• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope those (and I remember one person in particular) who were trashing Chris Martin earlier in the summer are chewing on humble pie. The guy can go on until he's 40 as far as I'm concerned and I genuinely mean that.

His body is not one of a 37-year-old. He never breaks down, his fitness is impeccable, his experience is invaluable and he only plays one format for NZ so is able to get through a season better.

Hell, Sir Richard went on until 39 and he had a mountain of overs under his belt. Martin debuted at 26 from memory.

Trashing Chris Martin before he has an awesome couple of series is a CW tradition that I hope will continue for a few more years.

He's past it. Needs to be dropped. There are younger guys who need the experience!!!!
Haha, I was rubbishing the hell out of him & called for his head shortly before the Australian series. He's been magnificent ever since.:p

Zinzan

His ball to get out Kallis today was close to perfection as far as leg cutters go.
Certainly was a cracking delivery, but was it actually a leg-cutter or did it just straighten as opposed to swinging in like Martin's usual stock delivery?

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Certainly was a cracking delivery, but was it actually a leg-cutter or did it just straighten as opposed to swinging in like Martin's usual stock delivery?
Yeah definitely the lack of swing got him I reckon. Then the opposite happened to de Villiers. If Martin did that on purpose then full credit to him, brilliant bowling even if it was just how they came out.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Trashing Chris Martin before he has an awesome couple of series is a CW tradition that I hope will continue for a few more years.

He's past it. Needs to be dropped. There are younger guys who need the experience!!!!
Haha in that case...RT, as they'd say on Twitter.

I didn't get a real good look at the replay of Kallis' delivery but it seemed to stand up rather than cut away a hell of a lot. I've seen Kallis get out that way early in the past, just seemed like a real smart piece of bowling rather than any sort of massive shape.

What was it, something like we have 18 Tests in the next 2 years or something? Can't remember what it was...but whatever it is, we need all the experience we can get and people who can stay on the park. Chris Martin is that, no matter how old.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I will let someone else answer who saw it live - when I saw the replay I thought it angled in and then after bouncing moved towards slips.

Flem274*

123/5
So yeah, I have a confession.

This season I've started to like Chris Martin.

I mean, he's done everything I've been yelling about. No more defensive outside off stump lines, swing the ball, take wickets against someone other than South Africa. It's amazing how every time I rubbish him he seems to hear me.:ph34r:

Pre tea, it was freezing. After tea, when the sun poked out, it was actually reasonably pleasant. And funnily enough when it heated up, the ball started swinging. Thus blowing away all the 'there's cloud cover so it'll swing' theories given they parted at that stage.

I hope those (and I remember one person in particular) who were trashing Chris Martin earlier in the summer are chewing on humble pie. The guy can go on until he's 40 as far as I'm concerned and I genuinely mean that.

His body is not one of a 37-year-old. He never breaks down, his fitness is impeccable, his experience is invaluable and he only plays one format for NZ so is able to get through a season better.

Hell, Sir Richard went on until 39 and he had a mountain of overs under his belt. Martin debuted at 26 from memory.

That thread I made before his lolindia spell is one of my finest moments.:happy:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha in that case...RT, as they'd say on Twitter.

I didn't get a real good look at the replay of Kallis' delivery but it seemed to stand up rather than cut away a hell of a lot. I've seen Kallis get out that way early in the past, just seemed like a real smart piece of bowling rather than any sort of massive shape.

What was it, something like we have 18 Tests in the next 2 years or something? Can't remember what it was...but whatever it is, we need all the experience we can get and people who can stay on the park. Chris Martin is that, no matter how old.
It's also crucial we build a group of players, especially bowlers, who we can bring in when someone inevitably needs a game off with a niggle. The A team program for this winter has never been more important. We have to select with the next two seasons in mind, which means picking proven players even if they're not in great form two weeks before the squad is announced.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Do we have any A tours scheduled? I haven't heard/seen anything. I guess there will be an Emerging Players tournament some time later this year though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That thread I made before his lolindia spell is one of my finest moments.:happy:
Yeah I was saying time was up for Martin before that India tour. Or actually, I said if we weren't already fielding a bowling attack that was half near-debutants (McKay, Arnel, Bennett) plus Southee and Jeetan Patel then I would have dropped him.

Since then have not said a word of criticism of Mr Martin :happy:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Great start from NZ, but the real test will be batting. The drawback to bowling first is that it always gives your opponent the chance to hit back straight away, and SA will back themselves to do that.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I was saying time was up for Martin before that India tour. Or actually, I said if we weren't already fielding a bowling attack that was half near-debutants (McKay, Arnel, Bennett) plus Southee and Jeetan Patel then I would have dropped him.

Since then have not said a word of criticism of Mr Martin :happy:
I was very pessimistic after the test in Zimbabwe where we were saved by a debutant. Happily Marto smoked Hughestralia and faith was restored.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So yeah, I have a confession.

This season I've started to like Chris Martin.

I mean, he's done everything I've been yelling about. No more defensive outside off stump lines, swing the ball, take wickets against someone other than South Africa. It's amazing how every time I rubbish him he seems to hear me.:ph34r:

If it makes you feel any better, I definitely wasn't referring to you..more a certain pessimistic character from a nation famed for its whingers.

Bracewell certainly again showed today he's part of the attack for as long as he stays away from Jesse after hours (and stays behind the front crease) but I don't hold any sort of similar optimism for Southee nor Boult.

Southee was toothless today, never looked like making inroads. He didn't hit the deck particularly hard and didn't swing it after tea when Bracewell/Martin did. I don't know what it is but if someone pushes him, he might be gone. And I don't see Boult as a Test wicket-taker in anything other than friendly conditions or against minnows.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Southee gets a bowl tomorrow at the last 3 wickets. Would be good for him to get amongst them. From what I watched Bracewell is out bowling him at the moment. Both of them, ostensibly, are similar in that they are outswing bowlers. Bracewell however has the better off cutter of the two and seams to get more seam movement in general.

I hope the competition amongst the seam bowlers is the making of Tim.

Zinzan

FTR ever since I bagged Martin & called for his head his stats have been.....

4 Matches (2 v Aust, 1 v Zim & part v SA) 19 wickets @ 12.84 :p

Zinzan

I hope Southee gets a bowl tomorrow at the last 3 wickets. Would be good for him to get amongst them. From what I watched Bracewell is out bowling him at the moment. Both of them, ostensibly, are similar in that they are outswing bowlers. Bracewell however has the better off cutter of the two and seams to get more seam movement in general.

I hope the competition amongst the seam bowlers is the making of Tim.
Southee still lacks a bit of metal for mine especially when the going gets tough. Whether it's not getting into line when batting or his tendency to drift down the leg when bowling, he's just not mentally tough enough yet.

Days of Grace

International Captain
FTR ever since I bagged Martin & called for his head his stats have been.....

4 Matches (2 v Aust, 1 v Zim & part v SA) 19 wickets @ 12.84 :p
I'll add myself to this list. Definitely wanted him gone for Boult before the Australian series.

Martin a shot of joining the list of bowlers who have taken 100 wickets after their 35th birthday:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?agemin1=35;ageval1=age;class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=wickets;template=results;type=bowling

Should take inspiration from Courtney Walsh: such an underrated gun.

Last edited: