• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NEW FEATURE ON BENCHMARK00WEB.NET: Indian cricket test series report & analysis

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Something I've whacked up to get my thoughts down on paper.

This was done whilst my girlfriend watched an hour long episode of the Biggest Loser, and I haven't proof read it yet cause even I cbf reading it.

Please note that I don't expect anyone to read any of this, so this is officially inb4 'tl;dr, cliffs etc etc'.

This is a report on where I think India failed over the course of the test tour, and what I'd be presenting to the board if I was in charge of writing a review of what went down.

This is totally from an Indian perspective. It does not considering anything the Australians did, i.e. It doesn't touch on how the Australians executed their plans well and how they just simply bowled and batted extremely well.

The best I can hope from you is that you print it out and have a read one day when you're bored.

NB: Stats nuffies change the channel now. Includes no stats.

benchmark00

India Test Series Report​

Code:
[SIZE="4"][B][CENTER]CONTENTS[/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]
[B]1.0[/B] Executive Summary
[B]2.0 [/B]Batting
[B]3.0[/B] Bowling
[B]3.1[/B] Overview
[B]3.2[/B] Bowlers Analysis
[B]4.0[/B] Captaincy/Preparation/Fielding:
[B]4.1[/B] Captaincy
[B]4.2[/B] Preparation
[B]4.3[/B] Fielding
[B]5.0[/B] Findings, Conclusions & Recommendations
1.0 Executive Summary

The Indian cricket team failed to compete in any of the key disciplines of cricket (batting, bowling and fielding). Adding to that, they also exhibited immense shortcomings in planning and captaincy. In the following report, I have outlined the issues which contributed to India suffering such a large defeat.

benchmark00

2.0 Batting

Virender Sehwag – Sehwag battled balance issues throughout the tour of Australia. His lack of footwork has been cited by many pundits, but if truth be told, Sehwag has often given the impression that his feet are painted on even when the opener has gone through prolific run periods during his career.

The real problem with Sehwag's batting has been his balance, which ofcourse is somewhat related to his poor foot work. During the test tour, Sehwag was hitting too many balls at catchable height. If your balance is weighted towards the leg side (say backward square leg for visual purposes) your bat will naturally swing in an arc which is conducive to uppish strokes. Ofcourse this can be somewhat compensated by regulation good footwork, however when the two evils combine it is a recipe for dire problems.

Gautam Gambhir – Gambhir was exposed on a number of occasions with balls up around chest height and higher. Indian batsmen having trouble with the rising ball in Australia is as old as time, but have you ever wondered why that is? As in, what are they technically doing wrong?

Gambhir in particular, tries to play defensively on the back foot to balls up around chest height, this is a huge no no in Australia. To play the shot, it requires you to get airborn and jump back in the crease. As soon as you leave the ground, by definition it is impossible to keep your head still, and as everyone knows, the key to a good shot is being perfectly balanced and still at the point of impact. Not to mention that it makes it more difficult to adjust to a ball which seams away.

In Australia you have to play the short ball in one of two ways:

1)Pull/hook and cut, or;
2)Leave (duck or sway)

By Gambhir doing neither of those things he is extremely susceptible to dismissal, by either getting one to pop up off the handle/gloves or finding himself edging as a result of prodding at the ball away from his body as he tries to defend.

Rahul Dravid – Dravid was bowled, a lot. The Australian's exposed and repeatedly cashed in on a technical glitch in Dravid's defence. If you look at most of his dismissals you will note that when playing the defensive shot Dravid fails to get fully over the front knee when trying to keep balls out, instead he just feels for the ball and places his bat down roughly where he thinks the pad is, which immediately creates a gap between bat and pad. Dravid needed to be fully committed to the defensive stroke, instead he too often circumspectly prodded towards the line of the ball. Maybe this was an indication of a man lacking confidence or form and not trusting his abilities?

Noone can accuse Dravid of being a half hearted cricketer, but his defensive play really gave the impression he was not at ease with his game.

Sachin Tendulkar – Tendulkar was, possibly with the exception of Virat Kohli, the in form Indian batsman of the tour. He was technically at the top of his game, but seemed to struggle with his mental plans whilst batting. Too often he found himself trying to change gears from a comfortable 3 or 4 to 1st gear, or even at times neutral. No finer example of this was Tendulkar's second innings dismissal in Sydney, where he fell prodding to part timer Michael Clarke. Perhaps the weight of expectation of this milestone is playing on his mind and he's being too cautious not to get out, but one thing is for sure, Sachin Tendulkar is playing his best cricket when he is on autopilot and not thinking of the match situation or milestone situation. He's just thinking of batting and batting and batting.

