Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instances of series favorites being whitewashed?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    No they were underdogs for the series and underdogs before every individual match.
    You're talking odds, right?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Aus were favorites.
    revisionism. I think a lot of Indian fans thought they actually had a chance of winning in Aus this winter. Especially after the Aussie batting crumbling every other innings.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    England, on the back of three successive Ashes wins and not having lost a series anywhere for the best part of a decade, were expected to beat Australia in 1958/59, but lost 4-0 with one draw - strange parallel with the current series actually

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    revisionism. I think a lot of Indian fans thought they actually had a chance of winning in Aus this winter. Especially after the Aussie batting crumbling every other innings.
    We're talking about objective odds - of course fans are going to be subjective. Hell, I thought we'd have a good shot at winning in England (proved hilariously wrong), but clearly the bookies (you know people who would actually lose $$ by being wrong) thought England were.

How is this revisionism? You're going to find bangladesh fans who think they can win in Australia if you look hard enough - that's part of being a fan. I think we all know that Indian fans were massively dissapointed at how India did in Australia - clearly that's not in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    You're talking odds, right?
    Ya

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    You're going to find bangladesh fans who think they can win in Australia if you look hard enough - that's part of being a fan. I think we all know that Indian fans were massively dissapointed at how India did in Australia - clearly that's not in question.
    yep....IIRC the bangladeshi fans said that "they would eat Ajmal alive" in the Pak-Bangers series and win 2-0
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    England, on the back of three successive Ashes wins and not having lost a series anywhere for the best part of a decade, were expected to beat Australia in 1958/59, but lost 4-0 with one draw - strange parallel with the current series actually
    Were Engand the favorites in the series against the Windies when Greig said " I will make them grovel". IIRC that series was a whitewash too
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

State Vice-Captain
    no, i think most "reasonable" Indian cricket followers felt that the debacle in England could have been just a blip. That Sachin and Laxman would surely pile it on against their old favorites. Also, seeing how green the Australian bowling was, and the fact that they'd just lost to NZ....you'd have had to be some skeptic to think we were outright underdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    no, i think most "reasonable" Indian cricket followers felt that the debacle in England could have been just a blip. That Sachin and Laxman would surely pile it on against their old favorites. Also, seeing how green the Australian bowling was, and the fact that they'd just lost to NZ....you'd have had to be some skeptic to think we were outright underdogs.
    I am not sure about your point. I thought we had a chance in Australia too, at least to win a Test or two.

Are you saying 'reasonable' Indian cricket followers are more objective in judging their chances than the bookies who make a living out of it?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    Were Engand the favorites in the series against the Windies when Greig said " I will make them grovel". IIRC that series was a whitewash too
    That was 3-0 with two draws - Greigy thought we were favourites, obviously, and the WIndies had just been on the wrong end of a thumping in Australia, but for those who inhabited the real world it was generally accepted that Greig was talking bollocks from the minute he made his ill advised grovel comment

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    From the view point of a neutral, I feel this series was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest. England were certainly in the 2nd and 3rd tests for quite a long period. I'd wager there have been considerably worse thrashings (even for favourites if I could be bothered thinking) where one or two tests have been drawn due to rain.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    That was 3-0 with two draws - Greigy thought we were favourites, obviously, and the WIndies had just been on the wrong end of a thumping in Australia, but for those who inhabited the real world it was generally accepted that Greig was talking bollocks from the minute he made his ill advised grovel comment
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    From the view point of a neutral, I feel this series was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest. England were certainly in the 2nd and 3rd tests for quite a long period. I'd wager there have been considerably worse thrashings (even for favourites if I could be bothered thinking) where one or two tests have been drawn due to rain.
    Yea, I am not talking about the worst defeats - just whitewashed when favorites. I'm sure there have been instances of the favorites losing worse, but due to whatever reason (rain, maybe a last minute partnership), the final scoreline wasn't as bad.

And even when underdogs, I think many would say their loss in 06-07 was 'worse' even though Australia were the favorites.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 07-02-2012 at 03:18 AM.

Did Australia go to South Africa as favourites in 1970? I think we might have - SA hadn't played a Test for several years and we'd just won in India, something it would take us decades to repeat.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

weren't some of SA-Aus encounters during the early 00's billed up as the unoffical world test championship only for Australia to steam roll them in every game. I know SA were not favorites but for a period in early 00's they were seen as the only side capable to challenge Aus for the top crown but were beaten black n blue when they had head to head meetings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information