• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non performing Captains

Xuhaib

International Coach
Just read an article on cricinfo where they talk about pressure on Strauss due to lack of runs however he has been short of runs for a while now and this has only come to the fore when the team has lost.

So do you think a free ride is justified for a captain just because his team is winning, isn't the first responsibility of a cricketer is to make runs or take wickets rest of the things like how well they captain the team comes later.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not just the captain though..the issue is when the team is winning, you can always carry a few non performing players... England carried a woefully out of form Collingwood all through the Ashes and it didn't effect them...because nothing succeeds like success. When things go wrong, that's when everything crumbles.. So now all of a sudden cricinfo will write articles about Strauss..they didn't during the India series.

Ultimately you have to look at each issue individually..like PEWS said in the other topic...England do not really have a replacement opener. So its not like they have someone who is likely to come in and score runs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Like Jayawardene has a few centuries outside of flat pitches in a career of 10000 runs, PEWS has a few good posts in his career of 30000 posts :ph34r:

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Be interesting to see the captain/not captain stats for Hussain, Vaughan & Strauss. My guess is all have done worse with the armband.

Love Strauss, obvz, but I don't think he's a Brearley as a captain (or, happily, as batsman either), so I don't know how long we can carry him for. What is he? 35 this year. Could get a second wind, but he's a class or two below some of the older guys (Sachin, Dravid, Punter, etc) who have.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Be interesting to see the captain/not captain stats for Hussain, Vaughan & Strauss. My guess is all have done worse with the armband.

Love Strauss, obvz, but I don't think he's a Brearley as a captain (or, happily, as batsman either), so I don't know how long we can carry him for. What is he? 35 this year. Could get a second wind, but he's a class or two below some of the older guys (Sachin, Dravid, Punter, etc) who have.
Looking at your quote from Boycs, the old boy seems to have forgotten this particular effort

1st Test: New Zealand v England at Wellington, Feb 10-15, 1978 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Going back to your points, one of the things about Strauss, iirc, is that at first his batting flourished with the captaincy, which suggests that the current decline is down to other factors. Looking forward, my guess is that Graeme Smith will claim his 3rd victim this summer.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Just read an article on cricinfo where they talk about pressure on Strauss due to lack of runs however he has been short of runs for a while now and this has only come to the fore when the team has lost.

So do you think a free ride is justified for a captain just because his team is winning, isn't the first responsibility of a cricketer is to make runs or take wickets rest of the things like how well they captain the team comes later.
It's not as bad as some people have been making out, he's made decent scores over the past few years anyway. He batted well in the Ashes and didn't have a brilliant summer last year but made a good score before been bowled off a no-ball.

More to the point, who'd you replace him with anyway?

Its not just the captain though..the issue is when the team is winning, you can always carry a few non performing players... England carried a woefully out of form Collingwood all through the Ashes and it didn't effect them...because nothing succeeds like success. When things go wrong, that's when everything crumbles.. So now all of a sudden cricinfo will write articles about Strauss..they didn't during the India series.

Ultimately you have to look at each issue individually..like PEWS said in the other topic...England do not really have a replacement opener. So its not like they have someone who is likely to come in and score runs.
Collingwood's alternative was Bopara.

I rest my case.

TNT

Banned
So Engalnd have no depth in the batting department, if Strauss who averages below 30 over the last two years and there is no replacement knocking on the door.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So Engalnd have no depth in the batting department, if Strauss who averages below 30 over the last two years and there is no replacement knocking on the door.
They've got a couple of promising middle order players.

Openers though - no, not really. If Strauss was actually injured they'd either open with Trott, push Bell up to three and bring in another middle order batsman at six or they'd play Carberry; neither of which are better options than a proven Test opener like Strauss even if he's been sub-par for the last two years.

Long term they'll be looking at Hales and Root but they aren't there yet.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty much.

James Taylor is pretty much the only **** that looks like a quality player ats.