Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Virender Sehwag deserve to be called an ALL TIME GREAT?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Such liberal use of the term 'all time great' makes me uneasy.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    If the global rise in bowling standards translates to harder runz in the SC (it might!) he's barreling towards a <50 average.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    Yeah, his footwork seems to have reduced even more since he came back from Inury in recent times and he was struggling even at home.

He isn't in form and probably coming back from Injury clearly undercooked in England has contributed quite some.
    Just before the tour to Australia he made a 200 in a one day game. Was clearly striking the ball well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzamann View Post
    If the global rise in bowling standards translates to harder runz in the SC (it might!) he's barreling towards a <50 average.
    Seen alot of really promising pace bowlers coming through the ranks lately, not so much with spinners though.

There hasn't been a big difference in his footwork, IMO, think he's just been leaning back on the ball more than usual, his balance has been off.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Such liberal use of the term 'all time great' makes me uneasy.
    Yeah agreed.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    There hasn't been a big difference in his footwork, IMO, think he's just been leaning back on the ball more than usual, his balance has been off.
    Yep, I was watching the first innings with a mate (in b4 not having any m8s) and said exactly the same thing. When he's playing his little wofts outside off stump his weight is going towards square leg. Only one direction the ball can go in, and that's in the air.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    No more than Nev does
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Just before the tour to Australia he made a 200 in a one day game. Was clearly striking the ball well.
    He didn't need to move his feet that much in that knock, tbf. That is pretty much the only major knock he has played since coming back too.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Satguru View Post
    Depends on your definition of all time great really...
    All time great batsman in terms of exciting, destructive and entertaining batsmanship? Yes
    All time great against spin? Hell yes
    All time great in subcontinent conditions? Yup
    All time great Indian/ Asian batsman? Arguably in the top 10
    Has he played any great innings? Yup, plenty, the Galle double hundred, his triples, the madcap 80 odd in that great runchase against England was special too

All time great test batsman? Hmmm, not quite, but lets just say he's overrated by the general public, and underrated on the internet. He's still an asset to the team, he just cant adapt to all conditions, which is not something everyone can do

It HARDLY matters how good he is against spin.

Great players are those who play swing and pace well.....

I can't remember any legendary batsman struggling against spin.

As I said I think the category Is totally meaningless but I do think Sehwag is fairly extraordinary. He may be flawed batsman in many ways, you may even call him a flat track bully, but my god what a good one he is.

Pothas, you should know that appreciating a cricket for their uniqueness, effectiveness, entertainment or interest is besides the point, and all that matters is whther or not they fit into some sort of tier you arbitrarily decided on 5 minutes ago.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if you’re going to be rubbish, make sure it’s against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Banned
    ive no idea what all time great means.Its a fairly meaningless term.He is an overrated batsman who struggles against high quality bowling in helpful conditions.People may point to 100s in bloemfontein,nottingham,gros islet,malbourne and adelaide but these were all on placid tracks with little in them for the bowlers.any which way youre talking about 5 or 6 innings in a 100 test career.His style of play is not unique as his fans will have you believe.richards,gayle,warner,gilchrist play/ed in the same manner.He is an exciting batsman to watch on placid tracks and will go down as an entertainer.

State Vice-Captain
    Funny thing being he probably doesn't give a hoot if he goes down as an ATG or just another hack. He'll keep playing the same way till there's enough clamor for him to get dropped. So in that regard, in terms of sheer mental imperviousness coupled with general statistics, I'd say he's an ATG. There's no pretense to him, it's "just the way he plays". And this is just the romantic in me but I have a lot of time for someone in this day and age who has the stuff (or lack thereof) to just go out and do their thing. You either accept him, warts and all, or you go look for a more sedate bat.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 27-01-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    He has been a great servant for Indian cricket and that is all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information