• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worse number 1 side to rise to the top of the rankings during last year?

Which of the two do you think made for the worse # 1

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
We beat them 2-0 at home, which included an innings victory. Would've been 3-0, was a matter of one run. Plus we beat them in the WI too.

Anyway, not taking anything away from Pakistan, was amazing to see them play the way they did in this series. Just not convinced they can sustain this brilliance over the long term, especially not outside the SC/ME.

Feel free to dig this post and have a good laugh at me if they do, however. :laugh:
Standard Pak answer: at least we won one match in England even with a more fragile team :p

deerkick

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
That's the best part about world cricket right now. I think Australia, South Africa, England, and Pakistan are around the same level. This English team may have lost but they showed fight. In English conditions things would have been a lot different. At the moment I would say Australia is a touch better than the rest though.

India and Sri Lanka below the four only being really good at home. NZ and WI touch below them but not by much.

deerkick

We beat them 2-0 at home, which included an innings victory. Would've been 3-0, was a matter of one run. Plus we beat them in the WI too.

Anyway, not taking anything away from Pakistan, was amazing to see them play the way they did in this series. Just not convinced they can sustain this brilliance over the long term, especially not outside the SC/ME.

Feel free to dig this post and have a good laugh at me if they do, however. :laugh:
I would not brag about this as an Indian fan. Any top 4 team on its day can do the same. No other team in history has recieved a beating in tests like India has. Past performances against lower ranked team mean ****.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I would not brag about this as an Indian fan. Any top 4 team on its day can do the same. No other team in history has recieved a beating in tests like India has. Past performances against lower ranked team mean ****.
Who said I'm bragging? Definitely not bragging. I know India have been poor in the last 2 away series. I'm just questioning those who are ranking Pakistan so high after one home series. And replying back to AN's comment on WI giving us a headache at home.

EDIT: Also, there's a difference between "can do" and "having done".

Last edited:

deerkick

Who said I'm bragging? Definitely not bragging. I know India have been poor in the last 2 away series. I'm just questioning those who are ranking Pakistan so high after one home series. And replying back to AN's comment on WI giving us a headache at home.
Bragging was the wrong term lol. But anyways I'm an Indian fan and I was a bit dissapointed with the way we dealt with the Windies at home. But then again I would also like a complete overhaul of our test team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'll probably be something along the lines of, "I've played more cricket at a higher level than you guys, therefore I know best, and I say that England are worse than India. Therefore, England are worse than India."
And with that post, Uppercut wins cricket web

miscer

U19 Cricketer
This thread does seem a bit unclassy. Come on Smali, celebrate Pakistan, not any other team's fall! :)
nah screw that I remember all the 4-0's and japes about india not being able to play outside of india. well where is the worlds number 1 team now? seems like they suck in asia. 3-0 watup?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Yuo won in England cos of a denied LBW at Lords, the Kiwis when they were played were at the onus and the WI have been laughable for years.

SA don't know how to win away simple as.

SL by that point lacked and seamers to back up Murali as Vaas had gone. The match that they won that series also lacked said Offie as he reitred after the first match of the series, where India got hammered.

As for smashing people at home well...

You narrowly beat the Kiwis in '10 and hardly dominated that series.

When England were captained by that renown strategist that Is KP you only won 1-0 and your bowling was hardly sublime.

PS: Welcome to the forum.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Meant at home.

Either way your record at Home isn't as impressive as you'd like to make out.

Also Steyn only missed the first test.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Due to it favoring my current argument, I'm going to switch to a percent based analysis. England have lost 100% of their recent Tests in Asia while India have lost 100% of their recent Tests outside Asia. Therefore, India and England are equally bad away. India have a better record at home, ergo India are better than England.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Due to it favoring my current argument, I'm going to switch to a percent based analysis. England have lost 100% of their recent Tests in Asia while India have lost 100% of their recent Tests outside Asia. Therefore, India and England are equally bad away. India have a better record at home, ergo India are better than England.
Won our last two tests in Asia before these three :ph34r:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
At least this thread proves India will at least be 1st at something again in the near future.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
That looked confusing in your post. I'm still confused now, mind you it makes more sense than the ICC ones.

EnglandWLLDWWDLWLWWWL521119
IndiaWLDDWLWLWDWWWW621223
SouthAfricaDLDDDWWDWLWDWW423323
AustraliaLLWLLDWDWWDWWW431222
PakistanWDWLLDDLWLWWWD511320
Sri LankaWLDLWLLLWLWDDD402214
New ZealandLLLLDLLDLLDLDW01318
West IndiesWLLLLLLLDLDDLD10228

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Last, SA drew England at home and beat them away
That looked confusing in your post. I'm still confused now, mind you it makes more sense than the ICC ones.

EnglandWLLDWWDLWLWWWL521119
IndiaWLDDWLWLWDWWWW621223
SouthAfricaDLDDDWWDWLWDWW423323
AustraliaLLWLLDWDWWDWWW431222
PakistanWDWLLDDLWLWWWD511320
Sri LankaWLDLWLLLWLWDDD402214
New ZealandLLLLDLLDLLDLDW01318
West IndiesWLLLLLLLDLDDLD10228
Pakistan lost against England away but you have put it as a draw.

Thanks guys.. changed those. Here's the updated one. RSA comfortably the #1 now.