VVS Laxman – The silky Laxman looked as low on confidence as he did on runs. In the one innings he did make an impression on the scorecard (second innings in Sydney) he was undone by his one biggest weakness – top of off stump bowling. Laxman's biggest weakness though, is also his biggest strength. He has the ability to turn balls from off stump effortlessly through mid-wicket, but in doing so it requires a player to slightly close the face of the bat, affording him less surface area to play the ball with. If a bowler is good enough he can find an edge or like Hilfenhaus did, find the top of off stump.

This was not a typical Laxman dismissal for the tour, however, which leaves me scratching my head and wondering what went wrong? Technically speaking he looked no different to what he has in the past. This leaves me thinking that it is either a confidence issue, or worse the onset of old age, which is far more terminal.

From a personal perspective it was difficult to watch my favourite Indian batsmen struggle with his game so much this tour.

Virat Kohli – Definitely the one positive to come from this tour for India. In Perth and Adelaide he looked calm, assured and on top of his game, however in Melbourne and Sydney he looked anything but, which made me seriously question his temperament.

In Melbourne and Sydney he was thrown into the middle of a good spell of bowling, no shame in getting out to that, however he seemed to almost be unwilling to let the bowlers have their time with the knowledge that if he played well enough it would cause the Australian attack to switch their plans, which would play into Virat's hands. Instead he saw it as a personal insult to be tied down and instead attempted to thrash and bash the Australians, unsuccessfully.

This changed in Adelaide and Perth, where he combined his good form with a better mental approach to his innings.

The biggest threat to Virat Kohli is Virat Kohli. He let the Australian's get under his skin when he was approaching a milestone in Perth. Some might have seen it as a brash youngster giving the Aussies some of their own, but in actual fact it was playing into the hands of the Australians. When have you ever seen Tendulkar or Dravid look flustered at the crease as a result of something the opposition has said? If Virat can mature quickly enough, he is in for a good test career.

MS Dhoni – His batting was totally inept and unsuited to any type of conditions which have even a slight hint of movement. Dhoni's biggest flaw in his batting is his bottom handedness. Instead of letting his top hand steer the bat, he tries to force every shot with his bottom mitt.

This is most evident in his dismissals caught in the slips and gully, a plan which the Australian's obviously had and executed well. He places his bat down ready for the drive then lets his bottom hand push at the ball, almost like he's using a shovel instead of a regulation bat. This is essentially the perfect way of giving slips catching practice.

Instead of pushing at the ball he should instead be committing to the stroke and getting his head on top and his bottom hand doing the business.

Ravi Ashwin – Wherever Ashwin goes around the world he will be faced with a multitude of short pitched deliveries. Unlike Gambhir, Ashwin attempts to play the pulls and hooks most of the time. Only problem is that he is horrible at them. Instead of playing with a horizontal bat, he almost plays with a diagonal (at best) bat. Basically looking to overhead smash the delivery. This is basically impossible to control, and is all feel based, and just hoping that when you do connect, it lands safely. I would be suggesting that Ashwin either learns to play the pull shot correctly, or more likely – put it away and learn to duck and dodge.

Zaheer Khan – In a series where runs were golden for India, Zaheer Khan's lack of appetite for the battle with the bat was a disgrace. He simply did not want to be out there. A player who was not the worst lower order player going around was reduced to Chris Martin levels of ineptitude. It wasn't a technique thing, it was a mind set.

Last edited:

benchmark00

3.0 Bowling:

3.1 Overview

Overall, the bowlers biggest shortcomings were their inability to bowl in partnerships. They regularly released pressure, through either poor bowling or poor placement of fields, allowing the batsmen to regularly rotate strike and making the task of building pressure far more difficult.

Either a severe lack of planning went into bowling to the Australians, or the bowlers lacked skill in executing the plans.

3.2 Bowlers Analysis

Zaheer Khan – Khan was the most damaging of the Indian bowlers from go to woe. Lacking match practice played a part in him not being able to bowl longer spells, but he also didn't have much to play with in terms of field placements. Often came on and produced something with the old ball.

Ishant Sharma – The word 'unlucky' is thrown around a lot, and it is not a word that should be thrown around when spoken about Ishant Sharma's test series. It may look as though Sharma was unlucky because he had probably more plays and misses than other bowlers, however he's a victim of his own poor length, opting to try and blunt batsmen's play by pitching it too short instead of preparing to be driven in order to draw the edge through swing or later seam movement.

Although I can't see it happening due to obvious reasons, Sharma would be well served by having a conversation with Peter Siddle, who reaped the benefits of pitching the ball up and letting the ball swing.

Umesh Yadav – Yadav failed to give his captain what he was really crying out for – control. The Nostrils may be sharp through the air, however he needs to learn how to bowl a consistent and telling spell of bowling, building up pressure. That is what bowling in partnerships is all about. Instead of coming on and releasing pressure by dropping in one poor ball an over, Yadav needs to focus on a channel and look get wickets by good bowling, instead of bad shots. He undoubtedly has something about him, however he is useless if he lets the opposition spiral out of control. Mitchell Johnson suffers from the same short comings.

