• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that had quick declines....

kingkallis

International Coach
Ian Bishop
Vinod Kambli
Basit Ali
Jason Gillespie
Makhaya Ntini ( looked awesome in 2007/08 and looked tired in 2008/09 )
Ishant Sharma

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bradman. Went from averaging over 100 to being literally unable to score a run in the space of two tests.

In all seriousness, the end for Gough came pretty quickly, at least as a test performer. When he came back for those two tests versus South Africa in 2003 nearly two years after his previous test he was plainly a spent force. He added nearly a run to his overall career average.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Mashrafe Mortaza and that Bangladeshi batsman who was the youngest test centurion ever. What was his name?

Jacknife

International Captain
Bowlers in this are almost always cases of the "lost their nip" tag. Pretty sure Clark and Gillespie got branded with it, rightly or not. Hoggard, Ntini, Caddick would be a few off the top of my head.
Yes, this reminded me of watching a old series from SA, I think in '04 and Hoggard was bowling and according to the speed gun it was around 80-82 mph, the next day I watched him on SKY and guess what, he was till bowling the same pace 7 years later.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bowlers in this are almost always cases of the "lost their nip" tag. Pretty sure Clark and Gillespie got branded with it, rightly or not. Hoggard, Ntini, Caddick would be a few off the top of my head.
Ryan Sidebottom springs to mind - lose 5km/h and suddenly no longer a threat. Perhaps Doug Bollinger too.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jacob Oram's batting was going along nicely but then fell off a cliff.
Would have strongly agreed with this 24 hours ago, but a small glimmer of hope has returned.

I see Jason Gillespie's already been mentioned a couple of times. He was the one that came to mind first for me as well.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He was utterly garbage in the one dayers that preceeded the 2005 Ashes and spent the 3 Tests he did play bowling absolute dross.

I think I've read on here before that some people felt in hindsight that he'd perhaps shown signs of decline in the home summer prior to the Ashes.
Tests in NZ I believe.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Jesse Ryder has a bit of a job to ensure he doesn't go into this category as well.

Simon Doull had a fairly tragic last half dozen tests - saw his average go out from 27 to 29.

Days of Grace

International Captain
In Doull's final 6 tests, he took 3 wickets at 140.67. Ouch.

Five of those tests were against red-hot Australian and South African batting lineups, but still...

_Ed_

Five of those tests were against red-hot Australian and South African batting lineups, but still...
Crikey. I've sometimes wondered why his Test career ended so agonisingly close to 100 wickets. I guess that's a pretty good explanation.

Flametree

International 12th Man

His batting average in that time was probably about 25 though so he was still almost worth a spot... :wacko:

And I think the other test in there was against England at Edgbaston when he bowled as good a delivery as you could imagine to dismiss Nasser Hussain....

NASSER HUSSAIN BOWLED BY INSANE DELIVERY BY SIMON DOULL 1999 1st test - YouTube

He then top scored (I think??) in the NZ second innings before being carted around the park by Tudor in the second dig.

Zinzan

JP Duminy - End of thread

I genuinely thought this guy was the next Brian Lara following his debut series against Australia a few years back....not sure what happened to him since

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
His batting average in that time was probably about 25 though so he was still almost worth a spot... :wacko:

And I think the other test in there was against England at Edgbaston when he bowled as good a delivery as you could imagine to dismiss Nasser Hussain....

NASSER HUSSAIN BOWLED BY INSANE DELIVERY BY SIMON DOULL 1999 1st test - YouTube

He then top scored (I think??) in the NZ second innings before being carted around the park by Tudor in the second dig.
Somehow, Kapil Dev's name crops up in my mind though I ve not watched him play. Think he had a quick decline towards the later part of his career and struggled to pick every single wicket. Just played to beat the record.