• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Aren't the straight boundaries at Eden Park 68-70 metres, roughly the same as grounds like the MCG and the Gabba?
Not even close. Doing my old "measure it on Google Earth" trick (length x width):

Eden Park is 118m x 141m
MCG is 149m x 174m
Gabba is 149m x 170m

These measurements are the dimensions of the playing surface, so the length of the boundaries is obviously going to vary depending on the orientation of the pitch and where the ropes are put. But Eden Park is obviously much much smaller by any measure.

Edit: also interesting to note in the context of Mills' comments, that Seddon Park's playing surface is actually pretty big by NZ standards at 130m x 133m. Also that the Cake Tin is about the same width as the Adelaide Oval, which has historically been noted for its short square boundaries.

Edit edit: further investigation reveals that Eden Park's surface is now almost the exact same size as the old Carisbrook, so it'd make more sense to reorient the pitch at Eden 90 degrees.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Not even close. Doing my old "measure it on Google Earth" trick (length x width):

Eden Park is 118m x 141m
MCG is 149m x 174m
Gabba is 149m x 170m

These measurements are the dimensions of the playing surface, so the length of the boundaries is obviously going to vary depending on the orientation of the pitch and where the ropes are put. But Eden Park is obviously much much smaller by any measure.
I take it all of those grounds are effectively the "wrong way around", so the shorter distance is straight and the long boundaries are to the sides?

Anyway, they've shown measurements of the straight boundaries for all of these grounds on the telly this year and each ground had a straight boundary of just shy of 70 metres at one point or another. It's apparent at Eden Park that they have the ropes back as far as possible whereas they are in a substantial distance at the Aussie grounds, so the point still stands.

btw, it's funny how everyone goes on about the huge MCG boundaries when it's basically the same size as the GABBA?

thierry henry

International Coach

Eden Park is 118m x 141m
MCG is 149m x 174m
Gabba is 149m x 170m

Edit: also interesting to note in the context of Mills' comments, that Seddon Park's playing surface is actually pretty big by NZ standards at 130m x 133m. Also that the Cake Tin is about the same width as the Adelaide Oval, which has historically been noted for its short square boundaries.

Edit edit: further investigation reveals that Eden Park's surface is now almost the exact same size as the old Carisbrook, so it'd make more sense to reorient the pitch at Eden 90 degrees.
That surprises me about Seddon Park as it always seems like a real 6 hitter's ground. The straight boundary towards the embankment always appeared very short to me.

thierry henry

International Coach
It would make more sense to reorient the pitch 90 degrees at the MCG, Gabba and Eden Park. Funny how so many grounds are oval but the pitch is facing the wrong way.

Dick Rockett

I take it all of those grounds are effectively the "wrong way around", so the shorter distance is straight and the long boundaries are to the sides?
Yup.

they've shown measurements of the straight boundaries for all of these grounds on the telly this year and each ground had a straight boundary of just shy of 70 metres at one point or another.
Well the distance to the boundary is obviously going to be slightly more than half the length of the field because of the length of the pitch.

btw, it's funny how everyone goes on about the huge MCG boundaries when it's basically the same size as the GABBA?
I think there used to be a bigger disparity. The Gabba used to have a dog track around the outside so the field used to be smaller, plus I'm almost certain that the MCG's field has shrunk slightly during its redevelopment. I've measured its square boundaries before and remember them being over 180m.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

Eden Park is 118m x 141m
MCG is 149m x 174m
Gabba is 149m x 170m

Think they're more noted as short in comparison to the insanely long straight boundaries - almost 100 metres from the batsman at their longest!

Dick Rockett

It would make more sense to reorient the pitch 90 degrees at the MCG, Gabba and Eden Park. Funny how so many grounds are oval but the pitch is facing the wrong way.
I think the members might have a thing or two to say if you reoriented the pitch at the MCG!

Think they're more noted as short in comparison to the insanely long straight boundaries - almost 100 metres from the batsman at their longest!
Yeah, that too. The square boundaries aren't so short in relative terms these days but back when I was a kid they were. And the boundary was right on the damn fence too, because the players back then were made of sterner stuff ;)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Eden Park is 118m x 141m
MCG is 149m x 174m
Gabba is 149m x 170m

I guess you need about 10m each way for straight hits (since you're not actually batting from the centre of the pitch), subtract 10m each way if you top edge it over your head/keeper. So for straight hits and square hits you're needing roughly about the same distance to reach/clear the rope on those grounds.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ryder :disgust:

Can't see how we can put him in the test side when he's like this.

I guess we really might have to consider one of Nicol, Franklin or even KVW for Brownlie's test spot. Am I forgetting anyone? I seriously hope so...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sinclair, bro.
Oh you want a domestic hero who, if circumstances had been different might have been an excellent middle order batsman for the country, but has always shown alarming mental frailties at the top level? One who is doomed to failure because they will be dropped for Brownlie for the second test anyway? This looks like a job for...

JAMES FRANKLIN!

... because you might as well choose the 31 year old version rather than the 36 year old.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Remember the last time we played tests against South Africa on that horrible tour where everybody got injured?

I'm just waiting for the press release that Taylor won't be fit in time for the first test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh you want a domestic hero who, if circumstances had been different might have been an excellent middle order batsman for the country, but has always shown alarming mental frailties at the top level? One who is doomed to failure because they will be dropped for Brownlie for the second test anyway? This looks like a job for...

JAMES FRANKLIN!

... because you might as well choose the 31 year old version rather than the 36 year old.
You might as well choose the one who doesn't play for Wellington IMO.