• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's worst ever series performances

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Inspired by a brief discussion yesterday about whether England had ever batted more poorly throughout a series.

Obviously this one has to be right up there, which is tough on the bowlers, but their efforts are clearly trumped by the batters' ineptitiude. Other candidates.

1999 at home to NZ. The eventual 2-1 defeat flattered England, who barely managed a score against a side that had taken a grand total of 14 wickets in their three match series against SA a few months earlier.

1989 at home to Australia. Again, 0-4 flattered us: it could easily have been 0-6 to an Aus side who at that stage had improved from their mid1980s horrors to 'competent'. This time, with the exception of Fraser, the bowling was as feeble as the batting.

1984 at home to WI. Blackwash - that's 0-5 to the younger readers. English players of the time will tell you that WI did this to everyone. They didn't. England were the only side to lose every test in a series to WI, even in their pomp. English players of the time will also tell you that their four-pronged pace attack left no room to regroup and put up some sort of a fight. True in other series, but not in this one, where the 3rd & 4th bowlers weren't nearly as good as the openers.

2005 in Pakistan. tbf they probably hadn't sobered up after winning the Ashes. Should have won the first test but batted like idiots in the 4th innings. Bluffed their way through the 2nd and gave up without a trace in the 3rd. Given what had gone on during the previous 12 months, this was the rudest of awakenings.

1958/59 in Australia. World Champions, A middle order to die for, ditto the pace attack. Yet they went down 0-4, Even allowing for the chucking row, you have to conclude that this lot of famous names simply didn't have the stomach for it.

India in 1993. Keith Fletcher famously dismissed Kumble after watching him struggle in SA. England, despite this being the 1990's, had done respectably over the previous couple of years. But they lost all 3 tests. Selection was a nonsense, but even so, much more was expected. The most clueless performance against spin seen from an England side before the current series.

India in 1986. Apparently we were shell-shocked after our mauling in the Caribbean three months previously. Even so, a home series against India in the mid 1980s in the first half of the English summer was seen as an easy chance to regroup. It didn't happen, and India cantered home 2-0. Roger Binny ffs.

Have I forgotten any? The hammerings in Aus throughout the 1990's and 2000's were hardly unexpected. Even the 2006/07 whitewash.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Australia 06-07 needs to be on this list. Even though we were beaten by an ATG team, the ineptitude displayed in each Test was beyond belief.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think Australia 06-07 needs to be on this list. Even though we were beaten by an ATG team, the ineptitude displayed in each Test was beyond belief.
I know I'll probably get outvoted on that particular series. I honestly think that Aus side would have thumped just about anyone 5-0, but I know I'm in a minority.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I know I'll probably get outvoted on that particular series. I honestly think that Aus side would have thumped just about anyone 5-0, but I know I'm in a minority.
Don't get me wrong I agree that they would have. It is the manner of our defeat rather than the outcome itself that gives me bad memories.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, there's a reason the victory at Adelaide in 2010 was my favourite of the last tour. In 2006 we'd been absolutely dicked at Brisbane and fought back well in the first 4 days at Adelaide - end of day 4 we were in a position where a 'winning' draw would probably have been secured, which would have represented a solid fightback and set the rest of the series up quite nicely.

5-0 was only inevitable after the capitulation at Adelaide.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The non-canonical 79/80 tour of Oz looks to have been something of a disaster too. 3-0 hammering against an Australia who, whilst strengthened by the returning WSC players, were facing what looked a decent English side captained by Prof Brearley and featuring variously Boycott, Randall, Gooch, Gower, Botham, Dilley, Underwood, Lever & Willis.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The non-canonical 79/80 tour of Oz looks to have been something of a disaster too. 3-0 hammering against an Australia who, whilst strengthened by the returning WSC players, were facing what looked a decent English side captained by Prof Brearley and featuring variously Boycott, Randall, Gooch, Gower, Botham, Dilley, Underwood, Lever & Willis.
Yeah - it's something of a forgotten tour, actually. Maybe because it was only 3 against Aus, and because the ashes weren't up for grabs. It wasn't well received at the time though. Brearley in particular took a real hammering from the press.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kneejerk reaction to this tour in my opinion. Yes, it's been bad, but by no means as bad as others - probably exaggerated by being 3 back to back tests so no time in between for the batsmen to regroup and refocus.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Kneejerk reaction to this tour in my opinion. Yes, it's been bad, but by no means as bad as others - probably exaggerated by being 3 back to back tests so no time in between for the batsmen to regroup and refocus.
Agreed that the calls to drop the entire middle order are knee-jerk.
Agreed to differ about their performance though. The batting has actually been significantly worse than most of the other tours mentioned

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
at least there is some positive to take out from this series, notably the bowling.

The batting is god awful tstl. I can't remember when I saw such ineptitude against spin bowling and that too against bowlers not at the Warne/Murali level

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The batting is god awful tstl. I can't remember when I saw such ineptitude against spin bowling and that too against bowlers not at the Warne/Murali level
I'm so glad you said that and not me. With all due respect to Ajmal & Rehman, they shouldn't be bowling out sides for these sorts of scores.

smash84

The Tiger King
dude I don't think any Pakistan fan is under the illusion that Ajmal and Co are at the Warne/Murali level

even then they are eating the English batsmen alive (as the bangladesh cricket fans would say lol)

hazsa19

International Regular
The worst defeats I can personally remember have been Multan 05 and the series, Adelaide 06 and the series, and Abu Dhabi 12, and the series.

The batsman must be giving the bowlers advice now. Someone's told Monty to do the opposite of what he did in the first innings 8-)

Days of Grace

International Captain
Still remember watching the 1999 series at my parent's house as a 17 year-old in the middle of the night. May have even listened to TMS as well. Can vaguely remember Fred Trueman commentating.

England's batting was beyond dire. Once Atherton, Thorpe, and Stewart were out, the middle crumbled and they had a very long tail with Caddick in at 8.

Which makes it even more unbelievable that Tudor scored an unbeaten near-ton as a nightwatchman to beat us in the 1st test.

Back to England, the 1958/59 side losing so heavily is one of cricket's greatest mysteries when you look at the two teams on paper.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Bowling really has been some of the best I have seen. You guys have all your bases covered. In the subcontinent, two very good spinners and two amazing quicks. And in seam/swing conditions you guys can bring in Bresnan, Tremlett, Onions, Finn. Really top class.

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The 3-0 loss against India in the 1992-93 series must rank up there. England were not exactly expected to win the series, but the absolute tripe in the name of batting they came up with was pathetic to watch. The likes of Gatting, Smith, Blakey etc. were absolutely dire and the only silver lining for England was Graeme Hick's 178 and Ian Salisbury's performance, not with the ball but with the bat.

Jacknife

International Captain
Got to admit it's been a strange one to say the least, obviously England have lost tests in the sub continent before but I can't remember a time that they've been so bad in the sub continent in the last 10 years.
Most of these exact same players have played & performed much better than they have here in this series, in places like India and SL, so we know they are not this hopless, it leaves one wondering whether this has become a mental thing.
I mean before the series you'd not have put any of the England players as complete bunnies against spin, far from it, especially when we've faced practically all the spinners in the world already in England in the past couple of years, it makes it more of a head scratcher, even though it's different conditions.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah I wub Rehman but no way should he be running through world's best side consistently.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Back to England, the 1958/59 side losing so heavily is one of cricket's greatest mysteries when you look at the two teams on paper.
From England's pov, I think the relatively poor standard of opening batsmen must have been a huge problem. A middle order of Cowdrey. May & Dexter looked great, but there weren't many runs on the board when they came in to bat.

That being said, it was all before my time. Older CWers may have more helpful perspectives on the 1958/59 series.