• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Illegal Streamers: Giles Clarke is Watching YOU!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok so here's the thing:

TV networks (by association) are whinging about illegal streams. How do TV networks function? By advertising $$$$$$$.

How do you increase the value of your sponsorship package? Project your brand to a larger audience.

Currently the pay tv companies are having a cry because they're not getting subscription money from the consumers, that's all well and good, but these pay tv companies should change their business model and start marketing their advertising packages with the focus of how many people will actually get exposed to the brand in actual terms, not just tv ratings.

TV networks, of the non pay variety, aren't happy because watching it online hurts their ratings, which is what they use to market their advertising space to potential clients.

All that needs to happen is for the networks to market their advertising better to potential advertisers. This should be value adding, not detrimental.

Uppercut

What a crock of ****.

lndeed. Poor you. More people watching the sport than ever before is clearly a disaster unless it somehow lines your pockets.
Yeah he's such a massive wanker. "The biggest danger to cricket", **** off.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's a particularly stupid rant from Clarke because the majority of stream watchers do it in circumstances when they can't actually watch the cricket they're choosing to in their country at all. They don't do it to avoid getting Pay TV.

Furthermore, given the poor quality, reliability, accessibility etc of streams, I highly doubt many people who could afford Pay TV who were considering getting it for cricket purposes would think "nah, I'll just stream it online". I don't think the idea of these streams taking money out of the game that would actually manifest itself if these streams didn't exist is in any way based in reality.
Eggsactly. I actually tried to pay for willow.tv to watch some series or other a year ago but couldn't due to location.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I use willow.tv - watched the India series and am watching England-Pakistan series too. It's not cheap but it's legal.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I use willow.tv - watched the India series and am watching England-Pakistan series too. It's not cheap but it's legal.
Can't get it in Australia though.

I'd like Giles Clarke to explain to me how if, for example, I watched the first Test between Pakistan and England using an illegal stream, that'd be at all bad for cricket. There was no legal way for me to watch that match at my location, but if I utilised an illegal stream service and was exposed to more cricket (and indeed Sky Sports advertising..), that'd somehow be bad for the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I pay (IIRC) £44.95 a month for my Sky. If it wasn't for the sports coverage (rugby + football as well as the cricket) I almost certainly wouldn't bother.

However some series aren't covered by Sky, so I have to "tune in" my "television" to other "channels" if I want to watch them.

Like the recent NZ visit to Zimbabwe, for instance. Great denoument and would've loved to watch on Sky, but it wasn't available in the UK.

Daemon

I have a tv with Ten and Star Cricket right in the living room but multitasking on the laptop while watching it on an illegal stream is just..better. I don't think I'll ever pay to watch cricket online as long as there's a free option. I'm cheap like that.

benchmark00

Can't get it in Australia though.

I'd like Giles Clarke to explain to me how if, for example, I watched the first Test between Pakistan and England using an illegal stream, that'd be at all bad for cricket. There was no legal way for me to watch that match at my location, but if I utilised an illegal stream service and was exposed to more cricket (and indeed Sky Sports advertising..), that'd somehow be bad for the game.
lol, if...