• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watching cricket this summer in England without taking out a second mortgage.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi all... so, after this calculation (for two people, vs South Africa):

Crappiest seats - £100 or Reasonable seats - £180
Food/drink - £30 (conservative!)
Train tickets - £90

Total = £220/£300
I have sadly decided against the Lord's ballot this year. I consider myself lucky enough to potentially be able to afford it, but thinking what else I can do with this kind of money - especially given I know who crappy the crappy seats are - it's just not going to be worth it.

So... I was wondering... what is the best way to watch cricket for a decent price next summer? Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions? I'm wondering if there's anything 'off the beaten track' as it were - or something a bit different - that anyone has enjoyed before.

I'm in East Anglia/the South East, BTW.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got sky sports so you're welcome round at mine for the price of a few tins of lager and some ad hoc childcare

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
At home, on the couch, with some hot cocoa and wrapped in a warm snuggie

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
> Have 21st birthday
> Persuade father to buy Lord's tickets
> Wait for father to buy tickets
> Ask father what happened to the tickets
> Educate father on how to use the internet
> Give up and ask to borrow father's visa
> Buy Lord's tickets

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just thinking, how expensive are tickets for Old Trafford likely to be in 2013?
Not sure, but we've got best category seats for £60 a head for the Australian ODI this time.

Mind you that can be no guide, tickets for the India game at Edgbaston last year £35, for same seat and Windies £60 this year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought that. Behind the bowlers arm as well (which made the £35 such a bargain)

I wonder if one being a Wednesday (India) and one a Friday makes a difference? Still £48 for day 1 tickets though!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you had decent sized grounds it wouldn't be an issue.
Letting the record skip letting the record skip letting the record skip Letting the record skip letting the record skip letting the record skip Letting the record skip letting the record skip letting the record skip Letting the record skip letting the record skip letting the record skip Letting the record skip letting the record skip letting the record skip

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't bought any tix yet but thinking a Test at Headingley and maybe an ODI against Kylie and jason's lot

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe I'm just getting stingy in my old age :p But I guess not being really near a ground hikes it up because of the travel. Also spoilt by the corporate box at Lords last year (pays to be the only girl on the project who likes cricket, managers don't want to look ***ist by only giving tickets to men!).

WI tickets aren't actually too bad, but there's a good chance they will be dire and I've been a bit burnt with not so good teams before getting day 3 tickets and seeing only a couple of hours.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you had decent sized grounds it wouldn't be an issue.
If the counties spent millions of pounds redeveloping their grounds, bearing in mind that in the UK the trend is for single-purpose stadia, who do you think the cost will be passed on to?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the counties spent millions of pounds redeveloping their grounds, bearing in mind that in the UK the trend is for single-purpose stadia, who do you think the cost will be passed on to?
Why not do it in conjunction with the ecb and/ or with government funding?

Fmd, 20 odd million people in London and you have two grounds which hold, what? 30,000 max, give or take?

This belongs in the English mindset problem thread tbh.