• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any bowler who's better than Malcolm Marshall or could challenge him?

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
I'd probably go with Steyn. He's good enough to play cricket till the age of 36 and may even end up coming close to Mcgrath's record of 563 wickets!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No.
:)

His career stats are unrivalled in the modern era and his resume is clean and complete. His home and away numbers are nearly identicle and he played and was successful everywhere. He was fast, could swing it both ways, accurate had the meanest bouncer and go could bowl all day.
Simply the best.

And yes, know I will hear it for this.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Second best in my book, which is still exceptional.
His lack of express pace was both a plus and a minus, but there were times when he was collared, maybe because of it.

subshakerz

International Coach
At his absolute peak in the early 80s, I would put Imran as perhaps his equal or even slightly above him. Overall career, no fast bowler can match Marshall.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Too tough to split Marshall, Hadlee, McGrath, Lillee, Imran and Ambrose, although Macko has to be primus inter pares and the rest to follow in that order. Steyn, Wasim, Donald, Waqar, Holding and Garner aren't too far behind either.

bagapath

International Captain
At his absolute peak in the early 80s, I would put Imran as perhaps his equal or even slightly above him. Overall career, no fast bowler can match Marshall.
Marshall's best years started after he took the new ball for the first time in Kanpur in the 83-84 series vs India and lasted till the 88-89 season when he went past Gibbs' record for west Indies.

Imran's best years as bowler were between 81 and 84.

smash84

The Tiger King
Imran's peak years as bowler were 79-80 to 82-83. I think throughout the 80s both Hadlee and Imran struck at a lower average and SR than Marshall.

The most complete fast bowler (in terms of moving the ball around) that I have ever seen is Wasim and in a recent interview when Wasim was asked if he could be another bowler who would it be and Wasim said Marshall. The interviewer asked him "You will switch easily"? and Wasim was like "just like this (snapping his fingers together)"

Debris

International 12th Man
The big concern for Malcolm Marshall is the number of other bowlers playing in the same era with similar records, Imran Khan, Dennis Lillee, Richard Hadlee, Curtley Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Wasim Akram are all contemporaries of Marshall and their records are not markedly worse and some would argue better. It may be coincidence that most of what are considered the great bowlers all played together but it does give you cause to think.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Most people voted in my hadlee vs Marshall thread that although both could move it both ways - Marshall was better because he was faster. And in most CW polls he is ranked as the number 1 seamer ever.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Imran's peak years as bowler were 79-80 to 82-83. I think throughout the 80s both Hadlee and Imran struck at a lower average and SR than Marshall.
Nah, I think they both shaded him in average (all three averaged 19-odd IIRC) but pretty sure Macko's strike rate was unmatched.