• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The English disease

Ruckus

International Captain
Personally think this Saffa team will become number 1 and their position won't oscillate as much as it has for England and India. Won't be like the Australia of old, but I think they'll get closer to the status of 'dominating' that the other teams have failed to do.

uvelocity

International Coach
I reckon smith and kallis won't hang around that long. petersen isn't amazing and nor is their spinner. They are the best right now, but can't see anything resembling a dynasty materialising.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Personally think this Saffa team will become number 1 and their position won't oscillate as much as it has for England and India. Won't be like the Australia of old, but I think they'll get closer to the status of 'dominating' that the other teams have failed to do.
What evidence from their recent results makes you say that though? If they were as good as people like to make out they'd have been number 1 for for a long time to date.

Jacknife

International Captain
Definitely. India were, and England now, are still a deserved number 1 team (and if SA become number 1, same with them too). But that doesn't mean they were much superior when they were ranked number 1, they just had a period of playing very very well and beating (or not losing) to teams for a while. When they've been number 1 they've dropped games to good teams, and also just snuck over the line or just prevented a loss as well.

It was stressed on this forum ad nauseam that they weren't dominant teams. Nothing has changed.
Agree, most fans hoped we could sustain our run of form but it was always on the cards that if batsmen lost touch or the bowers had a dip, they would come to the pack. Like you say we thoroughly deserved to get to the top, we played some blinding cricket in that journey and I reckon they have it in them to get back there if they DO lose it.

Even now the No.1 spot is gong to be about where teams are playing and who's playing who. For how well SA played at the Oval they have the same faults as a few of the top sides which is inconsistency.

smash84

The Tiger King
Two good series against Aus (away) and India (home) give the English fans a false sense of security that they are much ahead of the pack but the happenings of the last 6-8 months shows it clearly not the case. I do find the current period fascinating for test cricket where there are atleast 6 teams ranging from good to reasonable with no one side clearly being far ahead of the pack and the teams fortunes keep on changing due to form, fitness or conditions.
awta

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What evidence from their recent results makes you say that though? If they were as good as people like to make out they'd have been number 1 for for a long time to date.
I think it'd be fair to argue that it's more likely to see South Africa improving their home record than India and England improving their away record.