• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't Woodcock the opposite to Sinclair and Franklin in that he performs above his ability due to his mental strength and self-conviction, rather than below his level due to a lack of the aforementioned?
yeah yeah I'm just using a convenient analogy and stretching it as far as possible.

... on that note, while I think Sinclair's problems at the top level were largely mental, Franklin by comparison as a test batsman has more than enough technical problems.

Have just noticed article on test spots on stuff, though it assumes Ryder fit. Contains excellent Rob Nicol photo. It's a pity neither Broom or Flynn seem like an option at the moment.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah yeah I'm just using a convenient analogy and stretching it as far as possible.

... on that note, while I think Sinclair's problems at the top level were largely mental, Franklin by comparison as a test batsman has more than enough technical problems.

Have just noticed article on test spots on stuff, though it assumes Ryder fit. Contains excellent Rob Nicol photo. It's a pity neither Broom or Flynn seem like an option at the moment.
Yeah; Franklin had already "made it" as a Test cricketer with his new ball bowling; converting himself into a batsman after his injury in his mid 20s was always going to be a bit a "hail Mary" regardless of the batting talent he had as a kid. I'm more surprised that he's been so ridiculously awesome domestically than I am that he's failed at Test level, and technical problems from someone who played top flight cricket into his mid 20s as a player that didn't need to worry much about his technique are all to be expected. A confident, self-assured Franklin even post-injury should be able to average low to mid 30s with both bat and ball in Tests IMO which would be a great foil to Vettori and it was certainly worth the punt but his batting problems certainly aren't as much "all his head" as Sinclair's, no.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Ryder :disgust:

Can't see how we can put him in the test side when he's like this.

I guess we really might have to consider one of Nicol, Franklin or even KVW for Brownlie's test spot. Am I forgetting anyone? I seriously hope so...
I read an article today on stuff that mentioned Rob Nicol as an option for the test team but what exactly has he done to warrent a test cap? George Worker probably has better credentials.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I read an article today on stuff that mentioned Rob Nicol as an option for the test team but what exactly has he done to warrent a test cap? George Worker probably has better credentials.
Yeah I mentioned his distinct lack of Plunket Shield performance earlier but we all know selection (unfortunately) doesn't really work like that and that if scores runs in the ODIs and a batting spot opens up in the Test side he'll probably snag it.

Mike5181

International Captain
Franklin should slot straight into Brownlie's spot if Ryder is unfit. He's looked really good at the crease lately.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
So Vettori 5 and Franklin 6?

Show that to someone who hasn't followed NZ cricket recently and they will think we are playing 4 batsmen :wacko:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why is NMac out? Resting him for the tests? :p

Our lower order that failed miserably to boost us from a well-set position last two matches is now even weaker.

Edit: Despite myself am pleased Ryder is fit. We need a hundred today and he's close to our best chance for that.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was going to come here to say South Africa's team just got stronger with Smith being out, but then I looked at his replacement. Oh dear. South Africa really have such a massive gulfs between their better players and then their lesser first XI players and then their reserves.

Briony

International Debutant
Was going to come here to say South Africa's team just got stronger with Smith being out, but then I looked at his replacement. Oh dear. South Africa really have such a massive gulfs between their better players and then their lesser first XI players and then their reserves.
There would be better player back in SA than Ontong, including Levi. Hard to fathom how he keeps getting a gig.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Actually enjoying listening to Neil Manthorp on radio commentary, surprisingly considering everything I've ever read that's he's written has annoyed me.

Steyn only 3 overs - surprising.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Dropped! Thankfully as with weak lower order today we can't afford to be any more than say, 3 down after 35 overs.