• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did "All Time Great" fast bowlers practice or prepare themselves before a Test

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
How did "All Time Great" fast bowlers practice or prepare themselves before a Test

I'm keen to know, what did the great Windies quartet of 80's, Lillee/Thompson , Imran Khan/Wasim Akram did to bowl fast consistently?

Did they regularly hit the gym and worked on their muscles, or they used simple conventional methods like running around the ground?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm keen to know, what did the great Windies quartet of 80's, Lillee/Thompson , Imran Khan/Wasim Akram did to bowl fast consistently?

Did they regularly hit the gym and worked on their muscles, or they used simple conventional methods like running around the ground?
In the MCC Spirit of Cricket Panel in 2010, there was a very good discussion between Imran Khan, Jeff Thomson, Graham Onions and Steve Finn about preparing as a fast bowler, weight training, gym etc. Its on youtube. Check it out if you are interested.

Teja.

Global Moderator
When asked this, S Sreesanth said in an interview with a newspaper that he listened to Eminem's My Name Is immediately prior to each time he entered the field.

smash84

The Tiger King

Did they regularly hit the gym and worked on their muscles, or they used simple conventional methods like running around the ground?[/QUOTE]

a combination of both.......but they didn't focus on building biceps though

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall for one always work ankle weights when not on the fileld to strenhen his leg muscles. He always said your strength comes from your legs

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'll all have their own ways which they claim are better than the other but really, those methods worked for them because they were good ****ing bowlers. They could've used any other method and they'd still be good. I highly doubt Imran Khan running 5km in the gym daily compared to on the ground would've had some significant impact on his bowling, despite him claiming running on the grass in the fresh air is the best etc etc (made up example obv).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was Lillee who really set the tone for a regime of strength and injury management wasn't it?

Thommo chased wild pigs and tackled them ahead of 74-75 to get his fitness up. There's videos on YouTube of him doing it.

In Fire in Babylon, Colin Croft attributed the Windies strength and fitness to Kerry Packer employing Dennis Waight as physio to the team in WSC when he was annoyed they were displaying a **** attitude.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If his biography's accurate Larwood & his Notts mucker Voce warmed up their bowling arms by lifting pints of alcoholic liquid to their lips repeatedly.