• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Illegal Streamers: Giles Clarke is Watching YOU!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What a crock of ****.

That is the biggest danger to cricket, because they take money out of the game without commercial benefit to us.
lndeed. Poor you. More people watching the sport than ever before is clearly a disaster unless it somehow lines your pockets.

Flem274*

123/5
It's very telling he considers this is a greater threat than the many uncertainties surrounding the game today.

It also goes against all this talk of expanding the game. If you want to make yourr sport truly global, it has to be accessible. Many people can't afford a subscription to a pay TV channel or travel and ticket costs to test match venues.

Australia know the future, and streaming their domestic cricket online is a great start.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Remarkable that things like match fixing wouldn't register higher on his list of concerns.

Doctor

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now I feel bad about streaming. Essentially, I'm stealing tens of dollars from those multimillionaires. You know what, **** it, I should just be thrown in jail. That's not even far enough, I should have an even harsher punishment than the Pakistani trio.

Last edited:

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
Being in the US now, I actually just had another look at Willow Cricket. I'd seen them around before and thought their prices were expensive, because I saw the price tag of $30 on various events and thought that was the price for the event. But I finally had a closer look and found out that $30 got you the entire Big Bash League, India's tour of Australia, Zimbabwe's tour of New Zealand, the ODI tri series, and even more. I kicked myself for not having bought that way back when they even showed New Zealand in Zimbabwe, and figured that $30 is a great deal even though I've missed half of what it originally included.

More broadcasters should do this, in my opinion. I don't pay for subscription TV because the stuff I would mostly watch is on premium channels, which on top of a base package, would end up costing me like $120 a month. To hell with that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a particularly stupid rant from Clarke because the majority of stream watchers do it in circumstances when they can't actually watch the cricket they're choosing to in their country at all. They don't do it to avoid getting Pay TV.

Furthermore, given the poor quality, reliability, accessibility etc of streams, I highly doubt many people who could afford Pay TV who were considering getting it for cricket purposes would think "nah, I'll just stream it online". I don't think the idea of these streams taking money out of the game that would actually manifest itself if these streams didn't exist is in any way based in reality.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Willow engages in all kinds of dirty tactics to arm twist customers into buying their packages. They subpoena IPs of users accessing streams and sends a legal notice which asks them to either pay for a $14 a month service or face legal action. Most users pay up to avoid the hassle

Shri

Mr. Glass
And also does paid cricket streaming on the internet even exist atm? I don't think so. Now if such an option was available and people still used pirate streaming then it could be said it is a loss of revenue, but not in its current state. So in conclusion Clarke is a stupid piece of ****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Remarkable that things like match fixing wouldn't register higher on his list of concerns.
So so true, and dwindling attendances.

Honestly it wasn't even worth mentioning this publicly. So **** from Clarke.