• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which batsmen today or in 1990's you would expect to play the 1980's bowling easily?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For pace-play, I'd keep Tendullkar>Ponting=Dravid=Waugh=Kallis>Lara. However, Ponting 'at his best' was better against pace than Tendulkar 'at his best'.

Against spin, Lara>Tendulkar>>Waugh=Dravid=Kallis>Ponting IMO..

Last edited:

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
I think it's a shame that the likes of Waqar, Ambrose, Donald et al retired for the period where Ponting was in his absolute peak. Because even when he was green he played them exceptionally well. There would have been fantastic battles. Lara definitely had trouble against the best pace bowlers of his time, Tendulkar was a bit of a mixed bag; but I hold Ponting above them. They had him on spin though.

I just think he made the margins for fast bowlers so small. Depending on the length he'd get forward and drive you or quickly get on the back foot and pull you. He made it look ridiculously easy and simple. From what I remember from FC cricket he even made McGrath his bitch.

No, I am fairly sure he played them when they were at their peak or still very very good. Averaged 40. Was also very good against the other two great pace sides in Pak and SA.
Ponting was top batsman against the short ball but vulnerable to inswing at a high pace.

Even in the recent series, he smashed Ishant and Zaheer but looked shaky against Yadav.

Who can forget tha big inswinger with which Yadav sent Punter's off stump cartwheeling at Perth?

TNT

Banned
Ponting was top batsman against the short ball but vulnerable to inswing at a high pace.

Even in the recent series, he smashed Ishant and Zaheer but looked shaky against Yadav.

Who can forget tha big inswinger with which Yadav sent Punter's off stump cartwheeling at Perth?
Which batsman isnt vulnerable to inswing at high pace, Donald, Anderson and Pollock were all over Tendulkar. Dravid is vulnerable to the straight ball hitting any stump.

Briony

International Debutant
I think it's a shame that the likes of Waqar, Ambrose, Donald et al retired for the period where Ponting was in his absolute peak. Because even when he was green he played them exceptionally well. There would have been fantastic battles. Lara definitely had trouble against the best pace bowlers of his time, Tendulkar was a bit of a mixed bag; but I hold Ponting above them. They had him on spin though.

I just think he made the margins for fast bowlers so small. Depending on the length he'd get forward and drive you or quickly get on the back foot and pull you. He made it look ridiculously easy and simple. From what I remember from FC cricket he even made McGrath his bitch.

No, I am fairly sure he played them when they were at their peak or still very very good. Averaged 40. Was also very good against the other two great pace sides in Pak and SA.
He debuted in the mid-90s. That attack was nowhere near the quality that this thread title was posing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not so sure about that, during his first incarnation when the great Windies quicks were still good but a fading force, he struggled mightily and was promptly moved down the order because of this. Have always thought that more bowlers like that during his golden period in the early noughties might have sorted him out. He's a great but goes hard early and has had technical issues but for a long time there seemed to be a dearth of great bowlers allied with a plethora of flat tracks.

Kallis and Tendulkar would be technically equipped to deal with them pretty well you'd think.
Did well enough in 1996 and 1999 vs West Indies, first series only got two Tests but made a fine 88 in the first one at the Gabba, and then averaged 50 in "Lara's series".

I tell you who else used to fall a tad across their stumps and work the ball through wide mid-on from off, was Greg Chappell. And he did alright against those attacks, from memory. :whistling:

In fact, Ponting technically looks more like the batsmen from yesteryear than your Kallis' and others.

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
Which batsman isnt vulnerable to inswing at high pace, Donald, Anderson and Pollock were all over Tendulkar. Dravid is vulnerable to the straight ball hitting any stump.
Watch Dravid's 148 at Headingley in 2002 and Sachin's 169 in Cape Town. Some KILLER inswingers were being bowled and that too at great pace! Both top notch knocks.

The thing with Punter is, he shuffles too much across the off-stump which invites the danger of getting lbw by an offie or a fast inswinger.

Xuhaib

International Coach
didn't he struggle vs Pakistan in 99 I know he got 187 in the last innings but before that he had 3 ducks.

