• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great bowling while I was watching - that Bracewell no ball hurt us however.

Philander looks quite sturdy as a batsman - will take some Bracewell action to get him removed I think.

No wickets for Southee which will get his critics talking.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Some really good cricket from us today - started not well, worked for the wickets and picked up a runout too. Martin is the man. And with 4 pace bowlers we can accept if one (Boult) is not at his best.

vandem

International 12th Man
When Rudolph last toured NZ he averaged 84 (!) and I seem to remember he survived a few half-chances and seemed to live a charmed life, and it really cost us. ....
But his key innings was at Eden Park, unfortunately for SA set them on the path to their loss. Coming in at 1-177 in 58th over, NZ bowling under pressure, he was still there at stumps 32 overs later, after blocking his way to 14*, and had managed to bat the bowlers back into some form. Eventually nicked out next morning for 17 from 101 balls. His 154* in 2nd innings was brave but too late.

2nd Test: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland, Mar 18-22, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, really didn't expect NZ to get 7 scalps in a truncated day. I only watched the last 20 mins but it really didn't look overly difficult for batting, so NZ must be hoping for a decent lead.

Incidentally, Philander's no mug with the bat, averages 27 in FC cricket with 2 hundreds.

SeamUp

International Coach
NZL will be most happy but if the last 3 wkts for South Africa add another 60 to 80 runs tomorrow I think South Africa will be more than pleased. Vernon is a very handy batsman.

When the sun is out, the ball does just enough through the air and at times it hoops. Brilliant contest between bat and ball.

Unbelievable that rough has already started.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZL will be most happy but if the last 3 wkts for South Africa add another 60 to 80 runs tomorrow I think South Africa will be more than pleased. Vernon is a very handy batsman.
I'd go a step further & suggest SA would be disappointed (and NZ happy) if they get anything less than 50 for the last 3 wickets as it's not like Tahir & Morkel are total bunnies either.

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd go a step further & suggest SA would be disappointed (and NZ happy) if they get anything less than 50 for the last 3 wickets as it's not like Tahir & Morkel are total bunnies either.
Fair point. I guess it will also depend on whether its to cold for lateral movement to start with tomorrow morning as well.

Vettori should have Morkels number. He is useless against any form of spin.

Tahir is the unknown. Can come out and hit a quick 30 out of nowhere or get a duck trying to smack his first ball for 6.

Briony

International Debutant
As predicted poor day for SA but they can't expect much more when they rock up without any warmup games before the first test and most of them haven't didn't play in the ODIs.

They probably will improve as the tests go on but they're liable to put in some terrible performances, like today.

And it was an old man who did most of the damage.:)

Briony

International Debutant
Looked bloody cold. Then again I went there some years ago in the middle of summer, stayed in a castle and we had nothing but misty rain!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Pre tea, it was freezing. After tea, when the sun poked out, it was actually reasonably pleasant. And funnily enough when it heated up, the ball started swinging. Thus blowing away all the 'there's cloud cover so it'll swing' theories given they parted at that stage.

I hope those (and I remember one person in particular) who were trashing Chris Martin earlier in the summer are chewing on humble pie. The guy can go on until he's 40 as far as I'm concerned and I genuinely mean that.

His body is not one of a 37-year-old. He never breaks down, his fitness is impeccable, his experience is invaluable and he only plays one format for NZ so is able to get through a season better.

Hell, Sir Richard went on until 39 and he had a mountain of overs under his belt. Martin debuted at 26 from memory.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Trashing Chris Martin before he has an awesome couple of series is a CW tradition that I hope will continue for a few more years.

He's past it. Needs to be dropped. There are younger guys who need the experience!!!!