Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which batsmen today or in 1990's you would expect to play the 1980's bowling easily?

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Which batsman isnt vulnerable to inswing at high pace, Donald, Anderson and Pollock were all over Tendulkar. Dravid is vulnerable to the straight ball hitting any stump.
    Watch Dravid's 148 at Headingley in 2002 and Sachin's 169 in Cape Town. Some KILLER inswingers were being bowled and that too at great pace! Both top notch knocks.

The thing with Punter is, he shuffles too much across the off-stump which invites the danger of getting lbw by an offie or a fast inswinger.

didn't he struggle vs Pakistan in 99 I know he got 187 in the last innings but before that he had 3 ducks.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    didn't he struggle vs Pakistan in 99 I know he got 187 in the last innings but before that he had 3 ducks.
    That's my point. There is nothing wrong in Punter's technique, he's PURELY ORTHODOX.

But his approach to in coming deliveries is a bit strange, why does he shuffle so much is still a mystery to me.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    He debuted in the mid-90s. That attack was nowhere near the quality that this thread title was posing.
    The WIndies attack in the 90s were on par with any attack in the last 3 decades apart from the WIndies quartet in the 80s. No pace attack was as good as that attack. I understood the question to be more along the lines of: who would have been the best against the best pace bowlers of the 80s. Otherwise, besides those that actually faced that attack, no one faced any attack similar to that from the 90s afterwards. Which makes the question rather nonsensical.

Also re Ponting's weakness: I think he did have a technical flaw - he's not as textbook-clean as a Tendulkar, for instance - but he was simply too good for it to stop him scoring runs consistently. Again, a little up or down, a little late, and it was gone for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBall View Post
    Ponting was top batsman against the short ball but vulnerable to inswing at a high pace.

Even in the recent series, he smashed Ishant and Zaheer but looked shaky against Yadav.

Who can forget tha big inswinger with which Yadav sent Punter's off stump cartwheeling at Perth?
    I think one must understand that Ponting was a bit tentative at times, as he gained confidence in his innings. Otherwise, I am not sure how one delivery in Perth comes to overshadow the fact that he shellacked this attack in general - Yadav included.
    Last edited by Ikki; 31-01-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    ★★★★★

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Did well enough in 1996 and 1999 vs West Indies, first series only got two Tests but made a fine 88 in the first one at the Gabba, and then averaged 50 in "Lara's series".

I remember that 88 in his first innings against the WI's, he came to the wicket at 1/4 and attacked from the get go against Ambrose and Walsh. Taylor didnt score one boundry before lunch but Ponting was even hitting a six. Its amazing how underestimated that innings is, probably on of the best you could hope to see.
    If you nick it walk

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBall View Post
    Watch Dravid's 148 at Headingley in 2002 and Sachin's 169 in Cape Town. Some KILLER inswingers were being bowled and that too at great pace! Both top notch knocks.

And Ponting has had his fair share of big innings against inswingers, His 105 against SA Melb 97 and 197 in Perth 99. I could go on but I dont think its nessecary.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I remember that 88 in his first innings against the WI's, he came to the wicket at 1/4 and attacked from the get go against Ambrose and Walsh. Taylor didnt score one boundry before lunch but Ponting was even hitting a six. Its amazing how underestimated that innings is, probably on of the best you could hope to see.
    One thing about Walsh though, Holding was recently interviewed and made the point that Courtney couldn't break into their bowling line-up when the great ones were around. Ambrose and Walsh doesn't not equate with Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    One thing about Walsh though, Holding was recently interviewed and made the point that Courtney couldn't break into their bowling line-up when the great ones were around. Ambrose and Walsh doesn't not equate with Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.
    Walsh debuted in 84-85 ffs.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

TNT
    U19 Debutant
    Different generations, Roberts is 11 years older than Walsh, Garner 10 years and Holding 9 years, of course he wouldent have broken into the line up as a 15 year old kid.

Kallis, Dravid, Tendulkar and Ponting never faced Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.

Ponting in his pomp would have matched them, no doubt. That pull shot. Think Mark Waugh would have done nicely on his day too.
    'It is hard to recall a batsman quite so serene, so unrushed, so unflappable.' Chris Ryan on ... look to the left. Ahhhh.

inzamam

never saw bounce and aggression really trouble him

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    inzamam

never saw bounce and aggression really trouble him
    Yup. What a champ he was!!! Those lazy pulls would hit the fence like thunderbolts. I also love sachin's game against express fast bowlers. Always enjoyed his battles against 90+ mph pacers like donald, steyn, akhthar, lee and waqar. The heavy bottom hand guiding the balls between fielders with surgical precision is a sight for gods.

International Vice-Captain andruid's Avatar
    Sometimes I'm online, Sometimes I'm offline
    There's nothing in this thread's title that specifies which 1980s bowling attack we are talking about so I'll venture to say Ryan ten Doeschate would have plundered a few tons against Zimbabwe's World Cup teams
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    All these Broad fans are no doubt Kohli fans too. Fans of tosspot wankers.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Yup. What a champ he was!!! Those lazy pulls would hit the fence like thunderbolts. I also love sachin's game against express fast bowlers. Always enjoyed his battles against 90+ mph pacers like donald, steyn, akhthar, lee and waqar. The heavy bottom hand guiding the balls between fielders with surgical precision is a sight for gods.
    I'm agnostic.

**** you must be bored today Burgey.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information