• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Longest bowling run up

thierry henry

International Coach
I dunno if this is a general trend but I watched some footage of a test in England in the 70s once and several of the bowlers had massively long run-ups. One in particular (I forget who) had a ridiculous run up of about 30 paces on a huge angle.

Also, check out David Lawrence's run-up from 1:24 onwards. Appears to go 25-30 paces (you miss a few at the start) for no apparent reason except extra exercise.

England v West Indies in 1991 - YouTube

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno if this is a general trend but I watched some footage of a test in England in the 70s once and several of the bowlers had massively long run-ups. One in particular (I forget who) had a ridiculous run up of about 30 paces on a huge angle.

Also, check out David Lawrence's run-up from 1:24 onwards. Appears to go 25-30 paces (you miss a few at the start) for no apparent reason except extra exercise.

England v West Indies in 1991 - YouTube
TH that is gold. Thanks for posting.

thierry henry

International Coach
I count 20 paces on the bit you see and there is a large chunk you don't see, might even be 30+. Also on a bizarre angle and his momentum is all over the place.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bob Willis immediately springs to mind, but none of the highlights of him online show his full run :(

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Waqar Younis used to run in from near the boundary sometimes, before his injuries at least. Worked for him though, can't argue with an ODI strike rate of 30.

Midwinter

State Captain
Micheal Holding was about 10 yards in from the fence at the MCG in the early 80's

Geoff Lawson looked like he ran 5 yards too far.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
My brother I reckon when he was about 10 years old... came in pretty much from the rope, and he was tiny. He was seriously flagging by the time he got to the stumps.

Himannv

International Coach
I think Wes Hall had quite a long runup. Was a bit like Holding when he ran in based on the limited footage I've seen.

Himannv

International Coach
My brother I reckon when he was about 10 years old... came in pretty much from the rope, and he was tiny. He was seriously flagging by the time he got to the stumps.
Remember a bloke I used to play with in Maldives who did something similar. He steams in all the way from the boundary line with his arms tucked in and excessively long strides. Fixes you with a nasty glare as he charges in. As soon as he comes to the crease, he stops abruptly, stands still bellows at the top of his voice. With no momentum at all used from his runup he hurls the ball at you with a bent arm and promptly falls to the ground. I remember the only reason we found it hard to put the ball away to the boundary was because we were laughing so hard.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In terms of unnecessary length, Martin Bicknell is hard to beat. Accelerated over his first couple of paces then kept the same pace for a further about 30 yards before bowling at a gentle loopy medium pace. Decent bowler, though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Geoff Lawson looked like he ran 5 yards too far.
Lawson adopted his exceptionally long run-up, I believe, in order to alleviate some of the strain that his action put on him.

Personally, I reckon Wes Hall must be a contender for the title - from watching highlights of the 60/61 series it seems that his full run-up starts down near the sightscreen.