• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worse number 1 side to rise to the top of the rankings during last year?

Which of the two do you think made for the worse # 1

• Total voters

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be interested in a deconstruction from Benchmark as to why England are a worse side than India.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would be interested in a deconstruction from Benchmark as to why England are a worse side than India.
It'll probably be something along the lines of, "I've played more cricket at a higher level than you guys, therefore I know best, and I say that England are worse than India. Therefore, England are worse than India."

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll probably be something along the lines of, "I've played more cricket at a higher level than you guys, therefore I know best, and I say that England are worse than India. Therefore, England are worse than India."
Yeah, but I wanted to see how he'd dress it up.

smash84

The Tiger King
one point that goes against England is that they got whitewashed by a side that was ranked 5th or 6th before the series began.

Howe_zat

Audio File
one point that goes against England is that they got whitewashed by a side that was ranked 5th or 6th before the series began.
It was quite clear that Pakistan were better than that, though. Their ranking was (and still is) significantly influenced by the results basically a different team between 2008 and 2010.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
England definitely the worst number 1 side ever. Let's see them even match India's length of time at the top. Plus, I don't rate any side that doesn't take all formats seriously. England will never dominate, they just don't have it in them. :p

And those of you ranking Pakistan highly, after one home series, are definitely misguided. They're improving no doubt, but far from a top side just yet. Let's see how they perform outside the SC/ME. Didn't they just fail to win a series in the West Indies last year? Correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure they'll fall back below 100 points on the ICC Table soon enough.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was quite clear that Pakistan were better than that, though. Their ranking was (and still is) significantly influenced by the results basically a different team between 2008 and 2010.
all teams' rankings are. And unless you invent a way of having every team play each other in home and away series the same year, that is how it will always be.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
England definitely the worst number 1 side ever. Let's see them even match India's length of time at the top. Plus, I don't rate any side that doesn't take all formats seriously. England will never dominate, they just don't have it in them. :p

And those of you ranking Pakistan highly, after one home series, are definitely misguided. They're improving no doubt, but far from a top side just yet. Let's see how they perform outside the SC/ME. Didn't they just fail to win a series in the West Indies last year? Correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure they'll fall back below 100 points on the ICC Table soon enough.
Yep we drew against West Indies in their own turf. But we are slowly improving. Plus WI did give you guys a headache in your own back yard. :D

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep we drew against West Indies in their own turf. But we are slowly improving. Plus WI did give you guys a headache in your own back yard. :D
We beat them 2-0 at home, which included an innings victory. Would've been 3-0, was a matter of one run. Plus we beat them in the WI too.

Anyway, not taking anything away from Pakistan, was amazing to see them play the way they did in this series. Just not convinced they can sustain this brilliance over the long term, especially not outside the SC/ME.

Feel free to dig this post and have a good laugh at me if they do, however. :laugh:

Last edited: