• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's worst ever series performances

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
This is so good, we whitewash England and then we get to see Afridi belt these suckers all over the park...its delicious

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd still rank the Ashes 2006/07 as being worse. At least our bowlers showed up for this series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, this was far from our worst performance, and no matter what others say, there's only really one change I'd consider - Morgan out, possibly for Bresnan, but personally rather for Taylor.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'd still rank the Ashes 2006/07 as being worse. At least our bowlers showed up for this series.
Of course....that was arguably the greatest test side in cricket history

This is a number 5/6 ranked team in the world. This is quite abysmal.

Jacknife

International Captain
This is so good, we whitewash England and then we get to see Afridi belt these suckers all over the park...its delicious
Afridi belting anyone round the park is being optimistic to say the least, he'll get a few wickets mind.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I agree we were never in a position to win the first test, but we should have chased 150 in the last test. And we should have won this test after bowling you out for 99 first dig, obviously the test is still going on but it's hard to see you not win it from here.
The should have is interesting when you have basically been indicating all along that the batsmen have been incompetent.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Probably because Bresnan was injured. Stick that in your fact pipe and smoke it.
He said possibly for Bresnan. For me, it was a no brainer if it was Bresnan. But even with Finn, I would have taken that chance. As I said before, that showed the best chance England has of competing against Pak in those conditions with the squad they have taken.. Too bad facts and plain reasoning can be too much for you folks at times.. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What the **** are you talking about?

With the current situation I've said that I would prefer a batsman to replace Morgan but could understand Bresnan being called up, and you take that as vindication of something you said ages ago when Bresnan was out injured?

Have you failed to notice that the bowling attack worked really well as a 4 man unit in this tour, the only one disappointing performance being Tremlett in the 1st Test, so there is absolutely no benefit from picking a 5th bowler who's batting is far from good enough to replace a batsman?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What the **** are you talking about?

With the current situation I've said that I would prefer a batsman to replace Morgan but could understand Bresnan being called up, and you take that as vindication of something you said ages ago when Bresnan was out injured?

Have you failed to notice that the bowling attack worked really well as a 4 man unit in this tour, the only one disappointing performance being Tremlett in the 1st Test, so there is absolutely no benefit from picking a 5th bowler who's batting is far from good enough to replace a batsman?
even a batsman like Morgan? :p

see, you guys can come out here and claim whatever you want. I said that picking Finn over Morgan was a better option simply because Morgan is not gonna be any good in these conditions in this series. If he goes back, improves and comes back, sure. But right now, he is a waste of space in the eleven. I am just saying why not try and pick a bowler who might just make a difference (and who knows, might even score more than Morgan, which is not a big ask) over a batsman whom you know will not make a difference.

As if

Cricket Spectator
They are incompetent against spin in the subcontinent. It's in their heads because these pitches don't spin crazy, but whatever the reason, the end effect is that they're incompetent in the subcontinent against spin.
No, no, no, no, no, no. I'm not having that. England were playing a team from the sub-continent but the conditions were nothing like you'd find in Pakistan or India. There was no energy sapping humidity, it was no warmer than a hot summers day in England, there was for the most part a pleasant breeze blowing across the grounds and although lacking pace there was plenty of bounce in all three wickets the teams played on. The bottom line is England were 'incompetent', period. They're simply hopeless against spin and they were thoroughly out played and rolled over by a mediocre team featuring one half decent quick and two 'offies'. This time next year we'll be where we should be in the rankings, third or fourth.

Making wholesale changes might be regarded as 'knee jerk'. But imo when a team plays as badly as England have over three test matches the players involved need to be given a wake up call. Drastic action needs to be taken and I'd drop the lot of them and prepare for the future. Give youngsters like Taylor the opportunity to play in Bangladesh and get used to sub-continental conditions at an early stage of their careers. Pietersen's obviously a lost cause and learning nothing so let's give young players who are more willing to adapt and learn from playing abroad in 'adverse' (what a joke) conditions.