• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iain O'Brien Retires

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
O'Brien Retires

Shed a tear. I didn't find out this news sifting through his dustbins, unfortunately.

I guess in good news, the shert of his that I got from his last game for Wellington will remain the shert from his last game for Wellington.

:wub:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seems a really decent bloke and became a really decent bowler too.

Good luck to him

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate that whipped rubbish. His wife went home because she was home sick, O'Brien would have been the same if he didn't follow. Life is sometimes bigger than cricket. I saw the press conference where he retired from Tests, try and tell me that was a man making an easy decision to follow a woman. Something he'd strived so hard to get to, and had served his country so well in, and suddenly he had to walk away at his peak.

A lesser man would've achieved a lot less than Iain O'Brien. Certainly had talent but was tenacious and worked his arse off to put up the figures and get the accolades he did, all with well documented mental issues. And is still living with those, yet continues to carve out a living in the game.

I'm certainly a big fan.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WAG. A very decent Test record - even better if you take out his dreadful debut series that made him one of the most hated players by NZ fans on here (myself included, I won't lie).

The fact that he was able to win us all over later in his career with his on- and off-field awesomeness shows just how good a player and bloke he's been.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I hate that whipped rubbish. His wife went home because she was home sick, O'Brien would have been the same if he didn't follow. Life is sometimes bigger than cricket. I saw the press conference where he retired from Tests, try and tell me that was a man making an easy decision to follow a woman. Something he'd strived so hard to get to, and had served his country so well in, and suddenly he had to walk away at his peak.

A lesser man would've achieved a lot less than Iain O'Brien. Certainly had talent but was tenacious and worked his arse off to put up the figures and get the accolades he did, all with well documented mental issues. And is still living with those, yet continues to carve out a living in the game.

I'm certainly a big fan.
Super post and I agree with it all.