewashed. Can anyone think of other instances where this has happened?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember - India were higher ranked but England was still favored to win last series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
England were favourites against India, as were Australia.

I honestly can't think of one, it'd be very rare anyway.

Were India favourites back in 2002 when they lost to NZ in NZ 2-0?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England were favourites against India, as were Australia.

I honestly can't think of one, it'd be very rare anyway.

Were India favourites back in 2002 when they lost to NZ in NZ 2-0?
Doubt it;

1) NZ were a reasonably strong Test side back then

2) Unlike in 08/09, NZ administrators didn't bend-over for India in those days and actually prepared wickets that suited NZ.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well that's the only case that I could even conceivably think of where a team that was whitewashed may be favourites.

Otherwise England would surely be the first in over 15 years.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Series favorites have been defeated many times but dont recall a whitewash before this series

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well that's the only case that I could even conceivably think of where a team that was whitewashed may be favourites.

Otherwise England would surely be the first in over 15 years.
There haven't been that many whitewashes in test cricket history (compared to the # of series played excepting the minnows). So I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of instances of a team being the FAVORITE and still getting whitewashed. Even bad teams often manage to pull out a single draw or at least the weather intervenes and one game gets drawn. A lot of things are often out of your control so that's why I thought its an interesting question.

My over under would be like 3 or 4 in the entire history of test cricket tbf.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And I can't think of a single instance. What about in the 90s when england were laughing at kumble and played an all pace attack ended up getting owned? It was in India so I'm not sure if they were favorites.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Doubt it;

1) NZ were a reasonably strong Test side back then

2) Unlike in 08/09, NZ administrators didn't bend-over for India in those days and actually prepared wickets that suited NZ.
I seriously hear this a lot and it annoys me. First because it gives bcci too much credit in that you think they care about results over money and second, it seems to detract from the actual instances of BCCI acting like asses by making unsubstantiated claims. If you have a source Id be very happy to believe you.

Not having a go personally at you - I'm seriously wondering if there is any truth (eg did a curator or an nz official say something and I missed it?)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England, on the back of three successive Ashes wins and not having lost a series anywhere for the best part of a decade, were expected to beat Australia in 1958/59, but lost 4-0 with one draw - strange parallel with the current series actually :whistling

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
revisionism. I think a lot of Indian fans thought they actually had a chance of winning in Aus this winter. Especially after the Aussie batting crumbling every other innings.
We're talking about objective odds - of course fans are going to be subjective. Hell, I thought we'd have a good shot at winning in England (proved hilariously wrong), but clearly the bookies (you know people who would actually lose $$ by being wrong) thought England were.

How is this revisionism? You're going to find bangladesh fans who think they can win in Australia if you look hard enough - that's part of being a fan. I think we all know that Indian fans were massively dissapointed at how India did in Australia - clearly that's not in question.