• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no Great Britain cricket team ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Why do England and Scotland have separate cricket teams ?

Don't they along with Wales make up the country Great Britain ?
Surely a Great Britain cricket team (combining the cream of English, Welsh and Scottsh) talent would be a force to be reckoned with .....:D

It's not just cricket ... soccer and rugby too.

Surely the British Isles would have better chances of winning the rugby world cup if they fielded a British Lions team rather than
England, Scotland and Wales ?

And a Great Britain soccer team would be able to solve England's left midfield problem with the inclusion of Ryan Giggs.

PY

International Coach
Can't think of a player who isn't available already who would make it into the England team currently?

;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well considering the British Lions really only pick players out side of England because they have to..I think it would apply the same in cricket.

None of the Scottish players would make a British team in cricket & maybe a handful of Welsh players might.
I just don't see enough talent in Scotland, Wales & Ireland to consider a British Lions cricket team.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
gb

aren't Simon Jones and robert croft welsh ?

Yet when they were included in England, the team was still called England..

I'm not picking nits, I just find it a little strange that the home nations play as separate countries...

Um Tim...I'm pretty sure some of the Welsh rugby players would make a Great Britain lions rugby side e.g Shane Williams

Likewise with Soccer, Craig Bellamy and Ryan Giggs would easily make a Britain side.
As for Scotland, i'm sure with increased exposure for their cricket side, some of them will develop into very good players.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1) The ECB is actually the England and Wales Cricket Board.

2) Football and rugby wise, you have more chance of running around Drumcree wearing Orange and singing God Save the Queen without having your head blown off and entrails smeared around the sewers than of getting Scotland, Wales and Ireland to relinquish their independent sides.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: gb

jamesryfler said:
aren't Simon Jones and robert croft welsh ?

Yet when they were included in England, the team was still called England..
So is Gerient Jones, Matthew Maynard etc.

If you look into the history of their surnames, you find out that Michael Vaughan has an Irish surname (whether or not he has family from there I dont know).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
2) Football and rugby wise, you have more chance of running around Drumcree wearing Orange and singing God Save the Queen without having your head blown off and entrails smeared around the sewers than of getting Scotland, Wales and Ireland to relinquish their independent sides.
Apart from that Neil, with 4 sides, there's 4 votes on FIFA's grand 8 man committee.

As GB it's 1 of 8...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: gb

jamesryfler said:
Likewise with Soccer, Craig Bellamy and Ryan Giggs would easily make a Britain side.
Giggs maybe (depending on the formation adopted for the rest of the side.

Bellamy has about as much chance as I have.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Re: Re: gb

Craig said:
So is Gerient Jones, Matthew Maynard etc.

If you look into the history of their surnames, you find out that Michael Vaughan has an Irish surname (whether or not he has family from there I dont know).
Geraint Jones is from PNG with Welsh parents.

Most Aussies have English surnames... :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Apart from that Neil, with 4 sides, there's 4 votes on FIFA's grand 8 man committee.

As GB it's 1 of 8...
A little more background:

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) makes all the major rule decisions according the the rules of the sport. The make-up of the body is pretty much unchanged since its inception (c.1910 when FIFA were delighted to have the home nations) and it stands at:

England (1 vote)
Northern Ireland (1)
Scotland (1)
Wales (1)
FIFA (4)

Kimbo

International Debutant
Kind of related- I would like to see a pacific islands cricket team maybe... or rugby team. I think they should band together- like the west indies.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
There isn't enough talent in Scotland & Wales to justify a British team. If there was a British team, all cricketers would be from England.

Also there is the traditional factor with an English team playing cricket for over 100 years, nothing would convince the ECB to part with tradition and field an British team.

iamdavid

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
It'd be nice to be able to pick Rahul McDravid
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Off the top of my head Dougie Brown was Scottish & he played ODI's for Englnad , Gavin Hamilton also played for Scotland in the world cup & he's played a test.

Im a huge fan of Hamilton , he just seems to have lost it these last 2 seasons though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England might be called England but it is, of course, England and Wales because they play under The England And Wales Cricket Board.
Scotland have their own team in the National League and any decent Scottish player (Ali and Dougie Brown, Gavin Hamilton) will inevitably get their chances in an English county.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Any decent Scottish player (Ali and Dougie Brown, Gavin Hamilton) will inevitably get their chances in an English county.
I was under the impression that Beckenham was in Kent rather than Scotland...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah its an issue which has always annoyed me...

Why should the United Kingdom get split up?? Pretty much every other country in the world has sports teams competing under that countries name and flag...

Im sure a lot of Australians would get annoyed if Australia ceased to play test cricket and instead Tasmania and WA all tried to win the ashes...