• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Southee gets a bowl tomorrow at the last 3 wickets. Would be good for him to get amongst them. From what I watched Bracewell is out bowling him at the moment. Both of them, ostensibly, are similar in that they are outswing bowlers. Bracewell however has the better off cutter of the two and seams to get more seam movement in general.

I hope the competition amongst the seam bowlers is the making of Tim.
Being at the ground today, they were poles apart. Bracewell bowled into the wicket for long periods of time; Southee did it for 2-3 balls max.

Bracewell hits the bat harder, as you said bowls a better off-cutter (ask Michael Clarke), is mentally tougher and can work to a plan much better.

I don't think it would matter a jot if Southee got the last three. I don't think he believes he can get top-class batsmen out anymore in Test cricket. And with an average climbing well over 40, he's probably right.

Howsie

International Captain
Wow, Martin and Bracewell bowl downwind all day and look good, while Southee and Boult bowl into and don't. Amazing. Neither Boult nor Southee were very good today I'll admit that but when do they ever bowl into the wind? Boult doesn't, not for ND anyway. Hardly surprising that he would stuggle today.

Southee's got to fix a few things in his bowling action IMO. That roundarm **** isn't going to help him swing the ball that's for sure, and if he does it'll be from the hand.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching the highlights, van Wyk makes McCullum look like Joel Garner. How tall is he anyone?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Your ND lean is to be commended but Southee bowled averagely at both ends. Okay at the pavilion end, with due respect, but not anything particularly threatening. Neither do it at domestic level but what Test bowler does? It stands to reason most will go back to their provinces and get the choice.

End of the day, Martin is the senior bowler and is going to get the wind. Southee's job is likely to be into it, as is Boult. Those guys will get stints downwind in the 2nd dig with Vettori holding up an end - interested to see how they go then.

Tomorrow is massive. Huge. If we can knock them over for anywhere just in excess of 200, the opportunity is there with a flat deck, cold conditions the Proteas won't enjoy being out in and plenty of time to bat. The pitch didn't look all that quick to me so whilst I know they are in the express pace category, Steyn and Morkel should be negated to a point, Philander won't find as much from the seam, Kallis has a back injury and Tahir shouldn't come into it until the weekend.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult's going to be a gun, but I'm starting to have doubts for the current incarnation of Southee.

Him being dropped and playing a couple of seasons county cricket might not be a bad thing if it comes to it, provided the replacement performs to a better standard than Southee currently is.

Chubb

International Regular
Good watch at the ground today, even if it was freezing cold. Martin's spell after tea was superb, Bracewell was good, Boult poor. Have to admit it was satisfying to see Boucher fail. I've disliked him ever since I watched the Taibu sledging clip.

Worth the drive there and back from Invers. Might put some pics up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
MARTO!!! :wub:

If he's doing this on a Dunedin dungheap, just think what kind of havoc he'll wreak at the Basin in a couple of weeks. :ph34r:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm Philander batting below Steyn. Philander has a 26 FC average but has nearly as good a List A average and an even better T20 average. Which is very unusual, particularly for a lower order player. Usually it's difficult for inexperienced bowlers who can bat a bit to adjust to the different situations in limited overs crickets.

Anyway this day is all well and good, I think most of us went 'yea NZ can bowl out SA relatively cheaply' (assuming NZ don't **** it up in the morning) but can they follow it up. I'm struggling to see New Zealand getting more than a lead of 100. So they'll likely need to do this again and you're not always going to get Kallis and De Villiers out for 0. This is partly why South Africa are so volatile, get 2-3 of their top 5 out cheaply and they'll be struggling to break 250.

BeeGee

International Captain
Boult's going to be a gun, but I'm starting to have doubts for the current incarnation of Southee.

Him being dropped and playing a couple of seasons county cricket might not be a bad thing if it comes to it, provided the replacement performs to a better standard than Southee currently is.
AWTA.

Looking forward to see how Neil Wagner goes in NZ colours.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just watching the highlights. Van Wyk is freakshow short, isn't he? Reckon only James Taylor or Mushfiqur run him close in the shorthouse stakes.

Slight hint of James Kirtley in Boult's action too.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo said:
Martin has taken more wickets against South Africa than any other Test team - 47 in 11 matches, including this one, at 23.74 - and he has dismissed Graeme Smith and Jacques Kallis more times than any other batsmen in Tests: seven and six, respectively.
Decent stat there

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yep, only job for the groundsmen might be trying to dry up a heavy dew.

Perfect day to be a test batsman on a flat deck.