• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Instances of series favorites being whitewashed?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, it also ignores the fact that the homogenization happened everywhere for close to a decade. India didn't exactly keep rolling out the turners for visiting sides, NZ included.
This is so true and its amazing how some of the NZ fans haven't looked at the reverse.

The tracks NZ got in 2002 in India were ridiculously flat with barely any assistance for the spinners.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose Australia would have been favourites with bookies here, but I really didn't approach the series with a heck of a lot of confidence, for the reasons others have mentioned here. I really thought, especially with Zaheer playing, that this was India's best chance to win here.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
What were the odds for Australia vs India with the Indian bookmakers? Obviously with the Australian bookmakers Australia will always be the favourites.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Really can't have happened to regularly. To be honest it puts cricket in a good position that even the number 1 team can be hammered by the number 5. Shows how close and competitive things are.

Did Australia go to South Africa as favourites in 1970? I think we might have - SA hadn't played a Test for several years and we'd just won in India, something it would take us decades to repeat.
This was the only instance I could think of a major number 1 v 2 clash ending in a whitewash (before India toured England and England the UAE) but I'm not sure who were favorites.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What were the odds for Australia vs India with the Indian bookmakers? Obviously with the Australian bookmakers Australia will always be the favourites.
Nah not really. International bookmakers and Australian bookmakers generally have similar markets with cricket (and most international sports).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They can't be vastly different, otherwise you'd be able to arbitrage and make money either way - a result that bookies really don't like.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think pretty much all bookies were favoring Australia. They were definitely the bookies favourites amongst the majority.

Debris

International 12th Man
Well, here is the list of whitewashes.

England 3 v Australia The Ashes (Australia in England), 1886
England 3 v South Africa England in South Africa Test Series, 1895/96
England 3 v South Africa South Africa in England Test Series, 1912
Australia 5 v England The Ashes (England in Australia), 1920/21
England 3 v West Indies West Indies in England Test Series, 1928
Australia 5 v South Africa South Africa in Australia Test Series, 1931/32
England 5 v India India in England Test Series, 1959
West Indies 5 v India India in West Indies Test Series, 1961/62
England 3 v New Zealand England in New Zealand Test Series, 1962/63
England 3 v New Zealand New Zealand in England Test Series, 1965
England 3 v India India in England Test Series, 1967
Australia 4 v India India in Australia Test Series, 1967/68
South Africa 4 v Australia Australia in South Africa Test Series, 1969/70
Australia 3 v Pakistan Pakistan in Australia Test Series, 1972/73
England 3 v India India in England Test Series, 1974
England 3 v New Zealand New Zealand in England Test Series, 1978
Australia 3 v England England in Australia Test Series, 1979/80
Pakistan 3 v Australia Australia in Pakistan Test Series, 1982/83
West Indies 5 v England The Wisden Trophy (West Indies in England), 1984
West Indies 5 v England The Wisden Trophy (England in West Indies), 1985/86
Pakistan 3 v New Zealand New Zealand in Pakistan Test Series, 1990/91
India 3 v England England in India Test Series, 1992/93
India 3 v Sri Lanka Sri Lanka in India Test Series, 1993/94
Australia 3 v Sri Lanka Sri Lanka in Australia Test Series, 1995/96
Pakistan 3 v West Indies West Indies in Pakistan Test Series, 1997/98
South Africa 5 v West Indies West Indies in South Africa Test Series, 1998/99
Australia 3 v Pakistan Pakistan in Australia Test Series, 1999/00
Australia 3 v India Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia), 1999/00
Australia 3 v New Zealand Trans-Tasman Trophy (Australia in New Zealand), 1999/00
Australia 5 v West Indies The Frank Worrell Trophy (West Indies in Australia), 2000/01
Sri Lanka 3 v West Indies West Indies in Sri Lanka Test Series, 2001/02
Australia 3 v South Africa South Africa in Australia Test Series, 2001/02
Sri Lanka 3 v Zimbabwe Zimbabwe in Sri Lanka Test Series, 2001/02
Australia 3 v Pakistan Australia v Pakistan Test Series (in Sri Lanka/United Arab Emirates), 2002/03
Pakistan 3 v Bangladesh Bangladesh in Pakistan Test Series, 2003
Australia 3 v Sri Lanka Australia in Sri Lanka Test Series, 2003/04
England 3 v New Zealand New Zealand in England Test Series, 2004
England 4 v West Indies The Wisden Trophy (West Indies in England), 2004
Australia 3 v Pakistan Pakistan in Australia Test Series, 2004/05
Australia 3 v West Indies The Frank Worrell Trophy (West Indies in Australia), 2005/06
Australia 3 v South Africa Australia in South Africa Test Series, 2005/06
Australia 5 v England The Ashes (England in Australia), 2006/07
Sri Lanka 3 v Bangladesh Bangladesh in Sri Lanka Test Series, 2007
Australia 3 v Pakistan Pakistan in Australia Test Series, 2009/10
England 4 v India Pataudi Trophy (India in England), 2011
Australia 4 v India Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia), 2011/12
Pakistan 3 v England Pakistan v England Test Series (in United Arab Emirates), 2011/12

Can't see any other obvious candidates in there.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I seriously hear this a lot and it annoys me. First because it gives bcci too much credit in that you think they care about results over money and second, it seems to detract from the actual instances of BCCI acting like asses by making unsubstantiated claims. If you have a source Id be very happy to believe you.

Not having a go personally at you - I'm seriously wondering if there is any truth (eg did a curator or an nz official say something and I missed it?)
Actually SS, whilst I'm not 100% sure of it's validity, the claim has been bandied about by the NZ cricket media for the last couple of years tbh, The theory is that after the green tops of '02 the BCCI (on behalf of the Indian team) indicated they wouldn't tour NZ again if they were dished up similar wickets. I'll see if I can find anything online.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I bet that has more to do with them being pissed off at 2-3 day tests than actually and getting less advertising revenue than giving a **** about winning.

See how they didn't prepare turners vs. NZ in 2002 and 2010.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do bookies really care about cross-agency arbitraging? I can't really see why.
Yeah, actually they do as it can encourage unexpected betting behaviour for individual bookies and the bookies like to control the way the money flows. They may accept an arbitrage bet, but for an arbitrage to be worthwhile, the bet values have to be pretty high and so the bookie will either deny the bet, or massively reduce the allowed stake. Well, from what I've seen anyway.

Xuhaib

International Coach
4 whitewashes for Pakistan 5 against them all by Australia the bastards certainly have the wood on us like no other.