• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no Great Britain cricket team ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
I think I'm right in saying that you would need a passport to travel between Eire and N.I. but not between mainland UK and NI? Might be wrong with that.

Correct.

You are wrong with that.

You do not require a passport to travel between the UK and the Republic of Ireland - although you will require photographic proof of identity - normally only available on passports, driving licences, BTBA Gold Cards (British Tenpin Bowling Association international clearance:D ) etc.

I found this out when I arrived at the airport a couple of years ago (post-911) and realised that I had left my passport in my other jacket at home and the only ID I had was my BTBA card. No problem.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is no Great Britain team for any major sport now because it would go against so many years of tradition and no one would want it. From an outsiders point of view maybe it looks sensible but I can't imagine anyone inside the UK wanting it to happen.

As far as cricket is concerned, Scotland could barely muster a professional side and I hardly think Wales would be competitive on an international scale.

As for football again we don't want them(them being Wales,Scotland etc)!!We'd gain one player for the left wing and hes getting on now. As for Bellamy,well people talk about Heskey having a goal scoring problem but hes got even less!

And PY I don't think those comments were entirely justified, especially from an egg-chaser.

PY

International Coach
Swanny said:
And PY I don't think those comments were entirely justified, especially from an egg-chaser.
I was referring to most professional football players are over-paid, moan too much and should get on with enjoying the fact they are paid to do something I'd love to do but am not good enough. :(

In fact, it's probably just jealousy :D. I'm an occasional egg-chaser but as you well know, I'm much more of a footy man.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Because, as I said, as far as I'm aware both his parents are Scottish.
My mum's classed as American even though she was born in Wales, but she's very much English. My dad was born in England. I'm an Anglo-American dual national. My parents' nationality has very little to do with mine, I'm American because I was born over there, English because my dad is, but I'm classed more as an American because my passport is an American passport, the English part comes from the fact both my parents are either fully or part English and I've lived here most of my life. Ali Brown might be part Scottish but he was born in England and is classed as English.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far as I'm aware I'm three-quarters Welsh and one-quarter English. I was born in Wales; God knows how many nationalities my forefathers and mothers consisted of. For all I know I might have had a Guinean or Kiwi great-great-great-great-great-grandad.
The problem with EU-passport players has partly stemmed from obscure parents and grandparents; point taken. Birthplace can be either all that matters or completely irrelevant.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Because, as I said, as far as I'm aware both his parents are Scottish.
Well one half of my family is Australian, but I have never even considered such a prospect.

Swanny

School Boy/Girl Captain
PY said:
I was referring to most professional football players are over-paid, moan too much and should get on with enjoying the fact they are paid to do something I'd love to do but am not good enough. :(

In fact, it's probably just jealousy :D. I'm an occasional egg-chaser but as you well know, I'm much more of a footy man.

Well maybe you have a point about the first bit. Basic demand and supply im afraid,although my Everton supporting flat mate recently told me David Unsworth is on £30k a week!!I think most of them are probably alright, just the minority who are idiots, but that probably applys to alot of society id guess.
As for the second bit, well footy-man might be stretching it, i've seen you play remember!!(note this is a joke so there is no need for any abusive replys)