HeavyBall

Cricket Spectator
didn't he struggle vs Pakistan in 99 I know he got 187 in the last innings but before that he had 3 ducks.
That's my point. There is nothing wrong in Punter's technique, he's PURELY ORTHODOX.

But his approach to in coming deliveries is a bit strange, why does he shuffle so much is still a mystery to me.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He debuted in the mid-90s. That attack was nowhere near the quality that this thread title was posing.
The WIndies attack in the 90s were on par with any attack in the last 3 decades apart from the WIndies quartet in the 80s. No pace attack was as good as that attack. I understood the question to be more along the lines of: who would have been the best against the best pace bowlers of the 80s. Otherwise, besides those that actually faced that attack, no one faced any attack similar to that from the 90s afterwards. Which makes the question rather nonsensical.

Also re Ponting's weakness: I think he did have a technical flaw - he's not as textbook-clean as a Tendulkar, for instance - but he was simply too good for it to stop him scoring runs consistently. Again, a little up or down, a little late, and it was gone for 4.

I think one must understand that Ponting was a bit tentative at times, as he gained confidence in his innings. Otherwise, I am not sure how one delivery in Perth comes to overshadow the fact that he shellacked this attack in general - Yadav included.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned
Did well enough in 1996 and 1999 vs West Indies, first series only got two Tests but made a fine 88 in the first one at the Gabba, and then averaged 50 in "Lara's series".

I remember that 88 in his first innings against the WI's, he came to the wicket at 1/4 and attacked from the get go against Ambrose and Walsh. Taylor didnt score one boundry before lunch but Ponting was even hitting a six. Its amazing how underestimated that innings is, probably on of the best you could hope to see.

TNT

Banned
Watch Dravid's 148 at Headingley in 2002 and Sachin's 169 in Cape Town. Some KILLER inswingers were being bowled and that too at great pace! Both top notch knocks.

And Ponting has had his fair share of big innings against inswingers, His 105 against SA Melb 97 and 197 in Perth 99. I could go on but I dont think its nessecary.

Briony

International Debutant
I remember that 88 in his first innings against the WI's, he came to the wicket at 1/4 and attacked from the get go against Ambrose and Walsh. Taylor didnt score one boundry before lunch but Ponting was even hitting a six. Its amazing how underestimated that innings is, probably on of the best you could hope to see.
One thing about Walsh though, Holding was recently interviewed and made the point that Courtney couldn't break into their bowling line-up when the great ones were around. Ambrose and Walsh doesn't not equate with Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing about Walsh though, Holding was recently interviewed and made the point that Courtney couldn't break into their bowling line-up when the great ones were around. Ambrose and Walsh doesn't not equate with Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.
Walsh debuted in 84-85 ffs.

TNT

Banned
Different generations, Roberts is 11 years older than Walsh, Garner 10 years and Holding 9 years, of course he wouldent have broken into the line up as a 15 year old kid.

Kallis, Dravid, Tendulkar and Ponting never faced Holding, Roberts, Garner, Croft and Marshall.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Ponting in his pomp would have matched them, no doubt. That pull shot. Think Mark Waugh would have done nicely on his day too.

bagapath

International Captain
inzamam

never saw bounce and aggression really trouble him
Yup. What a champ he was!!! Those lazy pulls would hit the fence like thunderbolts. I also love sachin's game against express fast bowlers. Always enjoyed his battles against 90+ mph pacers like donald, steyn, akhthar, lee and waqar. The heavy bottom hand guiding the balls between fielders with surgical precision is a sight for gods.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
There's nothing in this thread's title that specifies which 1980s bowling attack we are talking about so I'll venture to say Ryan ten Doeschate would have plundered a few tons against Zimbabwe's World Cup teams

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup. What a champ he was!!! Those lazy pulls would hit the fence like thunderbolts. I also love sachin's game against express fast bowlers. Always enjoyed his battles against 90+ mph pacers like donald, steyn, akhthar, lee and waqar. The heavy bottom hand guiding the balls between fielders with surgical precision is a sight for gods.
I'm agnostic.