Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The English disease

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

The English disease

No, I don't mean sodomy, beating children, binge drinking, football hooliganism, crap teeth or questionable personal hygeine, rather the real English disease: an inability to sustain excellence of performance.

Twice now in the last decade England have been up and around the top spot in tests (in 2005 when we defeated the ATG Australian line-up of McWarne & Co and last year after whitewashing India to catually move to #1), but once the side reaches this level it seemingly gets a bad case of vertigo and things head south rapidly.

Why is this?

After the 2005 Ashes when Fletcher's England established themselves as the clear #2 test side one can point to a few mitgating factors as to why the side didn't kick on: never again would the awesome foursome seam attack of Flintoff, Harmison, Jones & Hoggard play together again, Vaughan's knee would mean he missed as many tests as he played thereafter, Trescothick's depressive illness would soon come to the fore & the lack of a quality spin option could only be papered over for so long.

This time things are perhaps harder to explain: we have a settled and capable (at least on paper) top seven, two decent spin options, at least half a dozen serious seam options to perm two or three from & arguably the best lower order we've ever fielded.

Ultimately tho the same result to follow the greatest triumph: an away defeat against a Pakistan side the tourists were strongly fancied to beat.

Can't just be co-incidence can it? Is there something in the English sporting psyche that means years of sustained success can never be grasped. As Dr Cameron Burge, emeritus professor of the Peter Stirling chair for Australianism at the Parramatta Institute would have it:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof Burge View Post
    there's been one "dynasty" since WW2 - England in the 50s (no coincidence the era regarded as the most tedious in test history).
    So it's not just a recent phenomenon. & one can point to examples from other sports too: our football and rugby union sides both failed to capitalise on world cup wins in 1966 & 2003 respectively. Why can't the English keep winning?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    To be fair we have been beaten by a decent team after a long unbeaten run so we can't complain too much. Sould we lose in Sri Lanka then I will start to worry, or if we fail to win in either home series this summer.

Lets face it we all knew the series in Asia were going to be the toughest this side would face and deep down I thought if we won, drew and lost 1 of each of the 3 series this year that wouldn't be a bad effort. That can still happen so no need to press the panic button just yet. Also it is worth noting that the side we have lost to clearly has the best attack of the 3 sides we will face abroad in 2012.

Come back in a years time and examine the results we have had in 2012 and we know an awful lot more about this England side.

Should the bowling start to fall apart then it's time to raise alarm bells. Until then, this is probably premature.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Sterling.

And parra sucks ftr
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

I wonder if you're reading too much into this tbh. Isn't struggling to win in the sub-continent (UAE is close enough) against decent opposition the common denominator here?

Was the series Aus lost in Pakistan (very close, Healy missed a stumping to win the game, from memory) very soon after we conquered the Windies?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Or in other words, "why hasn't English sport lived up to the unreasonably high expectations of English sports fans?"
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Or in other words, "why hasn't English sport lived up to the unreasonably high expectations of English sports fans?"
    Nah, not having that. I don't think beating an inferior (on paper and in most people's estimations) side is an unreasonable expectation. How many of the Pakistan side would make England's XI? Younis, Ajmal & maybe Misbah if he opened and captained.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Was the series Aus lost in Pakistan (very close, Healy missed a stumping to win the game, from memory) very soon after we conquered the Windies?
    If that was the series where Salim Malik tried to bribe Warne, then I'm 99% certain it was at least a year before the victory in the West Indies.

In these conditions? Misbah, Younis, Ajmal all locks.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Yes they're not unreasonably high expectations at all, it's not the fans that say we're the best Test team in the world, it's the ICC rankings. With being ranked best team in the world comes inevitable expectation to succeed, that's not unreasonable that's absolutely natural.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    In these conditions? Misbah, Younis, Ajmal all locks.
    Probably Hafeez too, to balance the side if nothing else.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Fmd I've been saying the same things about England since September 2006 and every time I do you ****s say I'm trolling.

Now you want to have a serious discussion about it.

I feel simultaneously vindicated and violated*

* and slightly aroused.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Certainly he'd walk into the side ahead of Strauss in these conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah not sure how I missed him.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information