• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

O' Tendulkar please retire now

Xuhaib

International Coach
You are the 2nd best batsman I have ever seen after Lara watching you scratch like that is kinda painful to watch. So do the right thing and call quits on your career after this game rather then keep searching for that meaningless 100th 100.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well if he does retire we'll be able to make jokes about his unwillingness to fight it out for the rest of his life

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm sure he's going to be crying in his rolls royce. On the other hand, when he retires, the amount of comparison threads on CW will drop by 50% he needs to do something to keep us interested.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure he's going to be crying in his rolls royce. On the other hand, when he retires, the amount of comparison threads on CW will drop by 50% he needs to do something to keep us interested.
He's kept the bowlers interested all series tbf.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I still had a bit of time for him before he announced his availability for the ODI series. He's won the WC, he'd helped India win the last tri series in Australia. He's completely soiled his legacy now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I still had a bit of time for him before he announced his availability for the ODI series. He's won the WC, he'd helped India win the last tri series in Australia. He's completely soiled his legacy now.
Omg he's playing the odis... Oh the horror!

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Omg he's playing the odis... Oh the horror!
Quite the horror..you can be an ostrich and believe it's for the sake of playing one last time in a country that's been kind to him. I'll play the cynic and think there's a 100 in there for the taking against SL at the very least. His fake modesty, rubbish about not knowing how many centuries he's scored...it all ties in nicely IMHO.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Reckon it'd actually speak volumes of him if he retired about him if he retired before his 100th 100. Would be like an enormous middle finger to all those who ever accused him of playing purely for stats.

Satguru

Banned
Honestly think its the wrong time for Tendulkar to retire now. Dravid and VVS should and probably will likely announce their retirement tomorrow. The batting lineup needs atleast one experienced guy, otherwise itll just be like a bunch of kids thrown into the deep end.Sachin should probably carry on for a couple more series imo and then retire when atleast a couple of youngsters like Pujara/Sharma/Badrinath have gained a bit of confidence at the test level. Replacing all the seniors at once would be a panicky, and ridiculous decision. :mellow:

Kohli now really looks the part to me, and will be the next great indian bat imo... he's been on two difficult away tours and after a bad start has really impressed in the last two tests, when almost everyone else failed. It'll make him mentally tough too... if he just sorts out his head, he'll be fab

miscer

U19 Cricketer
it'd be absolutely heart breaking to see the great master retire like this. I agree he should have retired at the end of the final of the Cup or now he needs to wait till a home series win and retire after the 100th 100 it'd be disgusting to see him retire like this.

people would even say (however mistakenly) that he was pressured to retire. he deserves better. even dravid does but nothing can be done about that.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Nah, he has to retire in India. No way in hell the most popular cricketer ever is retiring after a whitewash in Ozland.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Either that or he's just very good at keeping his personal life and personality out of the public eye, as anyone would be if they were one of the most worshiped individuals on the planet.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a **** thread.

He's in bad form. Everyone goes through bad patches of form; the fact that he's doing it post-35 doesn't automatically make it terminal - we've seen that with him once before and, for a more recent example, we've seen it with Ponting to.

And look, even if it is terminal in this case (and it's far too early to tell) then he shouldn't retire just because people don't like seeing him struggling. He should keep playing as long as he enjoys the game. It is perhaps a little different in his case than every other batsman's because the selectors would never dare drop him, but it still shouldn't really be on him to retire in the interests of other people. This is his passion, his career, his life, and if he wants to keep playing and is still deemed good enough then good on him. If you don't think he's good enough to be in the side anymore then you should call for his dropping; I mean I'd still disagree with that too but at least it'd be the right process. I've never had any time at all for the "you're not any good anymore; you should retire" argument - because it's not a reason within itself for a player to retire. It may be a reason to make a player stop enjoying his cricket, which is a reason to retire, but it's not a direct reason.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
No, he still has a role in Tests but I fail to see what more he can possibly achieve playing random ODIs. He scored tons to help win the last three-nation held in Oz, why the itch this year after a disastrous tour?