Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instances of series favorites being whitewashed?

1989 Ashes, although there were the two drawn Tests, was a 6 Test series though.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    Wasn't the England v. West Indies series, with the famous 'we'll make them grovel' quote an upset? Considering the respective teams's build ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why don't the boxers have any head protection any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Burgey submitted a class action suggesting they harden the **** up.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    The only example I can think of was when SA beat India 2-0 in India. I wouldn't be surprised if India were favourites though probably not by much. And it was just a two-game series. So I think this whitewash was rather more remarkable. In their long saga of cricket losership, England have managed to write yet another remarkable chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I seriously hear this a lot and it annoys me. First because it gives bcci too much credit in that you think they care about results over money and second, it seems to detract from the actual instances of BCCI acting like asses by making unsubstantiated claims. If you have a source Id be very happy to believe you.

Not having a go personally at you - I'm seriously wondering if there is any truth (eg did a curator or an nz official say something and I missed it?)
    Yeah, it also ignores the fact that the homogenization happened everywhere for close to a decade. India didn't exactly keep rolling out the turners for visiting sides, NZ included.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It said in today's Independent that England have only been whitewashed seven times ever, including the most recent series, so I'd guess favourites being whitewashed is pretty rare.

Looking at the instances, the only times where we might have started as favs would've been the 1920/21 Ashes & the non-Ashes tour of Oz in 79/80 and even then both are debateable. In the former instance England had beaten Oz 4-1 on their previous visit, but that was ten years previous and in the latter, although England had won 5-1 in Australia only a year previously, the hosts were strengthened by the returning WSC players.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 07-02-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typos
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Just wait a couple of days guys and CI will do an article on this matter after reading this thread.

RIP Craigos

School Boy/Girl Captain Nomanculture's Avatar
    One off Tests don't count right?

I have a certain Test played at The Oval in 1998, if they do...
    I'll show how it's done....

School Boy/Girl Captain Nomanculture's Avatar
    Being serious, how were the odds when Aussies toured SL in 2004?

3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Yeah, it also ignores the fact that the homogenization happened everywhere for close to a decade. India didn't exactly keep rolling out the turners for visiting sides, NZ included.
    In fact the two NZ series in India '02 and '11 probably had the most spin-unfriendly tracks among all the test series in India the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomanculture View Post
    Being serious, how were the odds when Aussies toured SL in 2004?
    I was thinking of this as well. I had not yet turned 18, so I never followed lines that closely at the time.
    But thinking about it, there is a good chance that SL were favorites. McGrath was injured, Warne was coming back after his drug ban and IIRC Pontings 1st series as captain.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    This is so true and its amazing how some of the NZ fans haven't looked at the reverse.

The tracks NZ got in 2002 in India were ridiculously flat with barely any assistance for the spinners.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Ya
    I suppose Australia would have been favourites with bookies here, but I really didn't approach the series with a heck of a lot of confidence, for the reasons others have mentioned here. I really thought, especially with Zaheer playing, that this was India's best chance to win here.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    What were the odds for Australia vs India with the Indian bookmakers? Obviously with the Australian bookmakers Australia will always be the favourites.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Really can't have happened to regularly. To be honest it puts cricket in a good position that even the number 1 team can be hammered by the number 5. Shows how close and competitive things are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Did Australia go to South Africa as favourites in 1970? I think we might have - SA hadn't played a Test for several years and we'd just won in India, something it would take us decades to repeat.
    This was the only instance I could think of a major number 1 v 2 clash ending in a whitewash (before India toured England and England the UAE) but I'm not sure who were favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan19 View Post
    What were the odds for Australia vs India with the Indian bookmakers? Obviously with the Australian bookmakers Australia will always be the favourites.
    Nah not really. International bookmakers and Australian bookmakers generally have similar markets with cricket (and most international sports).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information