• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is there any bowler who's better than Malcolm Marshall or could challenge him?

Flem274*

123/5
Quite clearly the answer to the original post is Doug Bracewell.

In other matters, I seriously don't think it matters who you pick out of a group of 10-15 atg bowlers. They're all very similar to each other and I just cbf dissecting their records until all that's left is the realisation you will never win the argument anyway.

Flem274*

123/5
I mean seriously, I say it's Hadlee because I want the answer to be Hadlee. Obviously I can back this up with statistics and subjective drivel like how he looks, and the intangibles like being the main man in the attack, but in the end I can't prove beyond all doubt he is the best and the same applies to Marshall, McGrath or anyone else in the top echelon.

There is no Bradman of bowling.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Curious who'd be other bowlers in your lineup.
McGrath and either Warne or Murali, depending on my mood that particular day.

Barnes, Lillee, Hadlee and whichever of Warne and Murali I didn't pick would form the core attack of my all time Second XI. Which I suppose many would argue is at least as strong a combination as the quartet in my First XI anyway.

watson

Banned
Anantha Narayanan made an interesting statistical analysis of some modern bowlers and came up with 1. Muralitharan, 2. McGrath and 3. Hadlee as the greatest bowlers.

THE FEARSOME 15: A Look at the Great Bowlers

......It does not matter which route is taken, be it the high road or low road, be it the country road or the highway, be it the scenic route or the road through the concrete jungle, there is only one destination. The one which proclaims Muralitharan as the best amongst the equals. Let no one forget the X-factor here, the impact Muralitharan has had on Sri Lankan cricket. Glenn McGrath comes in next, a well-deserved place for this outstanding metronome. Richard Hadlee, the legendary fast bowler from down under clocks in the third position. Malcolm Marshall, that fearsome Bajan fast bowling "giant" is in fourth position, closely followed by the other Caribbean giant, this time physically also, Curtley Ambrose.
Imran Khan follows next, a well-deserved position for this wonderful bowler, batsman and born leader of men, despite playing in quite a few tests as a batsman. Dennis Lillee, one of the all-time greats, follows next. He is the highest placed bowler who does not lead in any category. Alan Donald is in seventh position, closely followed by the other West Indian giant, Joel Garner. Now comes Shane Warne, a well-deserved top-10 position for this magician.
The third section of the table is led by the fiery Englishman, Trueman. Now we have arguably the best fast bowling pair ever, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, paired together here also. The two Indian bowlers come in next. First, Anil Kumble, whose contributions to Indian cricket can be matched by only one player, the little master. One could say the same of Kapil Dev. The fact that these two Indian stalwarts come in at the end indicates that India has traditionally relied on its batting. However these two are definitely India's best bowlers ever.

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
However, in my opinion, if you asked 100 top order batsmen who they would least like to face at any given time about 90 of them would say Malcolm Marshall.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree with it. It's very flawed...like, in every single criteria it chooses to rate; it unfairly benefits one group of bowlers and hinders the others.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree with it. It's very flawed...like, in every single criteria it chooses to rate; it unfairly benefits one group of bowlers and hinders the others.
Some of the 10 criteria used are inter-related, too. All in all, a bogus methodology.

The exclusion of Sydney Barnes from the list of 15 is the first pathetic step, but that's only the first among many...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha yeah, it reads as though his reasoning is "I've decided to exclude Sydney Barnes because, well, he'd win."