Ravi Ashwin – For mine, Ashwin used his suduku delivery (the ball that goes the other way) too often, blunting it's potency. Undoubtedly the Australian's were aided by Michael Hussey's tips on how to play Ashwin (born from Hussey's time with Ashwin for the Super Kings in the IPL) were beneficial to the team, however Ashwin still needed to hold some of his cards closer to his chest.

Like Zaheer, Ashwin was a victim of bowling to terrible field settings and plans. What baffled me was when Ashwin found himself bowling around the wicket to right handers with a leg slip in place, taking out several of the major modes of dismissals.

benchmark00

4.0 Captaincy/Preparation/Fielding:

4.1 Captaincy

The captaincy of the Indian cricket team was nothing short of terrible. Regularly we saw Dhoni set a deep point to a batsmen not yet established. We saw spin bowlers bowling to a plan of getting the batsman caught in leg slip, instead of the more attacking option of maximising your modes of dismissals.

The over rates cost Dhoni's his spot in the 4th test, but far worse than that he cost his team the chance of competing by setting defensive fields very early on, falling back on the 'hope the opposition will make a mistake' tactic.

4.2 Preparation

From the outside, India seemed to display an utter lack of planning ahead of the tour. They seemingly did not have a single plan to any of the Australian batsmen, instead just looking to go out there and bowl and hope the rewards come.

The biggest difference between the two teams is that you could see what the Australian team were trying to do with every Indian batsman. India on the other hand just decided to deliver the veritable mixed bag and pray something worked.

Outside of the bowling plans, the batsmen also lacked clear mental batting plans. They should have been aware of the plans the Australian's had to them and prepared each test match by addressing the perceived weakness which was trying to be exploited by Australia.

4.3 Fielding

With the exception of Kohli and Gambhir at short leg, the Indian team is not of international standard in the field. The difficult thing is that the only way that can change is a cleaning out of personnel.

I'm of the belief that you pick your side by selecting the best batsmen and bowlers, however if fielding is regularly costing you the same amount a quality bat would contribute each innings, sometimes you have to weigh that up at the selection table.

Last edited:

benchmark00

5.0 Findings, Conclusions & Recommendations

The Indian cricket team suffer a severe breakdown in technique, execution of skills as well as a failure to plan during the test series against Australia.

As a recommendation, I would look at replacing the coach Duncan Fletcher, as he has been negligent in his duties by one of two ways:

1)He has failed to set out adequate plans for bowlers and batsmen against the Australian team, OR;
2)He has failed to motivate the team enough to carry out these plans.

Adding to that, I would develop a succession plan for a player to take over the captaincy from MS Dhoni.

It is important to stress that I would not be looking to replace Dhoni immediately, as over the course of the coming months we should see 1-3 players from the middle order retiring/being stood down, as well as the possibility of Zaheer Khan retiring in the coming couple of seasons. Once this process is complete, or well advanced, I would recommend Virat Kohli as the successor, provided he is playing well and his attitude has developed.

This will allow Kohli the opportunity to shape a new team without having long standing influential players taking away from his captaincy.

The Indian cricket team will be undergoing large personnel changes over the next 12-18 months. It is important due diligence is taken in an attempt to shape a strong and successful future for the Indian cricket team.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Was in here when the thread was first posted. Planned on making an annoying trolololol type post before you had finished (see spikey), and didn't. Way I see it, you owe me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, agree with what I have read so far (which says nothing about how much I've read though)...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Benchy making serious posts? Now I don't believe in nuffin' no more.

Nah, good stuff. Shows that behind the **** facade is a **** who knows his chops.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
1.0 Executive Summary

The Indian cricket team failed to compete in any of the key disciplines of cricket (batting, bowling and fielding). Adding to that, they also exhibited immense shortcomings in planning and captaincy. In the following report, I have outlined the issues which contributed to India suffering such a large defeat.
Ok, I've read the executive summary which was, as the modern day, time poor, cricket fan on the go all I had the energy to follow, particularly for a write up on a rusty ol test series. Got a pretty good grip on things though. Was the rest of it any good?

benchmark00

Ok, I've read the executive summary which was, as the modern day, time poor, cricket fan on the go all I had the energy to follow, particularly for a write up on a rusty ol test series. Got a pretty good grip on things though. Was the rest of it any good?
Would wait for the movie if I were you.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yadav's going to be quite a conundrum for India going forward because there is a fair bit of potential there. However, I just can't see him being a partnership bowler, and helping the bloke down the other end. There's going to be times where he's a massive liability, and the way that India go about things at their best with the ball is when they are reliable and build pressure (see, spinners at home plus Zaheer).