Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which batsmen today or in 1990's you would expect to play the 1980's bowling easily?

Cricket Spectator

Which batsmen today or in 1990's you would expect to play the 1980's bowling easily?

I'm wondering, whether who among today would have played Marshall/Lillee/Imran Khan at their prime with ease?

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Ponting for mine. Comfortably the best player of pace bowling since Viv.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Eds
    Wouldn't expect anyone, ever (apart from possibly the Don), to play the likes of Marshall with ease.
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Won't be easy but the usual suspects will play 'em best imo. Ponting, SRT, Lara, Dravid, Kallis, Sanga, Inzamam, de Silva etc.

Inzamam most likely among the above to be successful at it consistently imo.
    This was a serious post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    As for Sharma, sorry but he's the only Indian bowler outside of Khan who has consistently managed to take wickets away from home and trouble good batsman. Shami looks highly promising but India don't have better seam options than Sharma at the moment in test cricket. Quite simple.
    RIP Craigos. Owe you a beer.:(

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2186298-post7381.html

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    From the current lot, Trott, Kallis, AB, Clarke, Amla, Younis, Misbah, Cook, SRT, Ponting, Dravid, Bell, Bravo, Taylor, Hussey, Sanga and KP.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

A whole heap of high class pace bowling
    Minus a whole heap of quality spin
    =
    RA Smith

For once agree with Ikki, Ponting, Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis and Dravid in that order, the only incident that vies me pause on Ponting is that series when Ishant gave him no end of trouble and Sharma is no Marshall.
    None of them would be able to play most of them with ease and none would be totally dominat, and to play that sort of fast bowling you have to be agressive or your finished.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Any of the very good to great players, because they adapt. That's part of being great. If they'd grown up in a different era on different surfaces, they may well have played differently, but they'd find a way, and still be very fine players imo
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Any of the very good to great players, because they adapt. That's part of being great. If they'd grown up in a different era on different surfaces, they may well have played differently, but they'd find a way, and still be very fine players imo
    This is the key IMO.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Hayden would slay the West Indies bowlers and Imran, tbh.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    ha! thats easy...Afridi!
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

The fast bowlers of 90s were about as good as those in 80s. So fair to say that those who succeeded in 90s would've succeeded in 80s too.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Hayden would slay the West Indies bowlers and Imran, tbh.
    Considering that Ambrose wiped the floor with Hayden I doubt Hayden would have done anything but roll over for the WI quicks and Imran
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Ponting for mine. Comfortably the best player of pace bowling since Viv.
    Comfortably the best? Won't argue that he's the best as I reckon he probably is the best player of pace bowling I've seen, but just not sure he's comfortably better than Sachin or Lara against pace. I know I'm being pedantic but hey.

In response to the question, no batsman of the last 20 years would face Marshall and Lillee and play them "easily". Some will succeed, but they won't play them easily.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Ponting for mine.
    ponting should be the first name. with inzy a close second. the usual suspects, tendulkar, lara, dravid, sangakara all can follow.

i would have loved to see gilchrist taking on the windies pace battery in full flow though. a few flying sixers over third man and back ward point peppered by broken ribs crashed helmet grills would have turned test cricket into a gladiatorial sport.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information